This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favourite Contemporary Hymns

I know some on here have a distaste for contempory Christian hymns or music, but its not all bad. Even the most ardent disapprovers must have at least one modern hymn that they like.
    </p>

What are your favourite contemporary hymns, and why?</p>

I'll start off the list:</p>

- Shine, Jesus shine. The tune is so catchy, in fact its been stuck in my mind for the last couple of days after hearing it on TV.[:|] I just love the chorus which I find really uplifting and the lyrics are pretty good (which I find usually lets down modern hymns - at least there aren't any "Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs"). </p>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr5Y63bDNNg
    </p>

- In Christ alone. A very simple tune, not very adventurous musically but I find it really touching. Its on Youtube if you want to hear (or rather watch)...
    </p>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8welVgKX8Qo </p>

There are one or two others but I'll mention them later once other people have posted.
    </p>
    1971 Allen Organ TC-3S (#42904) w/sequential capture system.
    Speakers: x1 Model 100 Gyro, x1 Model 105 & x3 Model 108.

Re: Favourite Contemporary Hymns

I am not very familiar with contemporary Christian music, but I think 'In Christ alone' is a better tune and very well performed. Its form seems to be hymn like. Somewhat akin to 'Jerusalem'. I have to scratch my head wondering why you think Shine, Jesus shine is better. The "Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs" are replaced with Shine. (about 17 times) and once the word 'awesome' shows up, all bets are off.

Comment

It's quite difficult for me to find Praise and Worship music that has enough depth in the texts coupled to a tune that doesn't remind me of a preschool. Texts are almost paramount in importance to me, and tunes are often so repetitve as to be worthless to sing more than one week. However, here's one I do like.http://www.truevinemusic.com/lead_us_out.htm For our closing songI taught it to our congregation by letting them sing the refrain while the ensemble sang the verses the first week. Second week the ensemble sang verse 1 while all sang the rest. Last week we all sang the whole thing to close. This week we all sing verse 1 and chorus to open the service, and vs. 2 and 3 to close. I will use some of the P&amp;W heard on the 'Christian' radio stations and CD's to start a service,but will reinforce them with the stronger tunes and texts in the body of the service.</P>

There are many 'contemporary' songs in our hymnal that I do like, but they're not Praise and Worship. The texts have substance and tunes are good:</P>

Tunes: Berglund, Bicentennial, Dove of Peace, Here is Bread, Blest Are They, I Am the Bread, Camrose, Earth and All Stars, Gifts of Finest Wheat, Now, Raabe, Houston, We Walk by Faith, We Are Called, </P>

In short, I'm going to start clarifying the differences in 'contemporary' and Praise and Worship. (P&amp;W is contemporary, but contemporary isn't P&amp;W). I'd love to find other blogs or discussion groups that deal with this. Know any?</P>
      <P mce_keep="true"></P>

Comment

Nullogik,</p>

I'll share two of my favorite contemporary hymns.</p>

- "Worthy of Worship" To me this is just a great hymn expressing praise to God. Here is a youtube video (although not the best).</p>

- "Be Strong in the Lord" This has very uplifting lyrics. Here is a youtube video.</p>

To here more professional renditions of these tunes, please go to the LifeWay webiste for the 2008 edition of The Baptist Hymnal. About 1/3 of the way down this page (after Pew Editions), you will see a box entitled "LifeWay Worship Project." You can then click on the appropriate song title to here the above mentioned hymns. (You can actually listen to every song in the hymnal by selecting the appropriate title.)
        </p>

Later,</p>

Allen
        </p>
        Currently own: Roland Atelier AT-90, Yamaha 115D, Roland DP-90SE, Yamaha PSR-S910

YouTube Channel

Comment

BEWARE, BEWARE!!! We are the only ones who can lead traditional worship well...and if <u>we</u> sacrifice the church's musical heritage on the contemporary P&amp;W altar, no one is going to bring anything worthwhile back. We don't see many electric guitarists becoming organists, so why do we have to stoop to their level of mediocrity? </p>

In my childhood we went to several CCM churches and while it was fun to get all riled up during the service, during the week, you couldn't sing the praise songs when you were troubled as you do with the hymns, because they are so poorly written that to sing them without drums and bands sounds awful.
          </p>

Comment

[quote user="Philip the organist"] We don't see many electric guitarists becoming organists . . . [/quote]</P>

I don't believe there is much of a riskthat one of themmight become a guitarist either!! [:S]</P>
            2008: Phoenix III/44

Comment

Perhaps the most thrilling hymn-tune written in modern times is Vineyard Haven by the late Richard Dirksen. Dirksen, at various times, was organist/choirmaster/composer in residence etc at Washington Cathedral. He was also the first layman ever appointed to the post of Canon Precentor.</P>

The hymn in question has the words of the traditional hymn 'Rejoice ye Pure in Heart' set to a stirring tune.</P>

By 1982 or thereabouts it had already found its way into the Episcopal Hymnbook and the Methodist Hymnbook - there may be others.</P>
              <P mce_keep="true"></P>
              <P mce_keep="true"></P>

