X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stiff fingers

Hello all,</P>

I've been away awhile. I hope no one here thought I'd fallen off my organ bench. </P>

The other day I noticed a lump on the middle knuckle of my index finger on my right hand. Sometimes I also experience a bit of pain in that same finger. I'm fifty one and I do have non-rhumatoid arthrits. My wife says it's a bone spur and that my fingers will only deform more. Is anyone else here having these kinds of troubles? How are you coping? How has it affected your playing?Thankfully the organ is a "low impact" instrument. </P>

Re: Stiff fingers

I have had a painless lump midway between the two joints of my index finger for about six months now. It started out large and is gradually getting smaller. I believe it to be an inflamed tendon or ligament. I blame it on the fact that I type seven hours per day and also use the mouse a great deal. This is my mouse finger (right hand). I think that the lumpwill be completely gone by the end of the year. It would probably resolve much faster if I could give the finger a rest. I am trying to type and "mouse" with a lighter touch. SIGH!</P>

Good luck to both of us!</P>

Comment

I wish I could practice seven hours a day. Practice time is a very valuable thing for me. If I don't get up early I don't get to practice. I don't type as much as you but I still do a lot of it.I've noticed this lump changes size from time to time so maybe it's not a bone spur. I also noticed that I was pressing the organ keys too hard.

Comment

I am not a heavy computer keyboard user, but some years ago I felt that mouse use was causing me some mild RSI, nonetheless. I came to the conclusion that using the righthand (arm?) to move the mouse, and then ALSO to perform the click, was an unnatural action. On Windows machines at least, it is possible to assign the clicking to two keys on the right hand set of number keys (whatever you call that cluster). So I now move the mouse with my left hand, and do the clicking with my right. (Doing a right-click by this method I find a bit cumbersome, so I leave that to my left hand). A single click is done on the "5" key, and a double-click on the "+" key.</P>

I do think this results in less strain. There is also an advantage in using a key for the double-click. The computer always gets it right!</P>

John Reimer</P>

Comment

Another option to help those heavy computer users is to perhaps invest in a graphics tablet and use that to navigate around your computer. The only thing is they take up quite a lot of room, but they have lots of good uses!
          1971 Allen Organ TC-3S (#42904) w/sequential capture system.
          Speakers: x1 Model 100 Gyro, x1 Model 105 & x3 Model 108.

Comment

I had a ganglion cyst pop up at my wrist some years ago. It hurt to type and play the organ but it wasn't a severe pain. I went to the doctor and he said to just let it be for awhile and it might just go away on it's own. Eventually, it did although it did bother me for several years off and own.</P>

These cysts pop up at various joints and I'll suggest you "google" ganglion cysts and check to see if your condition matches any of the cysts described. The worst of the treatments is surgery but there's a real good chance thatit will disappear on it's own in time. I took aspirin and ibuprofen (and sometimes Canadian Windsor) when the pain fared up. The pain came from movement in the wrist.</P>

The cyst didn'taffect my playing much. If the cyst hurt on my days to practice I just cut down on the time spent at the console. I never missed a Sunday because of it.</P>

Al</P>
            Allen T 12B

Comment

I have to confess that I don't like computers even though I'm on one all day. I"d rather play my organ or my accordion all day. I was installing a screen door the other day and while turning a screw my right handclosed up like it wasspring loaded. I probably pulled some tendons or something. It has since then relaxed itself. So far my playing is still ok. </P>

Computer books to me are about as entertaining as the tax code or insurance policies. Where does one find instructions for setting up a computer like John mentioned a few posts back? I tried using the keypad but it dosen't work as he described. </P>

Comment

Mark, I have Windows XP, but the instructions should relate to other Windows operating systems.</P>

Click on Start, Control Panel, Accessibility Options, Mouse.</P>

Click on "Use Mouse Keys", "Use Shortcut", "On", "Show Mousekey status on screen", "OK", "OK".</P>

Close Control Panel.</P>

You can turn the function on and off with the Num Lock key.</P>

John Reimer</P>

Comment

Thank you John,</P>

That was easier than I had anticipated. It will interesting to see if those settings will work with my roaming profile on my work computer.</P>
                  <P mce_keep="true"></P>

Comment

Working...
                  X