This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello, how do you all do!

I am an afficionado of organ music. My favorites are those Bach pieces by E. Power Biggs on Columbia Masterworks/Sony. I also am overjoyed when I listen to Anthony Newman's Wagner: Organ Orgy w/ five select opera pieces. I do not admire Newman's Bach on organ or piano, though. His organ stop selection is incorrect and his tempo is much too fast. Newman's best (perfect tempo and tone color) Bach recordings I have heard were on Columbia Masterworks' The Well-Tempered Clavier, Book I (1973), on various european period-authentic harpsichords. Biggs was also an excellent pedal harpsichordist for Bach's Six Trio SonatasPLUS two Bach Concertos: 1. after Johann Ernst, in G Major and 2. after Antonio Vilvaldi, in G Minor:which were released on Columbia Masterworks (1967) in a two-volume set. I enjoy these two special concerti as musc as the trio sonatas. The two aformentioned Biggs/Bach concertiwere also released (1974) , Columbia Masterworks, organ, in "Bach Organ Favorites: Volume VI" In addition to the 2 concerti above, there are two of six trio sonatas, 1. Number 5, C Major and 2. Number 4, E-FlatMajor. Sadly, Sony does not include the 2 concerti in the CD version of Bach/Biggs Six Trio Sonatas, pedal harpsichord[built by John Challis]. </P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>

I only consider true ORGAN MUSIC to be produced by:</P>

1. the venerable PIPE organ</P>

2. a reed or pump organ or harmonium</P>

3. a colliape</P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>

True organs are aerophones. They produce sound by air columns, fluesor reed undulations. Those electric devices sold as 'organs' are purely artificial. It is amazing how a genuine pipe organ can even be made to produce a wavering tone through a tremolo stop. I don't really understand the acoustics physics of this. </P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>

Jonathan Bailey</P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>

Re: Hello, how do you all do!

[quote user="jonmyrlebailey"]

I am an afficionado of organ music. I only consider true ORGAN MUSIC to be produced by:</P>
    1. <LI>the venerable PIPE organ</LI>
      <LI>a reed or pump organ or harmonium</LI>
      <LI>a colliape</LI>

True organs are aerophones. They produce sound by air columns, fluesor reed undulations. Those electric devices sold as 'organs' are purely artificial. [/quote]</P>

Welcom to the Forum! While your views are shared by many on this forum, there are other whoaren't so sure. That "ship"/discussion has pretty much "sailed." I'd like to think there is an agreement to disagree agreeably and to peacefully co-exist here. That's not to say there aren't occasionally heated discussions on the topic, but they generally remain civil.</P>

From your discussion of recordings, it sounds like you will have much to share and teach us here. I look forward to it.</P>

Welcome again.</P>

Michael</P>

P.S. I have 8 pump organs in my house. My wife wants to lose some--interested?</P>
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 6 Pianos

Comment

Greetings Jonathan, and welcome to the Forum. []</P>

I have pretty much all of the LPs you mentioned in your post! []I especially treasure the "Organ Orgy" album and the Biggs recording of the Trio Sonatas on pedal harpsichord. That very album taught me to love Bach's music, although I must say I've grown to dislike the sort of harpsichords Biggs recorded on. Now I much preferharpsichords that are period instruments, or those that are built along historic lines...</P>

Comment

I do well, thank you! I hope the same is true for you.</P>

My favorite Biggs album is "The Organ in Sight and Sound".</P>

David</P>

Comment

Welcome Jon Bailey.</P>

I was just listening to that organ music on youtube this morning coincidentally.</P>

Comment

I'm fine, thanks.</P>

Now I would consider the instruments you list as separate instruments. The difference between an organ and an harmonium are pronounced. Not only in the tone they produce, but also in the way they are/can be played and the repertoire. And while the caliope might be fun for PDQ Bach I would play any other relation of the family on it.</P>

Comment

Working...
            X