Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hammond moving?

Hammond moving?

Is there a sticky or thread that discusses moving hints and things not to do when you move a Hammond?

Like...
    Can you lay one on it's back to make sure it does not fall over on hard corners or very bumpy roads?
    Things to secure or bolt down before you move it?
    Where to put straps and where not to

Newbie things like that.

Thanks

1. Lock down the tone generator. Lock down the tone generator. Lock down the tone generator.
    2. Buy ROK's.
    3. You can lay it on it's back, side, or upright, so long as it doesnt fall over.

Different models are different, but I have done 400 lb H100 and 250 lb A100. Yes you can lay down, but put plywood or a blanket in the truck before you do so to protect veneer. Take music rack off first. No weight on the back, it is masonite. I truck the H on a 4 wheel piano dolly, much cheaper than roll-a-lifts and the metal box holds it up fine. Was nervous about the A100 and moved it on its side on the cart, but the bass box on it looks strong enough to move upright on the 4 wheeler. If you have a truck with side rails you can leave the organ on the dolly and strap it to the wall under the keyboard and behind the legs. Use 2" wide nylon straps rated 2000 lb. Aeroquip designed them but the HF copies seem to work if more clunky. A rope loop under the strap is useful for winching the organ up the truck ramp or house stairs, if you don't feel like superman or have 3 hefty friends. Have an extra guy to balance the organ at all times when rolling, as it is top-heavy and want to roll over. If crossing dirt, two sheets of 23/32" plywood or 16 ga metal sheet is useful for rolling. A porta-pull and a log chain is useful for winching. An 8' pipe through a door (padded by phone books against the wall) is useful for a tie point to winch the organ up and down. Use a chain loop over for the hook. If you don't rent a dolly, buy a 4-5" wheel rubber pad oak dolly from new haven moving equipment or mcmaster.com (online). Mine is the 1200 lb model from mcmaster. Used the new haven ones professionally for a couple of years, but when I went to their store in Louisville to buy one, they had moved to Oldham county, and it takes me $12 gas to drive out there, so I shipped the mcmaster one from Cleveland for $10. New Haven Moving equipment. has 5 stores nationally. Take a look at their piano board while on site, and build one out of 2"x12"x8' plus a 4x4 and some nails, if you have to go up or down more than one stair- keeps the veneer on the bottom of the organ smooth skidding across the stair edges.
    To dspiffy's point one, I didn't lock down the A100 TG, but it had never been released by the store in the first place. The back had never been off, it still had all its lead screw anchors.
    city Hammond H-182 organ (2 ea),A100,10-82 TC,Steinway 40" console piano, Sohmer 39" piano, Ensoniq EPS, Wurlitzer 4500, Dynakit ST120, ST70 amps, Herald Ra88 Mixer, Peavey SP2XT speakers,BIC turntable; country Hammond H112.

Excellent tips.
    I have a 4 wheel dolly I made myself for moving my movie projector around (1054 lbs) but it is not real big. I also have an engine hoist that came in handy for the projector, but don't think that would help in this situation. Also a come-a-long and a chain fall.
    I think I might be part Egyptian

Thanks
    Keep them coming!

Get more helpers than you really need, too.
    No less than one other than yourself....
    -1958 Hofner 550 archtop acoutic guitar -1959 C3 and PR40- -1964 Busillachio Harmonium- -1964 M101-
    -1967ish Leslie 122- -1975 T500 (modded..chopped, and reassembled!)-
    -DIY 760 FrankenLeslie/rat hideout-
    -1980 Electrokey Electric Piano- -Yamaha electric Harmonium (early 80's?)-
    -1990 Jansen GMF150 amp- -1992 Korg 01W/fd- -1992 G&L S-500 geetar.

Quote Originally Posted by dspiffy View Post
    1. Lock down the tone generator. Lock down the tone generator. Lock down the tone generator.
    2. Buy ROK's.
    3. You can lay it on it's back, side, or upright, so long as it doesnt fall over.

I just bought my first Hammond, an M111, and made sure to bring a flashlight and wrench to lock down the tone generator. Unfortunately, I wasn't educated enough to know what I was looking for (other than the black and white drawing from the HammondWiki) and the guy tried to hurry me up going "I don't think it has those springs. I don't think this model has em!"

Luckily for me, nothing bad happened in the trip back to my house, and everything plays fine. I will definitely be locking that thing down when I move it next!

Also, my dad came up with an idea to try and move our M111. It has to go down 2 1/2 flights of stairs to my apartment, so we can't dolly it down. Our plan is to use a pair of 2x2s, connected with these - http://www.amazon.com/Above-All-Fore.../dp/B00005TPUZ - to create a makeshift stretcher. One 2x2 under the keyboard, the other resting on the back of the instrument. We'll put something between the organ and the 2x2s.

That should work, right?

Amazing, in the 70's we carried around a B-3 for years without ever locking down the TG. The organist still has that B-3 in his living room and it runs perfectly.

I keep reading stories about how rugged Hammond's are so why so much focus on the lockdown?
    Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob-i View Post
    Amazing, in the 70's we carried around a B-3 for years without ever locking down the TG. The organist still has that B-3 in his living room and it runs perfectly.

I keep reading stories about how rugged Hammond's are so why so much focus on the lockdown?
    the board turns to sawdust if you don't, thats basically it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob-i View Post

Well, as my annoying cousin used to say: Better safe than sorry!