This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is????

What is APO (or am I totally off on the initials?) What is that?

Re: What is????

It's AGO, oops.................

What is that?

Comment

American
      Guild
      (of)
      Organists

Not to be confused with "Art Gallery of Ontario" or "Australian Greenhouse Office"

Comment

APO, on the other hand, is Army Post Office.

Comment

I would certainly suggest you join the AGO... I'm a member of the Dallas chapter myself (thank goodness I sent the 05-06 forms in on time!).

Assuming you give them enough money ; ) they send you a magizine "The American Organist", I believe 10 times a year. Plus, the Dallas chapter has its own newsletter that gets out every month as well, and I'd assume most other chapters do as well. It comes in handy because they put stuff in like job openings, events, recitals, etc, all in your chapter. PLUS, churches get a hold of my address from the directory and send me information on organ recitals/concerts, etc...

Pretty neat...

Comment

You are a member of the Dallas Chapter!?!? Then I suppose you may know Diane Penney!! She was the Dean up until May I think. Neatest person on Earth.

Comment

I believe I have met her, and I know who she is, but I don't know her personally or anything... she does seem like a neat lady...

Comment

Yeah, she is our organist. She is probably the funnniest person on Earth too.

Comment

So why does Allen Organs say oh our organs are all "AGO"???? Anyone know that one?

Comment

I guess that they're saying that the console dimensions of all their organs conform to those 'recommended' by the AGO (and good old RCO over on this side of the water!)
                    Andy G
                    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
                    Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
                    Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
                    Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

You may want to go to the library and check out "The Contemporary American Organ" by William H. Barnes. While a bit dated on some issues, there is a very good chapter about console standardization. In short, many, many years ago, organ builders used their own measurements for organ consoles/keydesks. This resulted in a wide difference in console proportions, and made getting used to different instruments by different builders difficult. (Imagine driving a car with the accelerator and brake pedals reversed, for example). When I was in college, some of our parctice organs had flat pedalboards while others had concave radiating ones(now commonly referred to as AGO pedalboards). Depending on the builder and the pedalboard, it took some adjusting to play the same piece on different organs so that you would not overstep or understep a pedal line. I even know of an E&GG Hook organ here in WV that has only a 20 note pedalboard!
                      The AGO, along with the major builders of the day, attempted to even out the differences by recommending and adopting certain parameters to organ console design and proportion, such as the length and width of keys, amount of overhang, depth of keyfall, distance from the lowest manual to the pedalboard, number of keys on both the manuals and pedalboard, width, length, and spacing of pedal keys, placement of swell and crescendo shoes, and- last but not least- the concave radiating pedalboard. With the exception of builders who build instruments in the replica of historic organs, these standards are now pretty much the norm. So, if a builder says an organ has an AGO console, the organist has an idea of the console and proportions.
                      And incidentally, not ALL Allens have AGO consoles. The Princess pedalboards on their "compact" consoles do not conform. They are only used on their smallest organs however.

Comment

Working...
                      X