Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hammond D-20 tone cabinet

Hammond D-20 tone cabinet

Hey Guys,
    Possibly one of the dumbest questions ever (don't laugh). D-20's don't have rotating speakers in them do they? I'm just a bit confused because I have seen one hooked up to an organ that has a Leslie half-moon switch. What would a switch like that do if there is no rotating speaker? Thanks

It depends. How many half moons did it have. The organ may have been wired for a leslie and has an installed connector kit but there just happens to be no Leslie connected and the switch would do nothing or one switch could be a main/echo switch where you can select Leslie only or leslie and tone cabinet etc...

Bolingbrook-Woodridge-Lisle suburbs of Chicago

D-20 did not have a rotating speaker, but DR-20 DID! A short lived, unsuccessful "squirrel cage" apparatus that was a shot at Don Leslie.
    And yes, a half moon shaped switch does not always control rotor speed. The main-ensemble-echo switch housing is identical. For example, and a-100 connected to a PR-40 might use one to select which or both systems sound.

A B-3 connected to 2 PR-40 might also use the same setup.

- - - Updated - - -

Make that DX-20 or DXR-20. DR was reverb.
    Larry K
    Bolingbrook, il

Hammond Colonnade, Aurora Custom, Digital Piano for now
    Retired: Hammond L-102, M-3, S-6, H-112, B-2+21H+PR-40, B-3+21H.

Wow, thanks guys! There was only one half-moon switch but can't see what it says... It's possible that it was setup for a leslie and just not connected.

Larry, forgive my cluelessness, but when you say "main-ensemble-echo" switch, does that mean it just turns reverb on or something? Or would it be for switching between different cabinets?

Oops, I just noticed that the metal plate on the back of the speaker says "model D-20" but underneath there appears to be a piece of paper with output cabinet instructions and on there it says "DXR type".... that part looks to be hand written with a marker or pen. When you say "unsuccesful" does that mean it sounds terrible, piece of junk or did the idea just never take off?
    Last edited by Tdawg; 06-21-2012 at 09:27 PM. Reason: found more info

Main means 1 speaker, or the interior speakers, Ensemble means both the internal and external, or initial external together, echo means the second speaker. In this old terminology, Echo has nothing to with reverb. Think of it like an A-AB-B switch.

Your last sentence, all three points are valid. At one point, Hammond issued service instructions to remove the rotor when servicing the cabinet.
    Larry K
    Bolingbrook, il

OK.. thanks for clearing that up for me Larry! So, assuming the "squirrel cage" is actually working I'm guessing these probably aren't worth much. Thanks again for the help!

The squirrel cage was mounted just under the top cover. If the original Mesh is there instead of cloth, you can look right in to see it.

Back in the dark ages when I was in High School, we had a poor beat up CV with 4 speakers, a DR 20 and 3 D 20s. I was always fond of the boomy bassy tone that came from these. Real old school Hammond sound.
    Larry K
    Bolingbrook, il

Cool! "boomy bassy tone" sounds good to me! Any idea on a ballpark price for one of these if it's in good working condition?

Very little, if any, monetary value. Most are abandoned in church basements or simply dumped from neglect. Also need to be aware of what and how and with what you are going to connect this. These are '40s speakers specifically designed for the '30s and 40's organs, and you don't want to inadvertently connect them to newer series with the incorrect cable configuration (B+).

It's hooked up to a '55 M3 and apparently functioning. (I'm assuming it was connected properly) I did see that the Leslie half-moon switch is the "main-ensemble-echo" switch you were talking about. I'm curious how the rotor would be controlled without a switch if it is indeed the DXR squirrel cage model. Were these just the "on-off" type or could the rotor speed be controlled?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast