Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are these punitive eBay seller conditions for real?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are these punitive eBay seller conditions for real?

I came across this notice in an eBay listing, and it's the first time I've heard of the impact of detailed seller ratings spelled out in this level of detail. If true, then they strike me as way over the top for as a buyer I wouldn't necessarily give a perfect 5 to every category, however I had no idea of the impact of a 4.

**IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT FEEDBACK**

Please make sure you leave a rating of "5" on all detailed sellers ratings (DSRs) when you are leaving feedback. Ebay recently made changes to their feedback system where sellers can suffer SEVERE penalties if anything besides a "5" is left and you may be hurting your favorite sellers without knowing it. What are these penalties?

*Any rating below 4.9: Seller pays an additional 5% in fees to sell on ebay

*Any rating below 4.8: Seller pays an additional 10% in fees to sell on ebay, and seller's listings are demoted in ebay's search - making them harder to find

*Any rating below 4.6: Seller pays an additional 5% in fees to sell on ebay and loses powerseller status. Listings are further demoted in ebay's search

*Any rating below 4.3: Penalty -Seller's listings are moved to the last pages of search results

*Any rating below 4.1: Penalty - Seller is no longer allowed to list on ebay

Ebay tells you a "4" rating means the item was accurately described, that you were satisfied with the seller's communication, the item was shipped quickly, and the shipping charges were reasonable - which a normal person would say is a good thing.

However, ebay treats a "4" as a request to terminate the sellers's ebay account, charge the seller more, and make it difficult for bidders to find that seller's items.

If you feel that the service you received does not warrant a "5" rating, PLEASE contact us so we can resolve any issues for you.

Note: This is true for all your transactions, anything less than a ‘FIVE’ will hurt your seller, even though it would seem that a four rating should indicate a satisfied buyer—such is ebay. So anytime you have an issue, please give your seller a chance to correct this issue before you leave feedback.

Link: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Pair-Western-...item19c2b15c39
    -------

Hammond M-102 #21000.
    Leslie 147 #F7453 in the queue.
    Hammond S-6 #72421

I'm an eBay seller and I've never seen these conditions. From practical standpoint it doesn't make any sense either as no one is required to leave feedback. I'm calling BS on this one.

Ask the seller to send you a link to the ebay policy he states.
    -Admin

Allen 965
    Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
    Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
    Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

People BS all the time, especially when selling things. Any facet of life: dating, politics, hanging at the bar, work, play, whatever. Run away from this clown. Consider reporting the listing. That ain't right. The more BS you tolerate in life the more you will get. Don't help this clown posting Lies in an ad.
      When I become dictator, those who preach intolerance will not be tolerated.

Comment

The only thing I can find in eBay help pages on the subject of Detailed Seller Ratings is this:

"The detailed seller rating system is based on a 1- to 5-star scale. 5 stars is the highest rating, and 1 star is the lowest. Detailed seller ratings don't affect a seller's overall Feedback score, but we take these ratings into account when we evaluate sellers to see if they're eligible for discounts and other benefits."

Being ineligible for discounts is one thing, but being banned from listing is quite another thing altogether.

I Googled this sentence "Any rating below 4.1: Penalty - Seller is no longer allowed to list on ebay" and had hundreds of hits from a variety of seller names.

And there is also a November 2009 reference to the issue in the eBay Community Discussion Board, here:

http://forums.ebay.com/db1/topic/Pol...Ebay/510158017

One reading of this is that there are "secret" eBay policies that apply to "Power Sellers".

I will ask the seller I quoted in my original post to point me to the black letter policy.

Edit: ... and for good measure, I've fired off a "please explain" to eBay support.
        Last edited by gtc; 01-30-2011, 09:15 AM.
        -------

Hammond M-102 #21000.
        Hammond S-6 #72421

Comment

Deafening silence so far from the seller -- no surprise there.

A generalized reply from eBay which did not address my specific query, so I have requested that eBay address my question regarding the subject policy.
          -------

Hammond M-102 #21000.
          Hammond S-6 #72421

Comment

A generalized reply from eBay which did not address my specific query, so I have requested that eBay address my question regarding the subject policy.
            Please let us know when you hear something! I'm pretty curious. Sounds like a scam to me, though.

Comment

If it's a scam, then it's a widespread one, judging by the number of sellers quoting that text, and it may be a case of eBay management with its head in the sand; see no evil, etc.

I just received a Support Survey. I rated their response as a complete fail and my feedback as very dissatisfied. Let's see if there's a follow-up on that.
              -------

Hammond M-102 #21000.
              Hammond S-6 #72421

Comment

Finally I get a follow-up response from eBay. It is as useless as the initial one ...

Thank you for writing to eBay in regard to our policy regarding Detailed
                Seller's Rating.

Please accept my apologies for taking us a while to get back to you.

I understand your annoyance on the email that you received since it has
                not answered your query. Don't worry, I'll help you find the answer that
                you need.

Detailed seller's rating are used to reward sellers for building
                a loyal customer base. All ratings from repeat buyers count towards the
                average detailed seller ratings score. This has an impact on the power
                seller status on a member or status of a member who wants to be a power
                seller.

... no recognition of my question regarding eBay official DSR policy in the context
                of the the "scare" message being put about by various sellers.

Going by the signatories, I get the impression these responses are coming from India.
                -------

Hammond M-102 #21000.
                Hammond S-6 #72421

Comment

I smell a waft of FUD from somebody who resents the fact that customers expect a decent standard of service - there's no other logical reason for the original email... trouble is, like the daft/paranoid chain letters that do the rounds about various things they're easier to start than stop.

The sanctions apply when your average drifts downwards... so unless you annoy an awful lot of buyers you wouldn't be affected.

If you do annoy an awful lot of buyers -and it would need to be a significant number to pull your average down that far - then it's time to start wondering if you're in the right business?

Comment

Well when I buy online I generally go by past customer reviews. I feel like that is a strong indication of how high/low quality a seller is.

Comment

Originally posted by mandyjune View Post
                      Well when I buy online I generally go by past customer reviews. I feel like that is a strong indication of how high/low quality a seller is.
                      Yes, general feedback is important and as a seller you have the option of discarding bids from eBayers whose feedback from other buyers and sellers is poor.

However, the additional detailed seller rating appears to apply mainly to so-called "Power Sellers" and it appears to impact eBay fee discounts for that category of seller, thus the BS being spread by a number of them.
                      -------

Hammond M-102 #21000.
                      Hammond S-6 #72421

Comment

Working...
                      X