This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harmonic Series

I was able todownload about 20 pages of a book called Modern Organ Stops by Noel A. Bonavia-Hunt (the rest of the bookis no longer available from the web site). I read a facinating section on <U>acoustical organ stops</U> that use the harmonic series in combination with certain stops to create other sounds. Thishas really peaked my interestin the harmonic series as it relates to organ pipes. I'm sure this doesn't classify as light reading, but it was really intriguing to me. I was able to duplicate and hear the effect as describedon the organ that I have been playing. Does anyone know of any web sites or any books that gives some detailed information about this as it relates to organs?</P>

Re: Harmonic Series

Try some of the following sites:</P>
    <UL>
    <LI>http://cnx.org/content/m11118/latest/</LI>
    <LI>http://www.btinternet.com/~keltek/sapage8.html</LI>
    <LI>books.google.com (search for "The Organof the Twentiety Century" and download the .pdf file).</LI>[/list]

In truth, the "harmonic series" and "overtone series" are related. Forgive me if I'm insulting your intelligence, but each pitchof an instrumentis made up of a certain mixture of the partials ofthe overtone series. Each partial will be represented atvarious amplitudes. This is what gives each stop itstone color. </P>

Flutes tend tohave accented fundamentals and octaves from the overtone series, while strings will have most of the partials represented in the sound. A clarinet, on the other hand, would have accented 5ths. That's why one can easily imitate a clarinet by using an 8', 2-2/3', and 2'flute stop on an organ. Some will also use the 4' stop.</P>

When Allen Organ made their tone cards in the MOS series, complex sounds like Harp, Chimes, Carillon, etc. could not be represented well using one card. Consequently, their catalogue includes various harmonics to help a person more accurately reproduce the desired sound. I've not quite figured that one out yet. I e-mailed the company to request help, but the response was basically it would depend on what I wanted for a sound. That was quite a complete non-answer!!!</P>

Hope I've helped somewhat.</P>

Michael</P>
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 6 Pianos

Comment

[quote user="myorgan"]</p><ul>[*]books.google.com (search for "The Organof the Twentiety Century" and download the .pdf file)[/quote][/list]Just downloaded that (thanks for the ref) - it made me chuckle to see that "The Organof the Twentiety Century" was published in 1919.

Comment

Thank you very much! This is very interesting to me.

Comment

I read chapter II from the book. It's amazing to me that people were able to hear and identify so many partial and the differential toneswithout the use of more modern electronic equipment.</P>

The author seems to have and ax to grind with organ builders of the day. It's kind of entertainting.</P>

Comment

You don't need modern equipment to do that. The old greeks did this already.

Comment

Working...
            X