Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lowrey Citation Theatre Organ GAKH-KHZ

Lowrey Citation Theatre Organ GAKH-KHZ

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3>Our church recently received a <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Lowrey Citation Theatre Organ[/B]. We can either use it (probably not) or sell it to help fund our missions work. The model of this organ is <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">GAKH-KHZ[/B]. It is walnut and in excellent condition—in fact, we were told, it was recently serviced. My Google search yielded a similar organ for sale in the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1lace w:st="on">San Diego</st1lace></st1:City> area, but it was a GAKH-1. Not sure what the difference is and would like to know more about the KHZ model. Also I would like to know if there is a market for it. Would $700 be a resonable listing for it?</FONT></P>

Re: Lowrey Citation Theatre Organ GAKH-KHZ

John, you've received a very kind hearted gift, but unfortunately the organ market is very weak right now and most likely a sale of the instrument would only bring $200 - 300 in the very best of condition.</P>

If your congregation can make good use of the organ to benefit the worship services you'd do well to keep it and I'm sure the giver would find great joy in seeing the instrument used to the glory of the Lord.</P>

I played one of these at one time for a church. This organ had so much potential it was amazing and just a glorious sound. We used it in all modes of worship, and it fit right in for everything. I do hope it is used in your worship for the glory of God. If not, try to locate a young organ student who needs a good practice organ, and give them a chance to practice on it at the church or if the church doesn't want it, well give it to them so it can be used. Organs bring very little money in this day and time.</P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>

At least your church would be one to encourage some young person instead of them being rejected because of their interest in the organ. I was so thankful a church gave me a wonderful chance when the one I grew up in gave me the shaft, and almost literally showed me the door. God opened a window shortly thereafter.</P>

James</P>
    Baldwin Church Organ Model 48C
    Baldwin Spinet 58R
    Lowrey Spinet SCL
    Wurlitzer 4100A
    Crown Pump Organ by Geo. P. Bent, Chicago, Illinois

Organs I hope to obtain in the future:

Conn Tube Minuet or Caprice even a transistor Caprice with the color coded tabs
    Gulbransen H3 or G3, or V.
    Wurlitzer 44, 4410, 4420, ES Reed Models, 4300, 4500, Transistor Models

There were only four models in the GAK-H series from 1971-1972 approx.</P>

The GAK-H - spinet with 13 pedals , and the GAK25-H - console with 25 pedals. The H1 variants came along the following year and added the Golden Harp feature. What the KHZ part means, I don't know, as I've never heard of it before now.</P>

If you have the spinet version, its value is realistically zero or very little. The console versions may command a couple of hundred dollars, but you'll be lucky. Those prices assume that the organ is fully working, which isn't always the case after nearly 40 years. Don't go by the prices you may see on eBay or whatever. They are usually way too high, as people don't realise how little organs fetch these days. Organs much newer than these have been given away. It would be nice to think that you could raise a good sum for a very worthy cause by selling it, but alas, the market is not there to support this.</P>

I do hope you may be able to use it or at least find a good home for it, as James has suggested.</P>

Andy G</P>
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Kawai SR6 + Leslie 760 Walnut
    Retired Organs: Lots! Including Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2012 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145, 760, 710, 415 x 2.

Hi Andy...speaking of too high prices on e-bay....</P>

What I'm tempted to do is to leave the "seller" a message on the "Ask The Seller A Question" prompt...and say something like....</P>

"Dear Seller, I you will lower your $800.00 price for this Conn 580, to $200.00, then I'll bid on it". Is that kosher on e-bay?</P>

[quote user="John Smith"]
    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3>The model of this organ is <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">GAKH-KHZ[/B].- similar organ for sale in the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1lace w:st="on">San Diego</st1lace></st1:City> area, but it was a GAKH-1. Not sure what the difference is and would like to know more about the KHZ model. </FONT>[/quote]</P>
    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" mce_keep="true"></P>
    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">G'day John,</P>
    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Firstly I'll assume you're taking about the GAKH Citation Theatre spinet.</P>
    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">The letters KHZ are absolutely not part of the model number, but refer to a measurement of AC current frequency.</P>
    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">The GAKH &amp; GAKH-1 are cosmetically and functionally identical, the "-1" referring to the changeover in the organ's tone generator from a combination of transistors and IC's to LSI's (Large Scale Integrated Circuits) which occurred in 1972.</P>
    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">It was common practice for Lowrey to suffix their model nos. with "-1' or "A" when referring to an update not usually noticeable to the player.</P>
    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">* Sorry Andy, but the Golden Harp was on the earlier versions, including the non-theatre Citations. ps. I know that lawn bowls &amp; mediaeval jousting aren't Olympic sports, but did the British team miss the plane to Beijing?[ap] Haven't seen anything of them yet down under.</P>
    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Kampai,</P>
    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Ian</P>

