Clear All

• Menschenstimme
    replied
    Many thanks, Don!!

Leave a comment:

• don60
    replied
    Originally posted by sfp1954 View Post
    So if if you thermally cycle your printer off and on I think you can almost guarantee you are going to warp the plastic in the cartridge eventually.
    Thermally cycling electronics through frequent power-up/power-down cycles is generally not the best. But the wildcard here is that laser printers contain a heater (the "fuser") that is designed to run at high temperatures. The fuser is kept at the proper temperature through on-off cycling based on feedback from a thermistor. So a laser printer left on constantly is 1) undergoing thermal cycling of the hottest component in it, and 2) generating a great deal of heat internally that is dissipated through a heat sink and/or cooling fan. For very infrequent printing, the best practice for laser printer care is probably to turn it off after each use.

I spent several years working on the HP LaserJet series from III through 6 and can say that one of the most frequent failures was either the fuser heater itself or a mechanical part nearby that was ruined by the heat. In my own labs these days, I always turn off the laser printers after use and have had no mechanical or electronic failures. Additionally, toner cartridges last to what appears to be their design life (page count), with occasional problems involving streaking on the paper and the like. These artifacts are due to toner clumping in the cartridges or to dirty components in the paper path. Clumping toner can indeed be caused by high humidity and cool ambient conditions, but the best solution is to condition the space properly and possibly keep the cartridge sealed in a bag, not to run the printer 24/7 to cook out the humidity. Often simply rocking or tapping the cartridge will unclump and redistribute the toner and obtain much additional life out of the cartridge.

As for a dirty paper path, running several sheets of paper through the printer will usually clean the mechanism. If not, professional cleaning may be needed or a cartridge change may be called for. (Cartridges usually contain brushes that wipe the image drum clean; if the brushes wear out, loose toner can invade the rest of the printer.

These are just some thoughts from a sweatshop veteran.

Don

Leave a comment:

• sfp1954
    replied
    The worst thing for any piece of electronics is being turned on and off.
    The environment not withstanding electronics are designed to be turned on and left on until they die.
    Why? Well ever notice how light bulbs seem to always blow out when being turned on? This demonstrates both issues.
    When you turn something on electricity comes rushing in/through charging up capacitors... Like a flash flood. That's stressful.
    When you power things up they heat up and expand, switch them off they cool down and contract. That's stressful.

So if if you thermally cycle your printer off and on I think you can almost guarantee you are going to warp the plastic in the cartridge eventually.

Leave a comment:

• Menschenstimme
    replied
    I have used both genuine HP and also private-label cartridges with no difference in the aging problem.
    I normally turn the printer on, print a few pages, and then turn the printer off and not use the printer again for several days.
    Your 6MP cartridge may be a more durable design.
    Your 5s at Brown University may use up their toner before the cartridge starts getting old chronologically.
    I will indeed try the plastic bag.
    Thanks again for everything!

Leave a comment:

• sfp1954
    replied
    Are you using genuine HP or remanufactured/refilled cartridges?
    I have a 6MP, a 2200 and used many 5s at Brown University.
    My general experience with refilled/reused cartridges is that the heat of the printer eventually causes the plastic to warp leading to toner leakage.
    So removing and bagging the cartridge or at least leaving the printer off when not in use might produce better results for you.

I've had the same cartridge in my 6MP for about 4 years without any issues.

Leave a comment:

• Menschenstimme
    replied
    Thank you, sfp!

I have tried shaking the cartridge. I have also tired cleaning the drum. However, apparently, once it has gotten dirty, it will print one clean copy after cleaning and then be dirty again. It is almost as if the aging cartridge starts leaking toner.

Leave a comment:

• sfp1954
    replied
    The cartridge should be taken out and shaken every once and a while to evenly distribute the toner inside the cartridge.
    If toner is getting clumpy perhaps a dehumidifier and or AC would be wise.

Dirty copies are can also be due to the fuser wheel getting excess toner on it.

Leave a comment:

• Menschenstimme
    started a topic HP Laserjet 5 Printer

HP Laserjet 5 Printer

I love my "old" HP Laserjet 5 printer. I print less than one page per day. The toner cartridges are designed to print 6800 pages. The toner cartridge starts printing dirty copies after only a few years due to age. Might it help to remove the toner cartridge from the printer and store it in a ziplock bag between uses?
Working...
X