Thread: Lowrey Teenie Genie Common Issues?

ppp Pianississmo Orangeflipflop's Avatar

Lowrey Teenie Genie Common Issues?

Hi, I'm new here, and I have this Lowrey Teenie Genie that died on me a few years ago.

What I would like to know is, what are some common issues with these?

Could it be just a single piece gone bad, or could it be something with the entire organ.

I know its just a fun-machine organ, but it would still be nice to get it working again.

Any references would be a huge help, thanks!
    (Sorry if this is in the wrong section)

Died is too vague, what happened?

It could be anything, power supply, generator chip.... Some parts are now unobtainable, of course.

To be honest, I'd open it up and see if there's anything obvious and simple, like a blown fuse inside. If not, you're working in the dark and I'd say goodbye to it. If you want a Teenie Genie, you can still find them on Ebay for free or for pennies, so it's not worth spending much on it. If you just want a 'fun machine type organ' to play, there are probably better ones out there, also free or thereabouts.

Open it up, report back and we'll help if we can, or advise you on Plan B!
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition
    Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.

Quote Originally Posted by andyg View Post
    We'll help if we can, or advise you on Plan B!
    I am standing by to advise Plan B.

Quote Originally Posted by seamaster View Post
    I am standing by to advise Plan B.
    Seamaster if you ever get lost at sea - your plan B will be a beacon for rescue ....

To the OP: Andy has given you the rundown on those. They were nice and still are when they work but not worth bothering to try and fix. Even if you do get it to sound again, something else may go and as Andy said, parts are difficult or impossible to obtain. Having said that, if it does turn out to be a power supply issue, I may have a complete power supply from a TLO - probably won't fit and too expensive to get to you, depending on where you are located, but there....

Maye be better to look for something in working condition if you really want to get into a spinet again...

Nico
    "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

ppp Pianississmo Orangeflipflop's Avatar

As for the "died" part, it made a popping noise and then never turned on again, no power to the unit at all.

I'll take a look at the back and see if there's anything obvious. All else fails, ill trash it and find something better, lol. At least it only costed me 35$ when it did work, I now know that that's too much for one of these, but at least I didn't pay an arm and a leg for it.

Thanks for the quick reply by the way, really nice first impressions!

No worries, let us know what you find if you start looking for another organ and we'll give you all the info you need
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition
    Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.