Comment

Thank you for the recommendations!"In Christ Alone" is especiallybeautiful, bothwords and tune. I look forward to ordering themusic for it, and playing it in church.</P>

Would like to hear "Vineyard Haven", but found very few online references to it. Do you know of a site where it can be heard, or a place where the music can be purchased? </P>

Couldn't find any references to the list of tunes beginning with Berglund, Bicentennial, Dove of Peace...... Are these found in a specific hymnal?</P>

Regards,</P>

Bill</P>

</P>
                <P mce_keep="true"></P>

Comment

[quote user="LFPC"]

Would like to hear "Vineyard Haven", but found very few online references to it. Do you know of a site where it can be heard, or a place where the music can be purchased? </P>

Couldn't find any references to the list of tunes beginning with Berglund, Bicentennial, Dove of Peace...... Are these found in a specific hymnal?</P>
                  <P mce_keep="true"></P>

[/quote]</P>

All are located in the Evangelical Lutheran Worship Book. If looking to buy such, purcase either the simplified or standard accompaniment editions. Some hymns in the pew edition are melody only. Have fun exploring!</P>
                  <P mce_keep="true"></P>

Comment

"Here I am to Worship"</P>

I forget who the composer is, but inthe contemporary group I am in we sing it beautifully with three part harmonies, and the song really gets to me.</P>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoxopsRSfdU</P>

Comment

[quote user="Philip the organist"]BEWARE, BEWARE!!! We are the only ones who can lead traditional worship well...and if <U>we</U> sacrifice the church's musical heritage on the contemporary P&amp;W altar, no one is going to bring anything worthwhile back.[/quote]</P>

I must've misread the subject of this thread. I thought it was <SPAN class=Apple-style-span style="FONT-STYLE: italic">Favourite Contemporary Hymns</SPAN>, not <SPAN class=Apple-style-span style="FONT-STYLE: italic">Let's Bash All Contemporary Music</SPAN>. </P>

[quote user="Philip the organist"]<SPAN class=Apple-style-span style="FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma">In my childhood. . . .</SPAN>[/quote]</P>

Some of us older folk would still consider you a child--though I'm not sure that's something you'd especially like to hear. Yes, we know by now that you do not like P&amp;W. I cannot speak for others, but I don't think many would consider P&amp;W in the same category as hymns. I'm not trying to <SPAN class=Apple-style-span style="FONT-STYLE: italic">despise thy youth</SPAN>, but please try to be respectful of thy elders (some are more elder than others!)[:$]</P>

Again, I'm not sure if others would agree with this analysis, but one of my professors explained it thus:</P>
                      <UL>
                      <LI>Psalms--Scripture put to music.</LI>
                      <LI>Hymns--Music of praise directed toward God (usually 4-part, homophonic, through-composed, without a chorus, and several verses).</LI>
                      <LI>Spiritual Songs--Music directed toward fellow Christians, telling of what God has done for us. P&amp;W could fit here as well as some of the Stamps-Baxter style music.</LI>[/list]

I've found the above explanation to be a great way to help the general public gain a quick understanding of music and its place in the church.</P>

Now, BACK ON TOPIC!!! Perhaps my favorite hymn would be one based on a tune similar to<SPAN class=Apple-style-span style="FONT-STYLE: italic">Finlandia</SPAN>, though it is not necessarily considered contemporary because poor Jean is now decomposing. To me, there's something so uplifting about such a majestic piece.</P>

Michael</P>
                      <P mce_keep="true"></P>
                      Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
                      • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
                      • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
                      • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 6 Pianos

Comment

Michael,
                        Point taken. []

Comment

When New Born Stars are Stirred to Song

Comment

Speaking of contemporary hymns, Twila Paris wrote at least two in the Singspiration (ASCAP) catalog: "We Will Glorify" should handle quite well on an 8'4'2' organ, and "Lamb of God" is ideal for a dynamic treatment across three Divisions. From the Integrity catalog, Lenny LeBlanc has one that Hosanna! Music (ASCAP) administers in LennSongs Publishing's behalf: "We All Bow Down," which should also handle a dynamic treatment across three Divisions. Melody Green wrote "There Is A Redeemer," distributed by Birdwing Music (ASCAP), which in the Keith Phillips arrangement will handle an 8'4' treatment.</p>

Word Music (ASCAP), based at Waco, TX, USA, actually did quite a bit of research on recent compositions; one set made it into The Hymnal for Worship and Celebration (1986), and a slightly different set into The Celebration Hymnal: Songs and Hymns for Worship (1997). One has to study the song to determine its suitability for organ, of course; few modern-day song composers write with the organ in mind.
                            </p>

Comment

afuller5 -</P>

Imade note of your recommendation for "Worthy of Worship", and finallycame across the music for it. I agree with your comments 100%.Great piece of music.Thanks for therecommendation.</P>

Regards,</P>

Bill</P>
                              <P mce_keep="true"></P>
                              <P mce_keep="true"></P>

Comment

Working...
                              X