Thread: Conn Rhapsody 627 repair, cleaning, and sound questions

Conn Rhapsody 627 repair, cleaning, and sound questions

Hi, I just got a1966 Conn Rhapsody 627 organwhich I am really enjoying though I am a total organ newbie. I have a couple of questions though since I'm new to the organ world. </P>

1. The organ has a high pitchedtibia tone (C#) that keeps playing no matter what. I can quiet it to some degree by not pressingthe Sustain Tibia Long tabor tibia tabs and/or quieting tibia tones. I found thespecific tone generatorthat is used for this noteand I opened the back and took a look at it, it's got some brown tar looking crud on it but a few othertone generators havethat crud and they aren't always playing. Does anyone have suggestions on how to fix the constant C# tone.</P>

2. I'mnew to organ repair but I have the service manual, am somewhat handy,and want to give it a go - I wassurprisedto find out that you could get a shock even if the organ is not plugged in (thanks google). Does anyone have suggestions on which parts to stay away from to avoid shocks . Other than that, if I just go in with one hand,will I avoid a shock?
    </P>

3. So the innards have some dust, but it is not terrible. What should I do to clean the thing out. Should I clean off the tubes or is it just going to cause more problems with finger oil, damage, etc?Some things I've seen are compressed air or a dry paint brush to clean off the dust. Ibought crc 2-26, should I use that tocleancontacts (some posts say yes, some say no..... and no I'm not even sure where the contacts are right now)</P>

4. Can anyone recommend a setting for the conn rhapsody organ to approximate a hammond sound or a 60s rock vibe. Please no bashing, I know it's nota hammond, but I'm abig Dylan fan and would like to getsomething blonde on blonde-ish or even a radiohead fake plastic tree's sound on my sweet conn. </P>

Thanks foryourhelp. </P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>

Re: Conn Rhapsody 627 repair, cleaning, and sound questions

The constant sounding note is called a cipher and it is more likely being started in the "keying" area than at the generator. Use a plastic tool set from radio shack and try to move the wire contact for that note. You will find lots of information in the archives about keying and appropriate cleaning.</P>

Definitely clean the tubes, especially the contact surfaces both male and female -- and allow a good amount of time for chemical drying before you apply power again.</P>

Big difference between Conn and Hammond but to come close apply both tremulant and the rotary speaker at the same time, concentrating mostly on the flute tones. I gave away a 720 and the recipient disconnected completely the "main" circuit because he wanted to play Hammond style.</P>

Above all, enjoy!</P>

Go to the search window and type in CONN. It will pull up several service posts and threads about cleaning contacts, and stuff like that. Not sure if your model has keyer diodes in the keying circuits....but on some later models, if a diode goes bad, it causes a cipher. Have a look in your service book if it's not a bent contact.

Thank you all for your help. I'm going to check the keying section now. This is a great community. I gotta say, the technology of my organ is so cool, I love thesewell made American products that have tubes, no chips, and could probably survive a tornado. Iwas shocked to find out the organ weighs 285. How I ever moved it I don't know. </P>

Hi, I have a Conn 627. I'm pretty sure that a C# note that is continuously humming (and is louder with tibia stops are pressed) is a sustain cipher. I've taken out the keyer for the note in question; to make sure I had the right keyer, I unplugged the plug from the tone generator to this keyer and the cipher went away (but there was static noise when I played the note). In any event, I've attached photographs of the keyer section in case it helps. The problem keyer is the second from the left when viewed from the top. I've ran an ohmeter across the bottom of the keyer circuitry and it did not read any different than the other sections. Is the resistor (white tube) the likely culprit? Is it perhaps that there is a bad charge in the resistor and if I discharged it from the resistor, the keyer will work? If this doesn't work, can I just swap in a new resistor. To avoid this, I've tried to get the whole keyer assembly from several online places - but I was unsuccessful. Any help in getting the keyer working again so that the cipher is gone would be greatly appreciated! Sincerely, Elvis333
    Attached Images Attached Images

There are alot of smaller Conn's selling under $50 in my area. If you have the room, I'd suggest you shops thrift stores and craigslist for a parts organ and swap out the whole board. Organ service Corporation was selling Conn parts. Is that one of the sources you've already tried? The cylinders are paper wrapped capacitors. You'd need to check you manual for the values and measure them (discharged through a 1 ohm resistor) with a voltmeter.

If necessary you can replace them with comparable axial caps by shopping mouser electronics.