This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Austerity measures(UK)

here in the UK (and in other places!) we are in the grip of `austerity measures` apparently because of the negligence of our finances by previous governments.
    Whilst I do realise that some painful action will have to be taken, making all of these people redundant seems a little counterproductive to me!
    When in employ, they were paying taxes and contributing towards the country`s economy-now they are consigned to the scrap heap-and eternal benefits system(for some)which will be a further burden on that ,which is already under terrific pressure!

Wombat,

The UK like many other nations has run up against the debt wall. The government's cupboard is bare. The only way out is to highly raise taxes (which is in the end counterproductive), or massive spending cuts, which includes laying off many civil servants. Spending cuts have to be hard and fast, otherwise it just doesn't convince anybody that much is being done about getting the fiscal house in order.

What most people don't realize, is that governments in terms of the economy is a parasite. If say 50% of the workforce worked at government jobs, pushing paper around, how much wealth creation would there be. Would there be any manufacturing (other than manufacturing government reports)? The 50% that doesn't work for the government would be taxes so high, that they couldn't bear the burden. I know 50% is a high number, but I am trying to paint the picture here.

If you or I ran our finances the way governments have, we would either be broke and/or go to jail.

If you think the UK is bad, wait when the crap hits the fan in the US. They are running up deficits of unheard of amounts, and the government is printing money as fast as it can to ease the situation a bit. But eventually, there won't be any more takers for government debt, and then the trouble will become huge worldwide.

We in the West where we live in democratic countries, have ourselves to blame. We get bribed into voting for politicians who promise the moon with our money, and any shortfall is borrowed on money markets. Eventually though there is a debt wall, and bills have to be paid.

Just hope the UK won't become another Greece, Ireland, or other countries that are at risk.

And things may just start to get worse. Just look at the pictures coming out of Egypt, Tunisia. Other countries are likely to see the same happening. This affects economies and money markets elsewhere.

We are living in unusual times.............indeed.

AV

Comment

We are living in unusual times.............indeed.
      Not that unusual either. The parallels to the fall of the roman empire aren't that far off.

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts, Havoc.
        I know that a load of these so called `jobs` in higher echelons need to go-they`re just fantasy ones created in the `old boys network`,
        but I`m still concerned at the sweeping measures proposed,that may have some adverse effect and increase the problem.
        It`s a complex issue-I too always have in mind the fall of Rome.
        wombat 11

Comment

meanwhile in Canada the Leafs lose another hockey game! We are too insulated from the turmoil around the world except watching our soldiers bodies travel the Highway of Heroes as the continue to die in Afghanistan. I live close to the airbase where they return. Crazy world.
          1956 M3, 51 Leslie Young Chang spinet, Korg Krome and Kronos

Comment

I wouldn't dream of discussing politics here, but would like to invite Wombat to join CiF (Comment is Free at The Guardian) - suffice to say, he's not alone in his views.

Comment

Originally posted by jdoc View Post
              meanwhile in Canada the Leafs lose another hockey game! We are too insulated from the turmoil around the world except watching our soldiers bodies travel the Highway of Heroes as the continue to die in Afghanistan. I live close to the airbase where they return. Crazy world.
              I am ever mindful of those who make the supreme sacrifice for the good of humanity-war, in itself, never really solves anything but,as many will know,sometimes it is the only final option.
              I suppose that we are suffering financial hardship, but it is little compared with the families and friends of those who have lost their lives to this end.

Comment

Originally posted by Skaramouche View Post
                I wouldn't dream of discussing politics here, but would like to invite Wombat to join CiF (Comment is Free at The Guardian) - suffice to say, he's not alone in his views.
                Yes,thanks,I`ll give it a go!

Comment

Working...
                X