X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loooong time clearing customs

Hi all!

I've been ordering some parts for my Leslie in the US because there are no dealers with such items in stock in my region (Europe). I've ordered plenty of other items from the USA before and didn't have any major problems until recently when a parcel containing a Leslie amplifier was sitting for over two weeks at customs for "inspection." This morning I've been trying to pull some strings at the postal service that handles incoming mail from USPS over here. They had a phone number to call their customs department directly which was very helpful for me in the past, but all of a sudden they begin to get unfriendly on the phone and refer to a more general service number on which you don't get any answers either.

The problem is that I've asked my dealer to ship the parcel using Express Mail International with an expected delivery time of 3-5 business days, hopefully to receive my items a bit quicker because I need them fast - but now the customs seem to be oblivious to the Express Mail service. I went the extra mile and pay a little more for faster shipping, though now I feel that I'd better keep that extra money (some $30) in my pocket since it doesn't make that much difference anyway. Man, I could even grab a dinghy and row myself over the big ocean and back again within these two weeks!

As I'm not a USA resident I cannot contact the USPS customer service and I'm not sure what else I could do. I'm not a criminal and I don't intend to import nuclear war heads or something and I'm beginning to get really fed up with waiting for my hard needed goods! Any suggestions?

Originally posted by sarqoz View Post
    I've ordered plenty of other items from the USA before and didn't have any major problems until recently when a parcel containing a Leslie amplifier was sitting for over two weeks at customs for "inspection."
    So, you are saying that the shipment is being delayed within the USA while US Customs gets around to inspecting it?

In my experience, it's Customs at my (receiving) end that holds things up.

Do you have a tracking number record that shows your shipment has been inside US Customs for two weeks?
    -------

Hammond M-102 #21000.
    Leslie 147 #F7453 in the queue.
    Hammond S-6 #72421

Comment

Yeah, I meant the customs over here.

Comment

I don't know where in Europe you are but customs in Germany has been a real pain in recent years. We send Christmas presents to one of our previous exchange students and they have to go to the customs office to pick up the box. Of course everything is listed on the shipping papers but they still make them unwrap all the packages so they can be inspected first. Then they whine about some stupid tax on cheap costume jewelry.
        "The employment of the piano is forbidden in church, as is also that of noisy frivolous instruments such as drums, cymbals, bells and the like." St. Pius X

Comment

Originally posted by sarqoz View Post
          Yeah, I meant the customs over here.
          When you said: "As I'm not a USA resident I cannot contact the USPS customer service" I got the impression it was the US end that you were complaining about.

Once an item leaves the USA, the USPS has no control over what happens.

I would suggest that you need to complain about the unexplained and unacceptable delays to the head of the Customs department in your country, and cc the appropriate government minister.
          -------

Hammond M-102 #21000.
          Leslie 147 #F7453 in the queue.
          Hammond S-6 #72421

Comment

Same in Belgium. Takes 10 days to clear a single book that is clearly labelled as so, then I get 15 euro to pay for "transactions" and postage because they had to send it from the customs to me (????).

Comment

I don't know where in Europe you are but customs in Germany has been a real pain in recent years. Of course everything is listed on the shipping papers but they still make them unwrap all the packages so they can be inspected first. Then they whine about some stupid tax on cheap costume jewelry.
              Same in Belgium. Takes 10 days to clear a single book that is clearly labelled as so, then I get 15 euro to pay for "transactions" and postage because they had to send it from the customs to me (????).
              Exactly what I mean. I don't mind paying any tax fees or custom duties, but I do mind paying for a more expensive and theoretical faster shipping service not happening. I know the local post service intercepts the parcels coming in from USPS, but in doing that: don't they have the obligation to act in correspondence with USPS shipping service? If not, they should sure make a convincing attempt at trying it!

I've already filed an official complaint about it, but I don't think a complaint from a single customer will make any difference. I am calling the heck out of the customs department of the postal service too, driving the guy at the phone insane for the rest of his life.

In the meantime I have another parcel from the USA coming my way, about the same size, weight and value. It was sent just a few days after the other parcel using Priority Mail International and yesterday its status was updated to "out of foreign customs!" I cannot understand why a Priority (cheap) parcel gets through quicker than an Express (expensive) parcel!

Also, I don't buy talks like: "Sorry mister, but we screen incoming parcels more strictly because of potential terrorist attacks" and that crap. I'm not a terrorist!

We are just at the mercy of the whims of the customs and it just seems like they could do about almost anything they want, souping up time, money, some grey hairs AND the well being of all mankind and beyond...

The least thing they could do before clearing it is wrap the parcel in gift paper!

Comment

Working...
              X