Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Organ Platform Build - Quick, but Sorta Crude

Sam,

Excellent work! I wish I had your skills and time. I'm not sure how quick and crude your platform was--I'd hire you any time!

I liked how you reinforced the ends where the casters (& weight) would be on the platform. That helps make sure they won't pull out when they meet the lip of the door between rooms. By any chance, can you take the organ off the platform and take photos of how you dealt with the screw holes for the casters on the surface area? (Just kidding!).

It can't be said enough--excellent work!

Michael

P.S. I really envy your work area. Fancy you making me fall into the sin of envy.
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Quote Originally Posted by myorgan View Post
    By any chance, can you take the organ off the platform and take photos of how you dealt with the screw holes for the casters on the surface area? (Just kidding!).
    That picture is in post #18. Thank goodness I remembered to take that picture before we put the organ on. There weren't any screw holes in the top of the platform. I used "x1" lag screws that went almost all the way through the platform. I pre-drilled the holes so that the screws wouldn't cause any bulges in the top of the platform. I probably could have used tee nuts sandwiched between the platform panels and the doublers and some "x" bolts but I didn't think that far ahead (and the lag screws will be plenty strong).
    Surprisingly, my brother and I didn't have too much trouble lifting the organ onto the platform and that was after lifting it out of the trailer and then up three steps into the house. I guess the advantage we have is that we are tall enough we don't have to lift with our arms. We just have to hold on and lift with our legs.
    Sam

Home: Yamaha P22 and a modified Allen ADC-4500 ... for now.
    Church: Allen MDS-5

Sam,

Now the $10 million question--when you play the pedals, does the sound of the action transmit to the platform? I played on an Allen in college that had a platform which came from either the dealer or the company. When I played the pedals, the platform amplified the sound of the pedals, and it was quite distracting. One almost had to tiptoe to keep from making a clattering sound. It was solved by fitting a couple sheets of insulation in the cavity under the pedals so that cavity didn't serve as a resonator.

I noticed how you made the dog "walk the plank" in post #18 too! It's like the steps were made for the trailer.

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Quote Originally Posted by myorgan View Post
    Now the $10 million question--when you play the pedals, does the sound of the action transmit to the platform? I played on an Allen in college that had a platform which came from either the dealer or the company. When I played the pedals, the platform amplified the sound of the pedals, and it was quite distracting. One almost had to tiptoe to keep from making a clattering sound. It was solved by fitting a couple sheets of insulation in the cavity under the pedals so that cavity didn't serve as a resonator.
    Michael,

The pedal action should transmit its vibrations directly to the floor.
    I was hoping that my design would result in the pedalboard bearing points occurring over the casters or the frame joists and not on an unsupported area of the platform. That should reduce the amount of vibration from the action that can get transferred to any diaphragm-like surfaces. Since the platform and organ are over hardwood floor that isn't the quietest, the floor might be just as much to blame as the platform if the pedal action noise is too much.
    So far (in the few minutes I've had to try it out), the platform doesn't seem to amplify the pedal action. I'll report back if it is too annoying and I have to take some platform dampening measures.
    Sam

Home: Yamaha P22 and a modified Allen ADC-4500 ... for now.
    Church: Allen MDS-5

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123