Thread: My New (to me) Allen ADC-8000DKC

My New (to me) Allen ADC-8000DKC

Well, I might as well make it official. In a few weeks, I'll be receiving an Allen ADC-8000DKC--with my long-awaited and long coveted 32' Pedal Reed! The questions I've been asking the last week are generally for the benefit of the shipper. There is one question I need to ask, because the photos don't appear to coincide with the recent information I received on the ADC-8000DKC materials from a service manual.

It appears Allen customized this organ for the initial purchaser, but only modified the Choir (see substitute stops pictured below--Bold are the new stops). Rather than the traditional Baroque-leaning Choir stops specified on the materials I received, it looks like the original purchaser wanted a more 1920s sound, or theatre sound. If I don't use the Vibrato, I'm wondering if the stops will blend well with the remainder of the organ, or if it will be too heavy sounding. Of course, I know I can probably voice most of the issues out of it, but don't want to alter it too much.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Michael
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Most of the early ADC stops aren't articulate anyway, so I'm really not sure how much difference it would make with the romantic replacements that you couldn't thin out with the tone controls.

However- I would really miss the original articulate Choir 8-4-2 flutes. I played an ADC-8000 every week for several years, and the Choir flute chorus was a nice foil to the Swell, both being some of the nicest sounding stops on the organ, and having (at least the 8 and 4) built-in articulation. You won't miss the Erzahler. You might miss the Viole Celeste, which again, with its Viole counterpart, was a nice, keener contrast to the Swell strings. I never cared much for the Choir chorus reeds on the ADC-8000 so probably not much lost there, and in early ADC, the Clarinet and Krummhorn are probably an even exchange.

Michael,

I thought you said the MRS was not allowing you acquiring any more organs. Or was it only another organ if you got rid of one.

The ADC, is quite large isn't it. What are your plans for it?

AV

Quote Originally Posted by arie v View Post
    I thought you said the MRS was not allowing you acquiring any more organs. Or was it only another organ if you got rid of one.

The ADC, is quite large isn't it. What are your plans for it?
    Arie,

The answer to your question is, "Yes." She'll find out in a few weeks, and we'll see which one goes. Time will tell.

Presently, my plans are to use it for the next Symphony concert. Because the new garage will be large enough for all the organs, I'm toying with some ideas around the space. Perhaps a rehearsal space for small ensembles, or even for small recitals for our students. Time will tell.

Thanks for asking.

Michael
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC

You old scoundrel!

Seriously, I am so proud for you, my friend! After all these years of longing for that 32' pedal reed. I do hope it will be everything you want it to be. If anyone deserves that organ, it's you.

I guess one might wring his hands over the obvious attempt at conversion of what must have been a really lovely and lively Baroque-ish choir division into what they may have thought would be a big heavy thick quasi-romantic division. ---Must have been in a Baptist church But, as has been said, there may not be much about it that you can't fix fairly well with the voicing controls.

Allen likes to accommodate their customers, but I don't think they would've built an organ that sounded really terrible, or created a division that wasn't going to work with the rest of the organ. Surely the replacement stops will be very nice examples of their type, even if you might have preferred the crisp articulate original voices. They might turn out to be quite interesting with a bit of treble boost and some cut to the bass, especially on the tibias.

I've only played a couple of 8000's in my career, and both of them were absolutely stunning. As close to getting that coveted "custom" organ sound as you can come in a stock model. You already know that some of the stops are created on special TG boards that are devoted to only one or two stops, the precursor to the vaunted TT-4 board. Those stops are going to really shine.

This is Allen done right, and you are going to be thrilled. Don't be afraid to get aggressive on the voicing of those choir stops. You can't hurt anything by making major changes to the spectral balance, and you should trust your ears as you try to reform the tibias into more classic sounding flutes.
    John
    ----------
    Church: Allen MDS-45 with Allen MIDI-DIVISION-II expander
    Home: Allen Renaissance R-230 with expanded four-channel audio and MIDI-DIVISION-II
    Shop: Bunch of organs in varying conditions, some good, some not...
    Half of an incredible two-man organ service team -- servicing all the major digitals in Arkansas churches
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Congrats Michael! Does this mean another sub-woofer project is just around the coroner?
    Allen 5300-DK, Hammond A-105, Conn Custom 905-DK

Quote Originally Posted by jbird604 View Post
    You old scoundrel!
    Pot . . . kettle!

