Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have a Hammond Organ. M3 -A1-65084

I have a Hammond Organ. M3 -A1-65084

This organ still works and is in VERY good condition.I would like to know how much it is worth. I have pictures if needed and if there is anyone wishing to purchase it let me know.

Bolingbrook-Woodridge-Lisle suburbs of Chicago
    Your question leaves some open assumptions which play into an estimate. Where are you, as shipping will cost more than the value. Are you buying it, are you an active player trying to sell it, or is this disposition of an inheritance/family issue.

These instruments are from 50 to 65 years old. Whether they had annual proper oiling, were played regularly, had the capacitors replaced, all factor into the value. Improper oiling or the instrument just sitting for 20-30 years greatly reduce what is already a very small value. I found an M-3 in perfectly good condition in a populated middle class suburb of Chicago at the curb about to go to the garbage.

While these are probably the loveliest spinets of that era, and fully restoreable by a dedicated player, they are only worth $50-$250 depending on location and condition, more hidden than apparent. Many ask much much more on craigslist and Ebay, but anyone can ask whatever they want. Few if any get it.
    Larry K
    Bolingbrook, il

Hammond Colonnade, Aurora Custom, Digital Piano for now
    Retired: Hammond L-102, M-3, S-6, H-112, B-2+21H+PR-40, B-3+21H.

I agree with Larry; actually I was going to go just a tad wider on the range, $0 - $300. The upper end of the range would be reserved for M3s that are in good working order and perfect "living room" cosmetic condition. If yours happens to be in one of the rarer finishes, that can help push it toward the higher range as well. In order of more common (=less valuable) to more rare (=more valuable), they go: Walnut (most common), Cherry (less common but not exactly rare), Blond (pretty rare), Ebony (I've only seen a handful, ever.)

The 0$ figure isn't a real reflection of worth per se; it's just that a lot of people can't be bothered to try to sell them, so they just give them away to anyone willing to haul them off. (That, and a lot of people also give them away because they don't know Hammonds like yours need to be oiled, so they think they need expensive repair work.) But I would think you should be able with only a little effort to get into the $50 - $100 range almost anywhere in the USA.

Good luck with yours!

td
    Nobody loves me but my mother,
    And she could be jivin' too...

--BB King

give your location as some areas have loads of M3, others not so much....pictures are good too
    1956 M3, (2)51 Leslie under upgrade, 860 (130 powered)Leslie with Preamp, S08 Yamaha and two K2000S, Young Chang spinet, Roland VR700 clone and Korg SV-1 73
    Looking for that mythical cheap or free A, BV, CV, C2, C3 or A100 but wouldn't say no to a free B3

Quote Originally Posted by toasterDude View Post
    I agree with Larry; actually I was going to go just a tad wider on the range, $0 - $300. The upper end of the range would be reserved for M3s that are in good working order and perfect "living room" cosmetic condition. If yours happens to be in one of the rarer finishes, that can help push it toward the higher range as well. In order of more common (=less valuable) to more rare (=more valuable), they go: Walnut (most common), Cherry (less common but not exactly rare), Blond (pretty rare), Ebony (I've only seen a handful, ever.)

The 0$ figure isn't a real reflection of worth per se; it's just that a lot of people can't be bothered to try to sell them, so they just give them away to anyone willing to haul them off. (That, and a lot of people also give them away because they don't know Hammonds like yours need to be oiled, so they think they need expensive repair work.) But I would think you should be able with only a little effort to get into the $50 - $100 range almost anywhere in the USA.

Good luck with yours!

td
    Kinda funny coincidence.... I had just read this thread and then was browsing on EB and saw an ebony M3 (first one I have ever seen). It looked pretty beat up and it sounded like it wasn't in working condition either. I think the guy was asking about $300. I don't understand how people can have some of these listed for close to a thousand dollars with no modifications (and sometimes the things aren't entirely working). Then again, I see people selling used neo ventilators for like $800 when you can buy a brand new one for $450... go figure

Hammond Organ M3-A1-65084

Hammond M 3 keys6-18-12 at 10.28 AM.jpgHammond back 6-18-12 at 10.26 AM #2.jpgHammond model 6-18-12 at 10.25 AM.jpgHammond M36-18-12 at 10.29 AM.jpg
    Hi folks,
    Well I have had it for about 3 years. Prior to that it was a friends who had to down size until her house was built and it was her Grandmothers. (The family are all musically talented in some way.) I am quite positive her Grandmother maintained it herself religiously. I on the other hand, was storing it (no charge) in my home for her until she moved into her home. I don't know why but since moving into her new home she hasn't spoken that was about 1 1/2 years ago so with this understanding I would rather see it go to someone who really cares about this kind of instrument. It is a cherry finish some scratches and tiny dings but nothing major. It works, we start it up once in a while to get it moving. I live in NC near Raleigh. BTW I really appreciate all the posts and education. I wish I played because I think this is a really cool instrument and a cool sound.
    Last edited by Cyndi Conway; 06-22-2012 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Figuring out image upload and placement

This is likely a pre-1959 due to the field coil speaker (means something to us). When you advertise the item, this is the standard Hammond red walnut finish, not cherry. We know these things on sight.
    Larry K
    Bolingbrook, il

OK Thanks Larry K. Appreciate the insight. I noticed most has a type of box speaker and this was inserted with in the organ. So my location is the big issue as to selling it. Where should I begin?

This forum has a for sale section, but the usual suspects are Craigslist, Ebay, local papers, local ads for posts similar to CL, here we have a Naperville Yard Sales.com. You might have something locally. Also theatreorgans.com. The more rural your locale, the more cumbersome the process. Just the way it is. The presence of a separate speaker that is a branded Leslie greatly enhance and exceed the actual value of the parent instrument, greatly depending on the model. If you do not have a separate speaker (there would be extra curved controls attached to the front rail of the organ) then values are as generally stated earlier.
    Larry K
    Bolingbrook, il

Just out of curiousity, would the year of an M3 play a part in the value? For instance, say there are two M3s.. same city location, both in good condition, identical color finish... One is a 1955 and the other is (let's say) a 1962 or whatever. Is there any added or less value depending on the age? I realize the difference would be pretty nominal given the overall price range, but I was just wondering.