Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Build a virtual organ versus buying a used console organ. Help please

Ok now I知 leaning very hard the virtual route 😀. Looking at a company that builds a package for you /ships them. Some assembly required of course. My fears about virtue are eased now that I致e learned a bit more about it. You folks on here are sooooo knowledgeable and so willing to help. Thank you so much. I値l let ya know what I end up doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    Are you sure of that date? As far as I can determine, Baldwin did not start experimenting with building organs until 1935 and most sources cite 1946 as the date Baldwin entered the commercial organ market. Would love to see a picture of that build plate!
    I am sure of the '3' in the tens column! It could have been a 1 or a 7 in the units column, but that was a '3' sure as shootin'. If my integrity is to be impugned in open forum, I think we should make this interesting. It's a slog back to Forest Grove, and Pacific College may, or may not be as excited as I to open up Old College Hall so I can perform forensics work on one of their art treasures. I will see what I can accomplish. In the meantime maybe you can get one of your console kits ready for a new home in Portland, OR should I actually be correct about that date!!

1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
    I am sure of the '3' in the tens column! It could have been a 1 or a 7 in the units column, but that was a '3' sure as shootin'. If my integrity is to be impugned in open forum, I think we should make this interesting.
    Whoa!

I'm not impugning your integrity. I'm only saying that I've never seen anything, anywhere, that has Baldwin producing organs prior to 1946. See this archive from Syracuse University for example. If indeed 1931 was the year of manufacture, and not, say, a serial number, then the historical record should be corrected.

Note that this site of electronic music history shows 1935 as the year the Hammond organ was introduced. If Baldwin were cranking organs out four years earlier, they should be given their due.

Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    Whoa!

I'm not impugning your integrity. I'm only saying that I've never seen anything, anywhere, that has Baldwin producing organs prior to 1946. See this archive from Syracuse University for example. If indeed 1931 was the year of manufacture, and not, say, a serial number, then the historical record should be corrected.

Note that this site of electronic music history shows 1935 as the year the Hammond organ was introduced. If Baldwin were cranking organs out four years earlier, they should be given their due.
    Admin, after all this time I didn't think I needed to use some kind of lame emoticon to indicate tongue in cheek faux outrage. Be at peace. I actually think that you are probably correct. You have made a solid case for 1931 being a serial number although it did not have an S/N or other identifier in front. I was so happy that the organ could be used at all (it took what seemed like 5 minutes or more for the tubes to warm up) that I really didn't consider the significance of the find. No doubt the instrument hadn't been used in decades and this has preserved it. It likely has not been used since I played it two summers ago. Chances are good it may never be used again in any kind of service. Maybe there is a registry online and the 'serial number' can be corroborated with Baldwin archived sales records or such?? Hmmm.

Virtual organ

Quote Originally Posted by donnad View Post
    Ok now I知 leaning very hard the virtual route 😀. Looking at a company that builds a package for you /ships them. Some assembly required of course. My fears about virtue are eased now that I致e learned a bit more about it. You folks on here are sooooo knowledgeable and so willing to help. Thank you so much. I値l let ya know what I end up doing.

Hi everyone. So I did decide to go the virtual route! I found a company in Minnesota to build an organ for me. I received the shipment recently. I did have a delivery fiasco with FedEx however. I was going to be out of town on the day delivery was to happen , so per FedEx instructions, I created a vacation hold, which did NOT work and they attempted delivery when I was gone. Very Long story short, they delivered it to me eventually. Some of the packaging had been seriously damaged so I was worried about what condition things would be in upon unpacking. (5 large packages including a fully assembled AGO pedalboard!!). To my amazement there was no damage. There are however some keys on the swell manual that are not behaving appropriately and that is being addressed. We have assembled the bench and the console. Will attach the key desk once keyboard issue is resolved. I知 excited and will post pics once I知 up and running!

What is the name of the company? Is the product Hauptwerk based? Does your instrument use touch screens?

Quote Originally Posted by Horseshoe_or View Post
    What is the name of the company? Is the product Hauptwerk based? Does your instrument use touch screens?
    Hi. The company is Arnold Organs / Custom Organ Works out of Minnesota. They build consoles etc and do custom builds, or package deals. I ordered a package deal that included a console, key desk with two Fatar keyboards, AGO pedalboard, bench, and I went with one expression shoe and no pistons (can create pistons in hauptwerk so I understand and I was trying to keep cost down). I will use my laptop to run it .....yes can add touch screens ....(the package did not include computer etc......you provide your own)....... then I bought speakers they recommended and a midi box. Later I値l probaby buy a touchscreen but to get going I値l just use laptop. Can稚 wait to get up and running. I play for church and am so excited about being able to practice at home soon.

My virtual organ is up and running and I知 so excited. It sounds great😀. I知 new here on this forum and I wanted to post a picture of my organ for you but I don稚 readily see how to do that. Please advise. Thanks😀

Quote Originally Posted by donnad View Post
    My virtual organ is up and running and I知 so excited. It sounds great😀. I知 new here on this forum and I wanted to post a picture of my organ for you but I don稚 readily see how to do that. Please advise. Thanks😀
    The answer to this and other Forum questions can be found in the FAQ
    http://www.organforum.com/forums/faq.php

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123