Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hammond H-182? T212? Decent organs?

Hammond H-182? T212? Decent organs?

Hi all. As I'm sure you know, Craigslists all over the place are flooded with Hammond organs. I've recently seen two locally: an H-182 for $100 and a T212 for $500 (obo). I have absolutely no clue as to whether either of these are worthwhile instruments. Do these prices seem reasonable? How are the organs? Desirable? Meh?</p>

</p>

(PS: I hope the mods forgive me for accidentally trying to post this in the wrong forum initially.)</p>

</p>

Thank you!
    </p>

Re: Hammond H-182? T212? Decent organs?

The H-182 is the best deal because it's cheaper and it's a console with 25 pedals. The T-212 is a spinet although I believe it has a built-in Leslie.</p>

When the H-series organs are working properly, they sound very good. Tons of bass, lots of animation with the vibrato's. They are however delicate and seem to have more problems than other models. If you become versed in servicing it, it can be a very good learning tool and you can keep it going for a long time. The H-series was a hybrid, tubes and transistors. Although the transistors don't give much trouble and the tube circuits are very mature. The biggest problems are resistors going out of tolerance and capacitors going bad. This all due to age.</p>

Once restored, the H-series can kick butt! </p>

</p>

George
    </p>

Thanks, George. I must admit I'm kinda drooling over that built in Leslie, but what do I know? Any other opinions?

T's are great little spinets, but $500 for a T200 is way too high, try something like $200. I paid around 150 ($275) for a mint T400. You can cheaply and easily improve the sound they make (if you feel it needs it) from minor mods right the way to making them sound much more like a B3.</P>

Read up on H's here, and you'll discover they are great sounding instruments, but not Hammond's most reliable product. Buy two - keep one for spares! I love them - when they work.</P>

Andy</P>
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Kawai SR6 + Leslie 760 Walnut
    Retired Organs: Lots! Including Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2012 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145, 760, 710, 415 x 2.

I paid $100 for my T212. The virbrato doesn't work but the internal leslie does.</P>

The major problem is the short manuals, you can't get a decent bass out of the manuals and you can't play much classical or baroque organ music.</P>

Otherwise its great fun.</P>

If either of these organs are in your area, I would suggest looking, (and playing) them first. if the H works, and you have the room..go for it!I own a couple of T 212's myself, and they are nice little organs. Very nice vibrato, and the internal Leslie isn't bad at all. (Better than a "straight" sound). And, like Andy said, you can do mods if you are interested in trying to get the organ more like a M.</P>

If the T is in very good condition, offer $150 max. I live in the Midwest of the US and and I've seen people try to sell them for as high as $500, but I've also seen them for free. Don't overpay. If you don't get this one or are not satisfied with the condition...don't worry....be patient....another one will come along! (That goes for all Hammond models).</P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>

The H-100 series were designed as church organs, but without a Leslie they sound abysmal. [] I bought mine new because I needed a practice organwith a semi-completepedal division with a bit of definition. After serving it's purpose, I ended up giving itaway to a church I didn't like. [:$] It was replaced (1983) with a custom Classic Organ Company offerring.</P>

If I recall correctly, the T series are amongst thenicest sounding Hammonds I'veever played; the kind of sound that has you playing stuff that you never realized you had in you. For sure, $500 is a bit steep, but at least play it; and if you like it, see what you can work out. [:$]</P>
    2008: Phoenix III/44

[quote user="Clarion"]

The H-100 series were designed as church organs,</P>[/quote]

Afraid not, my friend. The H series was primarily intended to be more of a 'Theatre organ', with all its vibrato options, etc, intended to remove the customer's need or desire to add a Leslie! And what about all those percussions, cymbal and brush traps, not to mention the rhythm box on the H300 series!

If you use the vibrato right, and let the Celeste Vibratos shimmer away (and assuming it's actually working, of course) it can sound*almost leslie-ish, but, yes it sounds far better with a couple of 122's tacked on the end.

Andy
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Kawai SR6 + Leslie 760 Walnut
    Retired Organs: Lots! Including Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2012 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145, 760, 710, 415 x 2.

[quote user="andyg"][quote user="Clarion"]

The H-100 series were designed as church organs,</P>

[/quote]

Afraid not, my friend. The H series was primarily intended to be more of a 'Theatre organ', with all its vibrato options, etc, intended to remove the customer's need or desire to add a Leslie! [/quote]</P>

That's the way they were promoted here in Toronto . . . as church organs! Of course they were abysmal at either; and probably the worst sounding organ Hammond ever produced. [:$]</P>

The Hammond dealer was locateda 2 minute walk away from the Conn dealer; and the Conn theatre organs blew H-100s completely out of the water: Sort of a Cadillac - vs- Skoda kind of comparison.</P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>
    2008: Phoenix III/44

The H-200 series is the model you're thinking of, Clarion. Locking top, liturgical percussion voicing. H-100 and H-300 series are as Andy says, Hammond's tonewheel version of theatre organ. Because of their "transitional" engineering, they were/are misunderstood and much maligned. They do have issues, but the youngest H-series is now about 34 years old. Their complex vibrato system is amazing. I play an H-382 and am restoring an H-182. Some years ago, I owned a console Conn toaster and really enjoyed it, but tonally it's an apples vs. oranges comparison, or Cadillac vs. Lincoln. </P>

T-series Hammonds seem to give less trouble than the H-series. I fixed up a T-212 for my brother a couple of years ago and I've got a T-422 lurking in storage to work on. Pedals seem to give the most trouble on those. I've replaced a couple of sustain capacitors on the T-212 and will have to replace all the pedal bushings on both it and the T-422. The internal Leslie is OK, but doesn't compare to ANY external Leslie. The T-212 was free and the T-422 I recently bought for $20. Both working.</P>

The H is by far the more versatile and powerful instrument in comparison to the T and in this case clearly a better bargain, in my opinion. My H-382 was free, I bought an H-395 for $10 at one time, and the H-182 I'm working on came with a 222 Leslie for $400. The H-series organs are going to appreciate in value in years to come, more that the T series organs simply because the H is a full size console. I'd say it's going to be like the current comparisons of M-3/M-100 spinets vs. B/C/A-100 consoles.</P>