This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer "cookies" question

I have two computers that are set up basically the same way. I visit several website repeatedly every day. Two of these sites normally leave a "highlight" on items that I have already viewed. Suddenly, on one of my computers, this no longer happens. On said computer I did a System Restore to a few days back when I know that this was working okay. No change. My other computer still highights items on these two sites for me. The two sites in question are totally unrelated. I have not changed any security settings, etc.</P>

ANY IDEAS, PLEASE?</P>

Re: Computer &quot;cookies&quot; question

[quote user="Menschenstimme"]

I have two computers that are set up basically the same way. I visit several website repeatedly every day. Two of these sites normally leave a "highlight" on items that I have already viewed. Suddenly, on one of my computers, this no longer happens. On said computer I did a System Restore to a few days back when I know that this was working okay. No change. My other computer still highights items on these two sites for me. The two sites in question are totally unrelated. I have not changed any security settings, etc.</p>

ANY IDEAS, PLEASE?</p>

[/quote]</p>

As a former computer science student, I will only comment that a lot of information is lacking in your question. For example, what is the problem? For the record, If you visit a site on one computer then visit it again on the other computer, there is no way for the second computer to know that you visited the site from the other computer (I assume that is not what you are asking about though, so no offense intended). If your problem is that NO sites show up as visited on one of your computers even though you visited them that very day on that very computer, then obviously something is set differently - either a browser default presentation is taking over on one of them (visited links highlighting is a session specific feature unless you keep track somehow (cookies?). Have you compared your cookies files on the two computers after visiting the same sites and then restarting the browser?</p>

Without knowing which browser, and what plugins (if any) are installed, it is well night impossible to guess further. Firefox(?) and Chrome for example has a privacy mode that automatically wipes out any record of past websites visited, but I have not used it so I cannot comment further.
    </p>

Comment

The computer that still works as always on these two sites was always and still is using IE8 and the other computer that has suddenly stopped leaving the hightlights was always and still is using IE7. My guess is that anyone using IE7 to accessthese same two sitesis also suddenly experiencing what I am experiencing.</P>

SIGH!</P>

Comment

You haven't messed with Javascript settings or anything else in the IE7 'puter by any chance? I use Firefox with the "NoScript" plugin (which turns JavaScript off by default and on only on a site by site basis, and then even temporarily unless you ask it to make permanent). I am unable to comment further on IE as I consider it a security risk and only use it to download MS updates.

Comment

Eureka!</P>

Would you believe that I fixed the problem by changing the setting of thenumber of days for my browser to keep my history?! What is even crazier is that I changed it from 1 to 0. What sense does this make? NONE! SIGH!!</P>

Comment

[quote user="Menschenstimme"] I changed it from 1 to 0. What sense does this make?[/quote]</p>

0 is commonly used in computer to designate infinity.Since your history records for today are all day #1; and tomorrow will be day #2; the program will never check for day #0. []
            </p>
            2008: Phoenix III/44

Comment

Working...
            X