X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buzzyreed
    replied
    Re: Musical Misprints

When we toured Eurpoe with our college choir, a lot of us spoke German, French, Swedish, but no one spoke Finnish. So the giant concert promtion posters of concert tour which was suppose to say, "The World Famous ***** College Choir presents works of Palestrina, Bach, Mendelsohn, and Part" said, "The World Famous ***** College Choir-- All illegitimate Children of Palestrina, Bach, Mendelsohn, and Part."

Our "World Famous" conductor was not ammused. Neither was a pastor I worked for years ago when I told him.

Leave a comment:

• mikecala
    replied

One of my favorites that always appears in church bulletin typo funnies "On Sunday afternoon at 4:00 p.m. there will be a peter pull at St. Taffy's".
    Then there was a prospective bride that I consulted with for her wedding music who asked that the "Taco Bell Canon" be played during Communion. I took all the courage I could muster not to laugh in her face. All I said was "I believe that you meant the Pachelbel Canon".
    Mike

Leave a comment:

• organnewcomer
    replied

Hahaha!! You guys have me about ready to burst out loud laughing here at work. Prayer and medication...Hahaha...

Leave a comment:

• Allan
    replied

How about this actual typo in a church bulletin:

"Tonight's sermon will be followed by prayer and medication."

Leave a comment:

• andyg
    replied

How about Lloyd Webber's 'Tell me on a sundae' - very messy!
    Or perhaps the 'Wido Staccato'!

Incidentally, I got one of my students to restyle the main theme from Phantom in the manner of JSB. He did a good job, it won him a nationwide competition. That's no doubt where the confusion stems from. LOL

Andy

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Oh yes, the Bach/Phantom misinterpretation is very bad where I live.

I once read in the newspaper a honky-tonk piano concert, featuring great hits like "The 12th street Rug".
    Oh and my favorite! Widor and "Fudge". Obviously, not a musician typing out that flyer.

Leave a comment:

• Hammond101
    replied

Andy,

I once, many years ago had an Aunt (by marriage) miss-spell my occupation in a letter to another relative. She wrote, "Her new husband manages a whorehouse and plays in a band" she continued "it's a big company and the benifits are terrific" It was a warehouse!

I should be so freakin' lucky! Gives new meaning to the term "being laid off", which I eventually was!

This was the topic of discussion and brought down the house at family gatherings for some time. I have a ton of song titles for the group but this would have to be moved to the blower room!

Best,

Rich

Leave a comment:

• organnewcomer
    replied

How about those who confuse Bach with Phantom of the Opera? Someone just asked me Sunday about this one and I tried to clarify it, but got a blank look in the eyes. Hahaha.....

Leave a comment:

• harpsiguy
    replied

I have always been somewhat partial to Pachelbel's "Cannon in D." Tchaikovsky's famous "1812 Overture" ends with a cannon, but I believe it's a different caliber. ;-)

Jerry

Leave a comment:

• andyg
    started a topic Musical Misprints

Musical Misprints

Time for one of those 'have a bit of fun' threads.

Dunno why, maybe it's because I'm a writer, but I do tend to notice typos and other oddities. I'm not alone - one of our UK music teaching mags regularly prints those spotted by its readers. For example, there was recently a concert billing for a prominent UK string quartet, listing all four players and their instruments, that somehow featured a flautist.

I prefer to spot title misprints, so here are a couple.

Bert Kaempfert's hit for Old Blue Eyes, "Stranglers in the Night" now sounds more dangerous than before, while 'Laughter on 10th Avenue" doesn't have the same ring to it.

Anyone spotted something similar, or care to make some up?

Andy G
Working...
X