Hammond X77GT & Leslie 77P
    Lowrey C500 & Leslie 720/540
    Hammond T524 & Leslie 710
    Gulbransen Theatrum & Leslie 700
    Yamaha EL90T

Ian, sorry, I didn't explain that bit well enough. Yes the H had Golden Harp, but only one simple pattern on the kick switch. The H1 added a set of white buttons at the right hand end of the stop rail that offered some choices of Golden Harp pattern. I didn't think the LSI changeover came that early for Lowrey, Ian, but I've never had to open one up to see.</P>

I hope the AC mains frequency isn't measured in KHz in your part of the world. Heaven knows what that would do to a tonewheel organ or a leslie! [:O]</P>

As for our Olympians, we're just saving the best till last (I hope!)</P>

Andy</P>
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

Retired Organs: Lots! Including Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2012 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.

[quote user="andyg"]

. I didn't think the LSI changeover came that early for Lowrey, I hope the AC mains frequency isn't measured in KHz in your part of the world. [:O]</P>

[/quote]</P>

G'day Andy,</P>

This is how I remember the Lowrey LSI bit.</P>

I started with Lowrey in '71 and in '72 all the "-1" LSI models hit us from ICG-1 thru LC88SG-1, LC98KSG-1 etc. right up to GAK25H-1. Add to that the release that year of TLOKS &amp; H25-3, both of which were LSI. Then in '73 the TG stuff started, all LSI, then they started using the "-1" bit again to mark the changeover to magic genie commencing in '75.</P>

As for KHz down under, our Leslies are all only single speed, ie. a very, very fast chorale and my X77GT does a great Tiny Tim falsetto version of "Tip Toe Thru the Tulips".[Y]</P>

Don't worry about Olympic medals, mate, I think I saw Princess Anne on the telly with her nosebag and Harold Steptoe's horse. You can be confident of a couple of gold.</P>

Kampai,</P>

Ian</P>

Yamaha EL90T

[quote user="andyg"]

. I didn't think the LSI changeover came that early for Lowrey, I hope the AC mains frequency isn't measured in KHz in your part of the world. [:O]</P>

[/quote]</P>

G'day Andy,</P>

This is how I remember the Lowrey LSI bit.</P>

I started with Lowrey in '71 and in '72 all the "-1" LSI models hit us from ICG-1 thru LC88SG-1, LC98KSG-1 etc. right up to GAK25H-1. Add to that the release that year of TLOKS &amp; H25-3, both of which were LSI. Then in '73 the TG stuff started, all LSI, then they started using the "-1" bit again to mark the changeover to magic genie commencing in '75.</P>

As for KHz down under, our Leslies are all only single speed, ie. a very, very fast chorale and my X77GT does a great Tiny Tim falsetto version of "Tip Toe Thru the Tulips".[Y]</P>

Don't worry about Olympic medals, mate, I think I saw Princess Anne on the telly with her nosebag and Harold Steptoe's horse. You can be confident of a couple of gold.</P>

Kampai,</P>

Ian</P>

Yamaha EL90T

Thanks for the info, Ian. I had the LSI change marked down from the next generation, the Symphonic Holiday, CO80 and so on. I'll make a mental note that it was 72 as you say.</P>

I don't think we need Annie this time.We're amazingly 3rd in the medals table, with a good possibility of a couple more Golds in cyclling and sailing. Over here the press are calling it 'the great haul of China, but don't worry, it won't last and I'm sure you'll catch up. But you're obviously missing that human torpedo you used to have. Now the Yanks have one and if you took off his 8 gongs they'd have 11 like us. (Mind you, if you did that you'd have to put him 8th on the table on his own!)</P>

Andy</P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>