This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I thought this was pretty neat...

Earlier today we had a choral retreat. It was arranged entirely by the music director/pianist at our church. It was really pretty neat... Went over Christmas music, church music, and some other stuff we're doing in the near future. We had brought two keyboards for us to play, one for me, and one for the pianist.

We held it at this one couple's house, because the pianist gives him piano lessons. This house was HUGE! The master bathroom was bigger than my bedroom, and the TV in the workout room was bigger than the one in my living room! Upstairs they had a movie theatre, complete with four leather lounge chairs, movie posters, and a big movie screen with a projector.

Now to the reason why I'm posting... Despite the fact that this is the "organ forums", this is pretty neat...

They had a Bosendorfer piano... with MORE than 88 keys! It was actually kindof hard to get myself to play those keys because after a lifetime of just playing with 88 keys, it's hard to just add some keys to that... Rather than ending at A, it went down to F. Pretty neat I'd say. The piano was a rich red wood with a golden colored wood inlay. The absolute most expensive piano I'd played ever... and probably will for a long time.

Well, I'd choose an organ over a piano any day, without thinking, but I still say that was pretty neat.

Re: I thought this was pretty neat...

I'll never forget the first time I played a few notes on a Bosendorfer. It was, oddly enough, during an organ crawl at this richer than God Church in the Twin Cities. This was their 'second' piano too. NOt their primary one.

Why ANYONE would want to play a Steinway if they could afford a Bosendorfer is BEYOND understanding. I think that if my college had at least one Bosendorfer I may have kept up my piano. Who am I kidding? I can't stand to even look at pianos yuck.. I'd rather listen to a flute choir than a piano recital. but anyway...

I suppose Bosendorder is to Steinway what Allen is to Rodgers... (ducks and covers)

Comment

Piano heaven for me was back in the 80's when working for Kawai. At the Frankfurt or NAMM shows you could nip out at lunch and play the Steinway D, Bosie Imperial 290, Kawai EX, Yamaha CF3S and goodness knows how many other concert grands. I'm with buzzy on this when he says that if you could afford a Bosie you wouldn't want a Steinway (or anything else for that matter!) I just wish some of my colleges would realise that instead of following the flock. It sounds somehow rather churlish to say I'm fed up with model D's, though!
      Andy G
      It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
      Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
      Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
      Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

I suppose Bosendorder is to Steinway what Allen is to Rodgers... (ducks and covers)

Haha...

I actually heard a flute concert one time... I was at a music conference and I heard two or three flutes play a little recital... I have to agree with you on this one, buzzy, I just think piano recitals are boring... I mean, it's the same exact tone - the entire time. They just make it louder or softer...

However, as much as I don't like the piano, it's ALWAYS a good idea to keep up in your piano studies... Not only is it good for when you go somewhere and someone tells you to sit down and play a tune (that's happened to me LOTS of times... on really really good pianos, and really really bad pianos). It also keeps your fingers from being lazy, considering the piano keys are harder to press than those on an organ. And finally, it actually helps on technique.

Any organ professor will tell you that... (well, the ones that know what they're talking about anyways! ; )

Comment

I wouldn't turn away a Steinway. If I turn it on its side it might fit in the living room. But I prefer any piano to an electronic organ. Even an out of tune one.

Not sure about the flute concert. You need pretty good flutists to make it interesting.

Comment

>You need pretty good flutists to make it interesting.

That throws out the 5th grade "Recorder" concert.

Comment

I remember my "performances" on recorder...lucky they were never recorded! Must have the silly thing around somewhere.

Comment

I remember that as a kid I was quite bored with our music classes. We had really great music education programs in MN before the republicans when I was a kid, but I'd still get horribly bored with the rest of those taking piano, etc. So when it came to recorder semester I would cringe in boredom as we played out of our books over and over every single day... playing question and response cadances, etc. blah blah blah. Finally we figured out that if we overblowed we could REALLY annoy our teacher and she'd threaten to stop recorder class. Of course she could never find out who did it, and we never ended recorder class. EVER.

Of course when I was a general music teacher myself (strangely enough in the exact same school in the exact same room, using the exact same recorders) I lived in fear that the kids would figure this out. They never did. I am now pen pals with this teacher. It was just about the only thign I've ever done 'wrong.' This feels like an exceedingly boring version of "Taxi Cab Confessions-- Music Teacher Edition."

Well, we dont' have arts programs like we used to, and back when I was still teaching HS, seniors would come to me at least once a month using the word 'Tritone' when they mean 'Triad'-- still confuses me everytime... but hey, We've got JET SKIS and Deer Hunting! Whooo Doogie! We're one step away from becoming Alabama.

And now that I dont' teach elementary anymore, there is nothing in the world that could get me to go to a recorder concert-- or clainet concert. Though I'd rather go to a recorder concert than a piano recital, for sure!

Oddly enough I had a voice teacher who heard me playing through my required "Recorder Teaching Methods" excersises while waiting for a lesson and he said I should major in recorder. Either he was impressed or he was just the passive agressive SOB I always imagined.

Comment

George Bush doesn't care about music education.
                  Finally self-published some of my compositions! https://www.createspace.com/3734555
                  Piano and organ videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/CurtisBooksMusic

Comment

keep political comments in the greasepit please...that is the area specifically for "posts consisting of foul language, personal attacks, slander, and wanton flaming"...i.e. politics ~

.....or at least PLEASE if you wish to express your political views start a new thread that warns it is POLITICAL in the subject header so those of us who want to avoid politics in here can do so.

thanks!

Comment

Speaking of 'Pee-anerrs

Just today I was talking to my guitarist buddy whom I play with every now and then, and a few guys came over to join in. We chatted for a while and each had a pretty good time.
                      Out of the Blue, one of the guys leans in my direction, says: "So....I hear you play the Piano". Quickly, I corrected him with a simple "Organ".

**Following story-line not for weak of heart**

The next thing that came out of his mouth was, "Oh....Same thing."
                      -Sound of Vinyl Record Scratching to Halt-

The rest of the day I spent in the back of my head thinking of the perfect explanation to ream him out with.

Comment

What a glorious day it was for me when I FINALLY began calling myself an <u>organist</u> and not a pianist! Hah, I can't remember that day, it was so many years ago... I do remember though how I would used to say "oh yes I play piano"...

Of course, so many people have made that mistake, and I've corrected them so many times, that they dare not refer to it as the "big piano" or the "thing with those tube things".

Yeah, please keep the political comments out... I'd even say on the greese pit as well (even though that's the place for that type of thing).

And a recorder concert over a piano concert? You must be nuts! I mean, I can understand anything over a piano concert, clarinet, flute, oboe, basoon, even kazoo, but recorder?! They're so annoying sounding! Not to mention, no one likes the sound of them enough to actually get good at one... so I've never heard anyone play it half way deciently...

Kazoo concert... hmmmm....

Comment

The nuance of the piano touch is one that even the great Marcel Dupre so appreciated. Dupre, like other great organists, played/practiced the piano continuously throughout his career. I once saw a Horowitz concert---anything but boring!

Comment

Allan... tell us abou tthe Horowitz concert..what did he play?

I remember watching Horowitz's Moscow concert on television on CBS early in the morning in the early 1980's.. wow.

Comment

Boooooooooooooring. Booooooooooooring.

This message brought to you by citizens concerned about arts funding and jet skis.

Comment

Working...
                              X