X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help to identify Organ\Piano

Hi, </P>

Please excuse me for not even knowing the difference. My mother in-law has this item in her basement and needs help to identify it and find out what it is worth for insurance purposes. PLease help if you are able. I do not know how to add the image without a browse\upload option.Sorry HELP!!</P>

Re: Need help to identify Organ\Piano

Perhaps you can use image uploading sites such as photobucket then post the link here.

Comment

http://i564.photobucket.com/albums/s...0_0452copy.jpg</P>

Thanks quantum, here is the link to the photo. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch!!!</P>

Comment

Your photo shows a very early spinet piano and I'd recommend you consult an antique dealer or museum archivist because it isn't a standard piano from our generation. It doesn't appear to have a full 88 note keyboard which has been standard for more than a century. The cabinet style have strong European influences. I'm not an instrument appraiser by any means but I'd suspect that in the condition shown in the photo the piece could have significant worth when restored to playing condition. You might try to google antique spinet piano to see if you could reach any museum sites for making for comparison with your Mother-in-law's instrument. Thanks for sharing this with us.</P>

P.S. I did that search and found an excellent identification site and was surprised to see the similarity to an instrument called the Melodian. It was evidently a reed instrument similar to a harmonium. Visit the site at: http://www.antiquepianoshop.com/identify-instrument/</P>

Comment

Almost looks like a Clavichord, or a Virginal.</p>

What does it sound like?</p>

Comment

Thanks so much to everyone!! What is a Clavichord or Virginal? I don't know what it sounds like but I will ask her. Thanks again

Comment

I think it's too big to be a clavichord (<span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: -webkit-sans-serif; line-height: 19px; ">Theclavichordis a European stringedkeyboard instrumentknown from the lateMedieval, through theRenaissance,BaroqueandClassicaleras. Historically, it was widely used as a practice instrument and as an aid to composition. The clavichord produces sound by striking brass or iron strings with small metal blades called tangents.) or a Virginal (A small harpischord) but it's possible. It's more likely to be an early spinet piano, as mentioned above.</span></p>

</p>

Comment

That is a Melodian (small reed organ). My mom had one similar...you pump the organ via those bottom pedals that raise a small bellows that blows airs thru the reeds. check ebay for prices.

Comment

That looks like it could be worth some money, if the right person were to come along. Don't just give it away.
                  Mike

My home organ is a circa 1990 Galanti Praeludium III, with Wicks/Viscount CM-100 module supplying extra voices. I also have an Allen MDS Theatre II (princess pedalboard!) with an MDS II MIDI Expander.

Comment

SEE HERE:</P>

http://www.kshs.org/cool/coolmel.htm</P>

This is the actual item you have from the looks of it. Manufactured by</P>

Carhart &amp; Needham Organs and Melodeons, New York.</P>

Comment

Also see here:</P>

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/msg/1219600123.html</P>
                      Rick B.

Allen R-311D
                      Baldwin Cinema II (214DR)
                      Gulbransen Pacemaker
                      Yamaha Clavinova CVP-209
                      Nord C2 w/ PK27 pedals and Behringer K3000FX amp

Comment