This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't Laugh, I'm just bored

I am going to try to make a calliope/pipe organ using a Magnus reed organ and "epiphany" pipes.

Television has nothing worth watching on, and I work odd hours at the Theatre, so I have quite a bit of free time. Out of sheer boredom one day, I looked over at my $5 magnus reed organ, and decided to take it apart. Well, I think I found a way to hook two octaves of epiphany pipes to it. I do not expect anything great to come of it, but I think it will sound better that the "accordion" that it is.
    The best part is that it will only cost me about $5 to do it.

Re: Don't Laugh, I'm just bored

Go for it!

Comment

Hmmm, this gives me an idea as I have a huge collection of reed chord organs. I have one Magnus but I find the quality of the Magnus is not the best... some of my favorites are:

RCA Victor (built by Farfisa I believe) - I have 3 of these and some have different reeds built into them

Orcoa Concert Symphony - fine sounding reeds! Nice instrument.

Briscoe Harmony - sounds just like an accordion - has 4 banks of reeds and each can be selected alone or all mixed together - has all 12 chords in bass, major, minor, diminished - lots of fun but some of the higher notes have gone a bit sour (out of tune!)

Orcana - nice!

Magnavox - has two pickups and amplifies the sound from the reeds with adjustable vibrato - great! (Made in USA, unlike all the others which are made in Italy, I believe)...

With all the high tech organs coming out now, it's kind of nice to go back in time and enjoy the sound of an old chord organ.

Comment

A Magnus pipe organ, wow! Gotta see this when it's done.

I can remember playing these little things in my local Woolworths store. A lot of us taking piano lessons in our town would go in on a Saturday -one at a time - and play them till we each got thrown out by the manager!

Andy G
        It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
        Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
        Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
        Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Working...
        X