Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any pedal experts able to answer an anal-retentive pedal question?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any pedal experts able to answer an anal-retentive pedal question?

I'm practicing pedals on a Hammond B3. I use street shoes when I play, so it really helps when I "tip" my foot to one side or the other so I'm not laying straight down on top of the pedals. I've heard this is a legitimate technique and some high-end teachers swear by it.

I've naturally acclimated to tipping my foot to the left when I'm playing C to G ... and tipping it to the right when I'm playing A and up.

Today I started working on my first song that had an G# in it. Tipping either way feels weird for some reason.

Is there anyone here who is skilled with pedals who has a principle they use to decide how to tip the feet and which way would be right for G#?

-NEUMIE

I have learned in my studies to tip/roll my foot when playing the pedals, not only because it's accepted, but especially because I have wide feet.

However, it sounds as if I play the opposite. I always learned to play almost as if I were playing with my big toe. So my feet generally tilt inward, unless I have a certain passage or stretch that requires otherwise.

As far as the flats are concerned, I don't worry about tilting or angling as much. However, I do tend to angle slightly. It sounds as if you are angling outwards, which I feel may be slightly awkward due to the ergonomics of the pedalboard.

Of course, this could be an exception for the Hammond pedalboard. I've never played one.

Comment

Thanks, Jskumro. I'm in the same boat ... gorgeously wide feet. I definitely need to tip the feet, especially in street shoes.

It sounds like I'm developing my own technique here.

Anyone else have any other thoughts on angling the feet and on what notes to face this way or that?

-NEUMIE

Comment

I wonder if you might be overthinking this a bit. It sounds a bit like asking "which finger should I used on middle C?" Isn't it about the technique and what's goining on before and after that specific note?

At some point I do intend to find an organ teacher to get a few lessons. My pedalling doesn't get me far.
        When I become dictator, those who preach intolerance will not be tolerated.

Comment

I have wide feet and sometimes find it difficult to avoid hitting two pedals at once. The only real solution is to use the enge of the foot and tip the feet. Note that the toes should always be used if possible, heels only on white keys if necessary to play legato. Alternate toes tend to be more accurate.

For theatre organ style playing, the left toe is used most often with the right used to fill in up the pedal board and for difficult rapid passages. Toe and heel is better for classical, connected notes.
          Allan

My home organ
          Style D Wurlitzer pipe organ
          http://bluemoonwalkinghorses.com/Sty...tion5_rev3.htm
          Five Newfoundland dogs
          Sixteen Tennessee walking horseshoes

Comment

Well my feet aren't notably large so perhaps my experience doesn't meet the right criteria for your question, but irrespective of whatever technique you may/may not have been taught, nothing will work better than what feels right. Perhaps you should try not to overthink it and see what emerges 'naturally' as I like to think.

Comment

Working...
            X