This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relief!!!!!

I feel so relieved. I have a degree in organ/church music and worked for years as an organist. I also taught school, and eventually I had to give up the church job as it was just too much with all the teaching responsibilities, continuing education in order to keep my certificate intact and working on a master's degree. I haven't worked as an organist in 15 years. </P>

I decided to retire from teaching this year. I needed an organ job to take up the slack, or lack of earnings. I found a great job. I am so pleased with it. Today was my first Sunday to play. I was really kind of freaked out about this. It's been so long. I spent the past 3 weeks practicing the organ again (like riding a bike really....it really is). I felt ready today, but man was I nervous!! Everything went well though. I guess I'm officially back in the saddle again. It feels so good. I didn't realize how much I missed it. I LOVE the organ, church music.....all that good stuff. </P>

Briggsie</P>

Re: Relief!!!!!

[quote user="Briggsie"] I feel so relieved. I have a degree in organ/church music and worked for years as an organist.[snip] I haven't worked as an organist in 15 years.

[snip] Everything went well though. I guess I'm officially back in the saddle again. It feels so good. I didn't realize how much I missed it. I LOVE the organ, church music.....all that good stuff. [/quote]</P>

Briggsie,</P>

And let this be a lesson to you. Don't give up your avocation for your vocation! I speak from experience here.[] It took me 20 years to get my first practice organ in my home after I got my degrees. Unfortunately, I'm a bit slower than you in climbing back on that bike.</P>

Welcome to the Forum, and I apologize for my welcome being so late in the game. For what brand of church do you play? What sort of music do you use? More importantly, what denomination of organ do you play?</P>

Again, hopefully, this is a lesson learned you'll not soon forget. Welcome back to the fold.</P>

Michael</P>
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 6 Pianos

Comment

Re: Relief!!!!!

Thank you for the welcome. I play in a Presbyterian church on a 1984 Schantz, 21 ranks. I play all sorts of stuff. I need to dredge up some of my more difficult lit, but there is a lot of decent stuff still under my fingers. I didn't play any incidental music today because it was a "blended" service with the contemporary team. My prelude was a duet with my friend the music director (we were friends in college and stayed in touch). She played the piano. It was a Joel Raney arrangement of "He's Got The Whole World In His Hands." We played 3 movements, "Itty Bitty Baby," "Busy Busy People" and "Thunder and Lightning." It wasn't my choice. It was handed to me last week, and I prepared it. This was done in this manner because I was just hired, and so I kind of jumped in. From now on, the prelude, postlude and offertory are my choice. I have eclectic taste. </P>

Thanks again....</P>

Briggsie</P>

Comment

Working...
      X