This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Negative Ion Generator

I remember a thread on this Forum regarding getting the smell of smoke out of a digital organ by putting a negative ion generator in the room with it for a period of time.

I just bought a very nice second-hand CD player that looks and sounds very nice indeed. Unfortunately, it smells of tobacco smoke. Which negative ion generator should I use to deodorize my CD player? Would it work with the cover still on the player? Approximately how long might the process take? Could the negative ion generator cause any harm to the CD player or my other audio components?

Thank you for indulging all of my questions!

This may sound crazy but baking soda will eliminate smells like this. If it is a small CD unit. Dump a box of baking soda in a shallow pan, like a cookie sheet. Support the CD unit above the backing soda. Place the whole thing into a large plastic garbage bag and seal the bag. depending on how strong the odor is will determine how long you leave it in the bag. The baking soda will actually soak up the odor. If the odor is resistant you may want to repeat this treatment.

Comment

Make sure it doesn't produce ozone, most rubber speaker suspensions don't like it.

Comment

Baking soda is inert, but it has the ability to soak up and neutralize odors. It will not produce ozone.

Comment

Thanks!

The baking soda is helping already. Once I remove the baking soda, will the odor have disappeared from the CD player or will the internal residue continue to produce odor?

Comment

I am going to beg your collective indulgences and revisit this thread, please.

I bought a used CD player. Said player arrived in perfect condition - sounds excellent, etc. As soon as player warms up, it emits tobacco smoke odor. I sealed the player in plastic overnight with a half-box of baking soda. Results okay but not 100%. I installed two of the activated carbon aquarium filter packets in the CD player and left them in there for a few months now. The results are positive but still unsatisfactory.

I appeal to members who are chemists and physicists to advise me. Here are my recent thoughts on the matter.

I believe that the heat generated inside the player while in use releases the tobacco odor molecules. Apparently the mesh activated carbon packets are not picking up and trapping the odor. I have changed my strategy.

In an attempt to liberate the odor molecules, I have removed the cover from the player so that the molecules liberated by the heat will drift out of the player rather than being trapped inside and recirculating. I still have the carbon packets in place and have placed a large soup bowl of baking soda inside the equipment cabinet.

Am I correct in thinking that there are a finite number of odor molecules inside the player and that eventually the heat will liberate enough (most) of them to make the odor imperceptible?

Many thanks!!

Comment

If the cover contains no electronics, wash it inside and out with a lemon surface cleaner.
              Larry K
              Princeton, IL

Hammond BV+DR-20, Mathushek Square piano from 1934
              Retired: Hammond L-102, M-3, S-6, H-112, B-2+21H+PR-40, B-3+21H, Hammond Aurora Custom, Colonnade.

Comment

I have already done that - but thank you for the reminder.
                The odor is coming from the interior components. The tobacco smoke drifted into the unit (from the previous owner). The player has a very elaborate power supply with several heat sinks. I have also cleaned the heat sinks as best I could with cotton swabs. Still, the odor emanates from deep inside. SIGH!

Comment

Here is what I finally did: I removed the transport from the player and put both the transport and the cover aside. I literally dumped a box of baking soda onto the insides of the player. I positioned the player outside in the warm sun for a day. This helped, but the about half the odor was still there. I carefully cleaned out 100% of the baking soda and liberally sprayed the player with an entire can of the mildest electronic spray cleaner I could find (safe for plastics, etc.) I left the player in the warm sun for several hours. Meanwhile, the transport was also left in the sun, but was not treated with baking soda. I did carefully spray some of the transport, but avoided spraying near the laser and any moving parts. Finally, most of the odor was gone. It is now virtually imperceptable for all practical purposes.
                  The player went back together fine and functions perfectly.
                  Interesting note: It may be merely the power of suggestion, but I think I am hearing an improvement in the overall sound.
                  Thanks again for your responses!

Comment

Working...
                  X