This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting Keys (Pics are up)

A buddy of mine bought a wurlitzer piano not to long ago, and it seems the owner before him painted the keys.
    That paint is wearing off, making it look horrible, but will not come off by any means.
    We tried everything, and it wont come off with out permanently damaging the keys. So our idea is to remove them and RE-Paint them so that they will look halfway decent. The question: What paint would be most suitable for this application? We need one that is durable, and will hold up to the pounding of fingers, but with a slight gloss to make them appealing.

By the way, they were painted in "Vox Continental" Style i.e. reversed colors. It Actually looks really cool, so we are kind of excited to see an end result. It it works out, maybe I'll give my L-133 some cosmetic changes.

Re: Painting Keys

I believe Schaff piano supply carries such an item. Ask your local tuner to order some for you.

Comment

Ok, so am I an idiot or did everyone have a little bit of a problem when they first approached their first 'real' organ that had inverse key color to that of the piano? I swear my whole class that started out felt retarted for a week while our eyes adjusted. It just seems so werid that that sort of small thing would bother someone as much. Humans are strange people.

Comment

It never bothered me much when I used to play a borrowed Continental, although my grandma had one heck of a time playing anything that she normally could.
        I guess thats a good test to see if you need to look at what your playing or not. Naturally, If your blind than it wouldn't matter in the slightest. (thats a no-brainer)

Comment

Rumour has it that when Prince Charles married Lady Di, amongst the thousands of gifts they received was an electronic organ. It was gratefully accepted, on the condition that it was painted green to match the room colour scheme. I have this hideous vision of light green naturals and dark green sharps. Come to think of it, I have seen a picture of a 60's organ painted in psychedelic colours including the keys! I'll try and find it.
          Andy G
          It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
          Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
          Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
          Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Actually, I actually prefer the inverse key colors! Dark brown naturals with lighter wood sharps... ooooh! Now, the majority of the organs that I have ever played have normal colors, but I really do think it just looks neat. I don't think it's caused me any problems though... I don't really pay attention to what the keys look like... just how they feel and even more simply where they are!

Comment

Don't care much about the color of the keys. But light and dark green would trow me of balance. I would probably trow up as well...

Comment

Well they are done (not on the Piano, but on my L-133) and the result is glorious.
                I should have done this a long time ago. In a bit I'll get a pic or two up for those who care to see it.

Comment

i would like to see!

i always loved the colors of the inversed keys.. it looks classy...

Comment

Soon, I need to get my digicam fixed. The lens seems to not be able to operate out of the range of F3.4-F8, It used to be able to open all the way to F1.8, and on the other end, I could close it.

Digital equipment, ugh, don't you ever feel that their is some guy in a suit laughing up in a big office?

Comment

Pics Should FINALLY Work

Mind you, these pics are when the keys were not tightened down, so they might not look too linear.

Comment

You painted HAMMOND keys the other way round??????

Comment

Well its more of an iron-clad powder-coat, but yes I Did.

Calm down, I have the original keys safely stored in a dry box. These were ones that I bought off of a L-111 that was being gutted out. Paid $5 for the whole two manuals worth. I bought them thinking I would need a replacement set someday, but I figured, Why the Hell would I Keep my L-133 as my main instrument??? So I decided to have a little fun and make the machine a personal item. Boy you should have seen the look on peoples face while I was playing them at the Jazz jam last week!! Everyone wanted to know what hammond it was. Gave the ol' L-100's a little more respect I suppose.

Comment

Oh, that way... It wasn't good for my bloodpressure those pics.

Comment

Working...
                            X