This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I thought this was pretty neat...

To be honest, I like the piano. And if I have to choose between the recorder/clarinet/violin and the piano, give me the piano any day.

But there are only just as much good pianists as there are organists...

Comment

But there are only just as much good pianists as there are organists...

Keyword: good

Anyone, anyone can play chopsitcks (i HATE that song), or at least part of it. Anyone can sit down that one annoying song (C, Am, F, G), even if they can hardly play it. There are few good musicans that actually know how to play anying decient...

Still, there are probably more good pianists than good organists... *sigh*

As one (random) organist said, "we're dying out... for every organist, he or she needs to get at least two new people interested in the organ. one to make up for them when he/she dies, and another to spread the cause of the organ.". I don't remember who said this, but I agree completely!

Still though, the more experienced you are on a piano, the better you'll be on the organ...

Comment

> Still, there are probably more good pianists than good organists... *sigh*

Not sure. If you see what comes out of the music schools here, then I say there are just as much good organists then there are pianists. Don't know why, but organists seem to care more about it than pianists. Same for the teachers. Most piano teachers I met couldn't care less how you played. If you came, they got paid. While the organ teacher all had a drive to get you on a higher level. But I guess that may be true for all "less popular" instruments.

Comment

Isn't it interesting how many pianists are scared to tackle the organ? Even when they KNOW the basics or more??? Our church has 2 very talented pianists who played organ for previous churches and STILL have an organ phobia. I trained on the piano for 8 years and hated it. I DID appreciate the theory and fully understand why it's a good starting point.

I'd rather hear an organ any day, recorded or live.

Anyone enjoy listening to an annoying fast-paced piano piece on your classical radio station? Not me.......I find it gets under my skin and I opt for ANYTHING else on my preset dial. Just my preference.

Terry

Comment

Soundboarddude,
            I checked out the weblink to Baylor and was pleased to see Dr. Joyce Jones on staff there. I have her Christmas CD and a couple of her published books. Do you know her at all? Just curious since I admire her for her Pedal Mastery book.
            Thanks........Terry

Comment

Hello Terry,
              I also have her Pedal Mastery Book as well as a few other things that she wrote... I also have a few recordings, including the dedication recital of the Ruffatti in one of the concert halls at Baylor. I actually do know Dr. Jones and have known her for many years. She's got such a fun personality- a very fun person to be around. I also happen to know all the organ students there (except for some of the freshmen...)

As for the same amount of organists to pianists... eh, I don't know... I see both sides of it. That'd be interesting to get other opinions on that...

What does everyone else think about the number of good organists compared to the number of good pianists? (while we're completely off topic anyways : D )

Comment

Where I live, the organ is a Dead instrument. We have lots of them, but not a soul besides me to play them. I would be willing to bet that for every 1 good organist, there are 10 good piano players. For the most part, they want to be known as pianists. They do not even consider the organ, worse yet, see the organ as just a big ol' "Tocatta in Fugue" instrument.
                I had a piano player (my cousin) try out my Wurlitzer, and she did not like it. She said the keys felt "weird" and that it sounded to quick. I also noted that her feet were firmly planted on the heel-rest, darn careful not to even think of pressing any pedals or change Expression.
                What I see, pianists need a spark to see that the organ is a major improvement to the piano. Give them a chance to "tinker" with stops and pedals, and their technique will change over time.

I learned straight on the organ since age 3. In fact, I never even touched a piano until I was about 13. Back when we actually Had an organ teacher in the area. Even more, we actually had a 3/16 pipe organ to practice on. That all changed, I never even knew that it was removed, nor where it is now.

So in reality, it seems safe to say that the organ, whatever style, is on a downhill plunge. But thats my humble opinion.

Comment

In this area, it seems like people are still in awe of the organ. Most of the churches around here that have organs, use them regularly. When we had a free organ concert up at the Meyerson Symphony Center, 2500 people showed up, it was PACKED.

Comment

LWL: are you talking about the Pipe Dreams concert?

Comment

Yes I am. Were you there? It was fabulous, I thought. And I sat all the way up in the very top row, so all the pipes were aimed right in my face.

Comment

I was actually there as well, in the orchestral seating, on about the 8th row. I had gotten there right after the AGO chapter dinner/metting at FUMC just down the road. When I got there, the choral seating (which is where I had wanted to sit) wasn't opened yet, but so many people came they had to open it!

I thought it was funny how I had been eating right next to Michael Barone (or whatever that guy's name is) and didn't realize he was the host of the program!

And I was very happy that I got to meet Mary Preston after the concert. And I got to see Dr. Jones (she had come to see Bradley Welch) and she introduced me to him.

Very neat indeed!

Comment

I wasnt at the dinner meeting, but I know Diane was there. Oh gosh, next time I am at an AGO thing, Ima gonna have to see if I can spot you, of course, I have no clue what you look like, but, I could still try. I LOVED LOVED LOVED the Bach Toccata in F. And I REALLY LOVED LOVED LOVED the "Stars and Stripes Forever" closing.

Comment

Working...
                          X