Thread: New Sample Sets for GrandOrgue/MyOrgan Users

New Sample Sets for GrandOrgue/MyOrgan Users

Hi Guys,

Two new free (Creative Commons) sample sets for GrandOrgue are now available at www.familjenpalo.se/vpo/download. The first set is of the organ in the Bureå Funeral Chapel. The second is of the 3 man + ped instrument (33 stops) of Bureå Church, Sweden. The Church sample set (prepared by Lars Palo and Graham Goode) is in it's first beta release now and we'd love to get feedback from users to be able to make it even better!

This Church organ was built in 1967 by Hammarbergs Orgelbyggeri AB for the church in Bureå, Sweden.

Pedal (30 notes, C-f1)
    Subbas 16'
    Principal 8'
    Gedakt 8'
    Oktava 4'
    Nachthorn 2'
    Rauschpfeife IV
    Basun 16'
    Trumpet 4'

Huvudverk (I) (56 notes, C-g3)
    Principal 8'
    Gedakt 8'
    Oktava 4'
    Rörflöjt 4'
    Oktava 2'
    Sesquialtera II
    Mixtur V
    Trumpet 8'

Svällverk (II)(56 notes, C-g3)
    Rörflöjt 8'
    Salicional 8'
    Principal 4'
    Hålflöjt 4'
    Valdflöjt 2'
    Ters 1 3/5'
    Nasat 1 1/3'
    Septima 1 1/7'
    Scharf III
    Skalmeja 8'
    Tremulant

Bröstverk (III) (56 notes, C-g3)
    Gedakt 8'
    Koppelflöjt 4'
    Rörkvint 2 2/3'
    Principal 2'
    Oktava 1'
    Cymbel II
    Krumhorn 8'

There is an organ definition file for the original specification, and a modified version included with 60 general combinations added as well as a GC.

Let us know what you think!

GrahamG

Graham, good job as usual. i really like the sound of the three manual organ. Some of the stops need to come up in volume, and the 4' octave on the Huvudverk was too loud, but what a beautiful sound! And you can't beat the price.

This organ reminds me of the Marcussen set that was the first three manual set available commercially for Hauptwerk. But it is much better than that set. My only real criticism is that it does not fit on the small monitor i use with my Hauptwerk setup, but I am going to rework the definition file to take care of that.

Keep up the good work.

Mike

Graham, I have found two notes of the Huvudverk 4' Octave that need to be relooped. They are the E flat and A flat in the first (bass) octave. Otherwise, I am impressed!

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the feed back. We'll fix the loops in the HV Oktave 4 and reduce it's volume. Once we release the final version we will have a smaller .organ definition for users with smaller screens too

We're in the middle of creating the 'extension' ranks - making the organ quite a bit bigger. So we will release it as 'Original' and as 'Extended'.

All the best,
    GrahamG

You're doing good, Graham. Look forward to the extended set. You might have a look at the stops in the Svallwerk, too-they dont' seem in balance with the rest of the organ, except for the 4' Principal, Scharf III, and Skalmeja 8'. I of course imported the organ into Hauptwerk III, and was able to use the voicing controls to do the job, but it would be good to do it within the definition file itself.

Overall, a nice organ.

Mike

Hi Guys,

Hi!

Now the beta 2 of Bureå Church sampleset for GrandOrgue is finally uploaded and available for download at the same http://www.familjenpalo.se/vpo/download as before. But it's quite a bit bigger now! (it's around 1 GB compressed as a 7-zip archive)

For the original version the main change is that we've been tuning the organ at a1=442 since the principals were already quite high. There's also a new layout for older screens in 4x3 ratio with combinations added. And finally there's an extended version with 63 speaking stops arranged in AGO fashion. All extensions come from the original organ's pipes.

Be sure to check out the OrganInfo folders .html file for more info.

I've managed to load and play the extended version on a 2 GB RAM computer running the Linux build of GrandOrgue with the "lossless compression" and "randomize pipe speaking" options disabled (unticked in the Audio Settings).

As before, there might be flaws we have missed so keep both ears open for mistakes in loops or releases and please notify us so we can correct it and supply patches until we reach final release quality.

Have patience downloading and fun playing with it!

Lars Palo and Graham Goode

Having just gotten home from visiting parents on both sides, I have only downloaded the new version, and have not had time to transfer it to my Hauptwerk setup (hope to do that tomorrow). I must say, from looking at the new extended specification, that you have really done some work on this, Lars and Graham, and I look forward to playing it in the next several days. Thank you for all your good work.
    Last edited by m&m's; 11-28-2010 at 03:25 AM.
    Mike

Owner of an Allen MDS 317 and working
    on a customized Hauptwerk organ using a
    3 manual Rodgers console. I play a 40 rank
    pipe organ on Sunday.

Hi Mike,

It was a lot of fun creating the extended version. We've also done some more balancing of the ranks in the original version. Hope you enjoy it.

GrahamG