X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP Laserjet 5 Printer

I love my HP Laserjet 5 Printer - but I have a problem with it, to wit:

I print very little - less than 100 pages per year. When I install a new toner cartridge, the cartridge lasts for about three years and then starts making dirty copies. I have been told that these cartidges are intended for high-volume printing - more like 100 pages per week. Apparently, the cartridge simply gets too old and then starts making dirty copies.

Would it help if I removed the cartridge between uses and stored it in a large ziplock bag?

SIGH!

MANY THANKS!!

Hi.
    What you were told about 'high-volume' printing is partially correct - laser printers like regular use, which yours isn't getting. For a short-term fix, you could try removing the toner cartridge, give it shake (think of maracas, but don't go mad with it) and replace it in the printer. That may improve things. It really needs a service and the Transfer Roller needs a clean. There are plenty of online tips for doing this if you want to have a go yourself.

IMPORTANT! Inside every laser printer there are voltages of -600V D.C. present! Giving the internal rollers a clean is fairly straightforward, but you must take caution. Remove the power cable from the electrical wall socket and let the printer stand for at least five minutes to allow any residual charges to dissipate.

If you're in any doubt whatsoever, get an engineer to service it.
    Organs: Yamaha D-85, Technics U90 Pro, Wersi Helios W2S, 2x Yamaha HS8's.
    Keyboards: Roland E-70, Yamaha Tyros 3.
    Retired: Technics K700.

Comment

Thank you, Keyboardguy!

I have already tried your good suggestions many times with no improvement.
      I have been officially advised that my problem is chronological.

Comment

I have an HP 5Mx Laser printer ( the giant thing?) Anyway, you can buy that huge toner cartridge with free shipping on ebay from a company...forget the name for $10! It is good for 10,000 prints ( low quality) and I have stuff sitting on the printer, but if you really want to know I can look.

It helps if you take out the cartridge and shake it before you print if it's been sitting. Hit the 'Test Print' about once every couple of months to keep the rollers from getting flat spots etc. If you get the new cartridge keep the box and just put your cartridge in it like you said if it's going to be long periods without printing.

I installed more memory in mine - like 10 megs or something, but that didn't seem to make much difference. I get 26 prints a minute. I buy 500 sheets of color paper from the local dollar store ( it's peach colored, better than white) for $2. So I can print 100 copies for about 40 cents.
        Wurlitzer '46' Model 31 Orgatron & 310 rotary cab, 56' 4410 , 65' 4300
        Hammond '55' S6 Chord Organ,HR-40,ER-20, 1971 X66/& 12-77 tone cabinet w/ 122 kit & TREK Transposer- of which I've retrofitted a Wurlitzer/Lowrey 'PedAL gLIdE' awesome!
        Gulbransen 61' 1132 '76' Rialto II & Leslie 705 + two 540
        Conn '57' 406 Caprice '59' 815 Classic (the 29th 815)
        PLEASE SAVE THE WURLITZER ELECTROSTATIC CONTINUOUS-FREE-REED ORGANS 1953'-1961' Hammond TW's ONLY TRUE COMPETITOR! (Ggl> NSHOS WURLI 4600)

Comment

Working...
        X