Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Next England Vacation about to happen!

Hi John:

I join with many others in saying "thank you" for this wonderful account of your visits to some of England's great religious spaces. I'll be very interested to hear your review of the visit to Wells....both organ and choir are highly regarded.

Best,

Herb

Unfortunately my time in Wells was brief. We had a rental car for the day, but had to get back to Exeter for the night, and I was sketchy about driving on the left already. So we saw the organ case, which is beautiful, but didn't get to hear it or stay for worship. Here's a pic of the organ case from the nave side, and another from the quire side.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John
    ----------
    Church: Allen MDS-45 with Allen MIDI-DIVISION-II expander
    Home: Allen Renaissance R-230 with expanded four-channel audio and MIDI-DIVISION-II
    Shop: Bunch of organs in varying conditions, some good, some not...
    Half of an incredible two-man organ service team -- servicing all the major digitals in Arkansas churches
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Quote Originally Posted by jbird604 View Post
    I noticed these massive organ pipes standing in the south transept, up against a wall, right out in the open!
    How convenient--recycle bins right in the transcept!

Seriously, it surprises me the pipes are that exposed. Even the Wanamaker pipes are elevated beyond the average person's reach. I'm sure English children are more respectful of church property than those in America. It's too bad you couldn't have heard the organ.

Michael

P.S. Nice photography.
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Understandable...especially the driving bit! But...thanks for the beautiful pics.

Here's the choir and organ from several years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrs5XR9Pd7k

We are now in York and went to the Minster first thing this morning. I was most eager to see the Great East Window, restored at last. Since around 2003 it has been undergoing a painstaking renewal, with every single one of the 190+ panes removed, many of them fully disassembled into their tiny bits and pieces. Every bit of the window has been cleaned and freshened. Paints and stains restored to their original glory, UV protection added. A few bits were found to have been seriously damaged by previous attempts at repairs, and new glass was made for those, using the original sketches and materials. For the past few weeks it has once again been on view, visible now in a more beautiful state than perhaps any time in the past 500 years. It is truly an astounding sight to behold!

We heard the organ being tuned, but nothing else from it. We will attend Evensong tomorrow night and get to hear it played with both choir and with congregational singing, as well as for what is normally a grand Voluntary at the end of the service.

Here are a couple of organ pics you might enjoy. The organ case mounted on the quire screen is one of the prettiest and most elaborately carved anywhere. The pipes are beautifully stenciled in glorious colors. The other pic is of a rank (or part of a rank) that I spotted up high when we looking at something else in the south transept. I had noticed when we walked down the south aisle beside the quire that there was a rank of large pedal pipes at floor level, and some others up 10 or 15 feet off the floor. But when we walked around behind them into the transept, I looked up and saw these peculiar WOODEN pipes with an inverted conical shape. The longest one is about 8 feet long, so I assume this is some sort of Wood Trumpet? Don't know what else would be shaped like that and made of wood.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John
    ----------
    Church: Allen MDS-45 with Allen MIDI-DIVISION-II expander
    Home: Allen Renaissance R-230 with expanded four-channel audio and MIDI-DIVISION-II
    Shop: Bunch of organs in varying conditions, some good, some not...
    Half of an incredible two-man organ service team -- servicing all the major digitals in Arkansas churches
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Jbird, I'm glad you are enjoying your vacation so far. Those churches and organs are so awe inspiring in the photos - it has to be a real moving experience to see them in person.

Big wooden resonators like those are pretty common on pedal reeds. As with flue pipes, the wood changes the tone compared to metal ones. Not bad though, just different. I am under the impression that they sound smoother, with a bit less harmonic development compared to metal ones.

Thanks for the running travelogue !
    Regards, Larry

At Home : Yamaha Electones : EX-42 ( X 2 ), E-5AR ( X 2, one in parts, one not ), D80 ( in parts ), FX-1, FX-20, HS-7T ( in parts ), EL-25 ( X2, one chopped, one not ). Allen organs : T12-A, T-12B, ADC-6000D. Baldwin 626. Hammond Concorde. Lowrey CH32-1. A bunch of other Synthesizers and Keyboards. At Churches I play for : Allen Q325 ( with VISTA ), Hammond A105, Baldwin 720T, Several various small and medium size pipe organs of many sorts and builders.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123