This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

copying floppies to cd

I have a few friends performances on the US1 floppy disk recorder. The US1 has long gone and I would love to copy the floppies toCDs Or is there someone out there who could put them onto a cassette. I think I could manage to them get them on to CDs
    Any suggestions welcome

I assume you're referring to the Yamaha US1? If so, then I believe that what you actually have on your FD's is MIDI data, which can be copied to a CD easily enough using a pc, but will not be able to be played back on a CD player.

What you'll have to do is get access to a desktop pc (you won't find a new-ish laptop with a 3.5" FDD) which mustn't be older than say, five years or so and play the MIDI files whilst recording to a cassette deck either via the Line output connections on the pc or through the headphone socket. That is the simplest way that I can think of right now to achieve what you want.

If you want to record the audio to CD, I'm sure that there's cheap or even free software which converts MIDI files to CD audio files, ready to be burned onto a blank CD. Try a G00gling it.

HTH.
    Organs: Yamaha D-85, Technics U90 Pro, Wersi Helios W2S, 2x Yamaha HS8's.
    Keyboards: Roland E-70, Yamaha Tyros 3.
    Retired: Technics K700.

Comment

I think the files will be pretty useless without the original instrument. Even if you can get a software MIDI player to replay the notes (and I have a feeling the US1 would have recorded in a proprietary format, rather than Standard MIDI File format) the sounds will be all wrong. A PC/laptop is likely to have just General MIDI sounds, nothing that bears any resemblance to those on the US1.

Your only option is to try to find someone who has a working US1 and floppy drive, who is prepared to replay the songs on their organ and record them to audio for you.

Andy
      It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition
      Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
      Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.

Comment

copying floppy,s to cds

If its any help to those kind folks trying to help me,An organ mechanic advised that an ATARI computer would COPY the floppy,s . I bought the last one in a store very cheap and copied what floppies I had for the 3 friends who had US1 organs. It would be very nice to be able to put the floppy in the drive and burn it to a CD. Many thanks to all those who have responded to my plea and hope someone with a better brain than my 86 yr old one can rejuvenate mine into solving this. Thanks again

Comment

Hi Dolly,
          Your best bet is with Andy's suggestion, i.e. try to find someone who owns a US1 and go from there. Good luck!

Andy,
          thanks for the correction, I didn't realise the US1 was pre-General MIDI - oops!
          Organs: Yamaha D-85, Technics U90 Pro, Wersi Helios W2S, 2x Yamaha HS8's.
          Keyboards: Roland E-70, Yamaha Tyros 3.
          Retired: Technics K700.

Comment

Working...
          X