This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Double Open Wood ?

hi. what does "double open wood" mean. does "double" mean there are 2 pipes per note to make the stop louder ?

i'm assuming that "open wood" means the pipe is wood and has no expression pedal control

also what does it mean when it says (from 2) after it ?

thanks

Re: Double Open Wood ?

Double Open Wood (presumably 32') from 2 means that it is a full-length 32-foot open stop (probably Diapason) and is an extension of the 16-foot Open Wood (presumably Diapason) which is considered stop #2 on this particular instrument. Thus, this rank would be a total of 44 pipes including the 12-note 32-foot octave. The word "double" means sub-octave. Hope this helps.

Comment

thanks Menschenstimme. i was reading it from this stop list</p>

http://www.harrison-organs.co.uk/kings.html
      </p>

Comment

Menschenstimme's explanation is exactly what is meant in that Stop List. Stop #1 (Double Open Wood 32') in the Pedal Organ is listed as being an extension of Stop #2 (Open Wood 16'), and the "from 2" simply means that at least some of the pipes used for Stop #1 come from those in Stop #2. Since Stop #1 plays an octave lower than Stop #2, it will have to have 12 large pipes (longest more than 32' long) to cover that low octave, and then the other 20 pipes for the 32 pedal keys will be the lowest ones in the Open Wood 16' rank. Most "Open Wood" stops are Diapasons (Principals). This technique is quite common in the Pedals and generally causes no problems because seldom are octaves keyed in the Pedals. (Pulling both stops and then playing 2 notes an octave apart in the Pedals will only cause 3 pipes to sound instead of 4 because the upper note in the 32' and the lower note in the 16' would be keying the same pipe--in this case the volume will be less than expected than if both stops had separate ranks of 32 pipes.)</P>

David</P>

Comment

A very expensive stop, now days.

Comment

I learned something too. I would have guessed it was related to a doppel flute or whatever. The encyclopedia of organ stops agrees with the above posts though:</p>

http://www.organstops.org/d/_IndexN.html
            ________
            = D e l l =
            (no relation to company of same name)

Allen ADC-4900D
            Rodgers 32B - all original
            Rodgers 32C - now MIDI only

My Blog http://organquest.blogspot.com/

Comment

It means you have to pay double for this stop because of all the wood it uses.

Comment

Working...
              X