• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Instrument to create this organ sound?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkoPysoAdjc

or this band

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKU-ocRdQeY

I currently play in a similar band to the two above and we would love to get an instrument capable of this sound but it must be portable and moneys at a premium. I think the second band posted play a Roland vr-760 but that is way out of our price bracket. It looks like the first band is actually using a vintage organ, what would an actual organ cost that would do that job for us cost?

So if anyone could point us in the direction of a well priced portable instrument (organ or emulator) we would be most grateful!

Thanks!!

it is hard to say because I don't hear much of the organ in either clip. In the first clip there is a little bit of organ sound in the beginning but it seemed the only purpose was to run it through some sort of echo/delay loop throughout the entire song so it was realy more of a background drone. The second song - the guitars are so loud that I can't hear the keys at all - or maybe my hearing is no good...

Anyway there are a lot of very cheap organs out there and since the genre of music you seem interested in seems experimental by its nature, feel free to find any old cheap or free organ, run it through some fx processors, and have fun!
    Jimmy Williams
    Hobbyist (organist/technician)
    Gulbransen Model D with Leslie 204

Comment

To add to what I wrote before ... I just realized you really want something portable and cheap. An "organ" then isn't really what you want - maybe a "combo organ" (if you can find a cheap single manual instrument from the 70s) or a more modern portable keyboard. You can probably find any cheap portable keyboard at yard sales and run it through some FX processors. If you can provide a better example of a clip where we can hear the organ sound better that may help. Most of us here are more familiar with the sound of various full blown organs (pipe organs, Hammond organs, theater organs, church organs, home organs, etc.) but there are some here who know a lot about some portable keyboards too (I am not one of them...). It all depends on what you want to do with the keys. If the band is primarily bass/guitar/drums then I assume you want the organ for effect/mood/fills/countermelodies, so you probably don't need two manuals or bass pedals.
      Good luck,
      jimmy
      Jimmy Williams

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-COMBO-...item45f724449c

There is a youtube video of it too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdHoR...eature=related

I assume this is junk or would it do what im after with guitar delay and reverb effects added?

Calum

Comment

I couldn't make anything out of the first selection, but the beginning of the second one sounded like maybe a soft string (Salicional?) with a very gentle horn (or Gemshorn) with a lot of vibrato. I think most keyboards would be capable of similar sounds, but one probably would have to experiment to get it.

David

Comment

Calum,
            I am not familiar with the Skyline model at all and never heard of that one . try writing to these guys about it:
            http://www.combo-organ.com
            If you like the sound and you can get it cheap enough then go ahead.
            If you do get it you may have to replace those broken slide pots though. I don't know how easy it would be to find exact replacements - you would need the schematic and the pinouts/form factor. There was no "universal" type of slide pot unfortunately.
            But yes - an instrument like this would seem to be what you are after - not too complicated, not too big, but still has the "vintage" sound - in this case it would be a "bad" sound but I think that's now considered a good thing for garage bands, etc. You should realize though that these instruments are heavier to carry around than a cheap modern keyboard. Are you in the UK? I really don't know much about what sorts of combo organs are common to find over there. If this one doesn't pan out, I'm sure others will come along.

As you probably have discovered the price of certain well known combo organs has went up a lot over the past few years. My dad picked up my Farfisa at a flea market over 25 years ago and back then they were considered old junk. Different story now...

I'd like to hear some of your music - I am in an experimental punk band myself.

Good luck,
            jimmy
            Jimmy Williams

Comment

Working...
            X