X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Software for drilling chords?

This is a longshot ... I know ...

I've got a Mac and some MIDI cables and I'd like to find some software that will basically duplicate the effect of someone standing there with flashcards drilling me on chords.

You know ... "Play an Em7 in 1st inversion..."

There's a program called Chord Practice Buddy for the PC ... but I can't find anything for Mac.

Strange that this isn't more in demand. Google comes up with almost nothing. There's lots of note reading drill software, but nothing for chords.

Anyone know of one? I'll even pay for it if it's good.

-JOHN

Something like this: http://new.asymptopia.org/staticpage...ReadingTrainer Not really for Mac, but as a lot of linux apps run on mac these days.

Comment

I suppose you could just buy the flashcards and have them at whatever keyboard you happen to be close to. Or is there some extra advantage of the computer version?

Comment

Ha! I had to smile at your suggestion Regeron ... good common sense ... and that's ultimately what I'm using now as the stop-gap. I made up a bunch of 4x6 cards and they do sit nicely on the organ.

The main reason I imagine software is because at age 35, I taught myself how to type exceptionally well with Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing software. It had video games and customizable drills to keep things interesting. Today I'm a bery proffishient typissed.

Of course I can make flash cards work, just like I could have learned typing from a book, but how cool would it be to have a midi-compatible piece of software with a laptop sitting on top of the (midi) organ that can challenge me, learn my weak spots (like Mavis Beacon does), and customize the exercises to move me along most quickly. Here's the blurb for "Chord Practice Buddy v.1.1.2" (so far only for PCs): "A program to help you practice major, minor, diminished, augmented and all kind of other chords in all inversions. If you use a MIDI-cable, it will give you feedback if you played the right chord (and inversion) or not.. Can also be used for practicing chords for fake books and lead sheets."

Havoc, I checked the link you provided, but that is software for note-reading. That may be something for me in the future, but for now I just want to memorize and master chords at lightning speed. Thank you anyway, though.

I appreciate the feedback from both you guys. Thanks.

Hmmm... I think I'm this close to buying an old $100 PC just so I can run that one program.

I can't believe planet earth doesn't have one chord drilling program for the Mac. Seems like those EZ Play book guys or the Alfred people would come up with something like that.

-JOHN

Comment

Whatever you choose, as long as it motivates you to practice, you're already winning. You may own the best "Method" ever, but if it doesn't get you doing anything, it's not the best for YOU.

Good Luck! let us know how it goes and what you learn.

Comment

You don't need a pc, you can just as well use a virtual machine.

Comment

Yep, I thought of a virtual PC program on my Mac. They're a little pricey, aren't they? Regardless, I'm going to download the free preview of Chord Practice Buddy for PC and try it on my wife's PC computer once or twice. If it's "all that", a virtual PC program might do the job, regardless of cost.

I'm still drilling away with my flashcards, content but not excited.

Comment

Try www.musictheory.net I'm not sure what they have available there, but I'm sure something will be useful to you.

Michael
                Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
                • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
                • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
                • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Comment

A good program for learning chords and general aural skills is Auralia, made by the same folks who do Sibelius, and it runs on a Mac. I don't know that it would teach you chords at the keyboard, which might be what you want. Useful program for students, though.

Perhaps just practicing different scales, modes and arpeggios would teach you what and where the notes of each chord are on the keyboard? And learning to play from a 'fake book' or similar, with at minimum a melody line and chord symbols, might be more fun and useful than drilling yourself with flash cards.

Comment

Working...
                  X