Quote Originally Posted by jbird604 View Post
    Seriously, I am so proud for you, my friend! After all these years of longing for that 32' pedal reed. I do hope it will be everything you want it to be. If anyone deserves that organ, it's you.
    Thank you, John. It has been over 11 years now. Granted, I had to pay a bit more than I usually do for this one, but the stars aligned. That also means (according to my wife) I need to sell another organ to make room for it--even with the new garage. I'd actually prefer sending the Symphony's organ away, but it's theirs, and we're housing it for them. The 505B is at one church, and the ADC-4300 is at another church, so I'm not sure if she'll tolerate the addition. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamman View Post
    Congrats Michael! Does this mean another sub-woofer project is just around the coroner?
    Hamman,

I don't know if the coroner is around the corner or not--time will tell. However, I do now have 3 B-40 speakers and a B-20. The B-20 is on the ADC-4300DKC and sounds GREAT! The old B-40 is used with the ADC-5400 with mixed results, and the other two B-40 speakers will be dedicated to the ADC-8000DKC. I can't wait to hear it live, rather than through crappy phone video. I'll make recordings as I have time--yeah, right!

Thanks, all for the well-wishes.

Michael

1 members found this post helpful.
    I played an ADC 8000 DK for a number of years in a huge Catholic parish here. The sound was absolutely stunning. We had two complete sets of speakers, one set up high in the chancel, and the other set above and to the rear of the choir. We had excellent acoustics as an acoustical engineer was involved from the very start in the buildings construction plans and eventual building and finishing of the interior.

At one point in time I had Walt Strony come and revoice the entire organ ... what a huge difference that made, too.

Congrats Michael, You deserve an organ like that one ! I don't know about that whole " get rid of one to get another one " deal. You certainly cannot get rid of one till you have the 8000 for some time, to check it out and so on. So, if that checking out process takes some time...perhaps the deal gets forgotten ?

And of course, photos when you get it, please.
    Regards, Larry

At Home : Yamaha Electones : EX-42 ( X 2 ), E-5AR ( X 2, one in parts, one not ), D80 ( in parts ), FX-1, FX-20, HS-7T ( in parts ), EL-25 ( X2, one chopped, one not ). Allen organs : T12-A, T-12B ( both available cheap ), ADC-6000D. Baldwin 626. Hammond Concorde. A bunch of other Synthesizers and Keyboards. At Churches I play for : Allen Q325 ( with VISTA ), Hammond A105, Baldwin 720T, Several various small and medium size pipe organs of many sorts and builders.

Quote Originally Posted by Piperdane View Post
    At one point in time I had Walt Strony come and revoice the entire organ ... what a huge difference that made, too.
    I'm no Walt Strony, but I'll do my best!

Quote Originally Posted by Larrytow View Post
    So, if that checking out process takes some time...perhaps the deal gets forgotten ?
    Larry, thanks for the idea. I'll be sure to blame you for the "inventive thinking!"

Quote Originally Posted by Larrytow View Post
    And of course, photos when you get it, please.
    Absolutely! The first thing I learned to do (from John & others) when I get a new organ is to take plenty of photos. It establishes condition, original state, and makes it so much easier to figure out what's in the organ, how to wire it, and other essential information I can view on a computer vs. crouched behind a console. My crouching days are over.

In fact, I bought a neat little tool cabinet/seat on wheels (from *arbor *reight) I plan to use with the organs. It has a couple of drawers under the padded seat, fold-down shelves on either side to hold screws & things, as well as a few screwdriver holders on the non-drawer side. I'll include that in the photos.

Michael