This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hello...

Alright- Today, we visited Boston Organ and Piano in Burlington, MA. and I tried out the Johannus Opus 20 digital organ. I was actually surprised that the sound quality was very nice, and very clear/clean. The keyboards had a tracker action simulation...and full organ with the expression pedals open was breathtaking. I also saw the American Classic-v organ, which I was not too impressed by. The drawstops seemed cheap and plasticy, and did not come out all the way...but just retracted back in and lit up. Whats the point?

Any way, the organist there offered us a very good deal on an Opus 20 (with pipes that go on top of it) because a Boston Organ/Piano store recently closed, and they are trying to sell the organs.

Does anybody have a Johannus organ? I'd like some other opinions on theses organs.

Thanks.

How do I post images?

Comment

[image]images website adress[/image]
      Replace the "[ ]" with "< >" and dont forget the / in the last set of brackets.

As for Johannus, the ones I've played were fit for any Royalty to lay their hands on. You seem to be very bright and knowledgeable about what you want in an instrument. Very good qualities, indeed. You are going to grow up to be a very fine organist.
      In my opinion, an organ doesn't have to look fancy to make beautiful music. Just look at a Hammond B3, what's better about a "casket on four legs" than a C3? Nothing. You may dislike some cosmetic and mechanical functions, but what is it you are looking for, really? The playing action and Sound Quality are far more important than whether the draw-stops stay in or light up. You can probably get a far better deal, and a much more mechanically safe organ if you remove all the flashing bells and whistles. For the most part, they don't build organs like they used to, just look at Hammond and Wurlitzer. My Wurlitzer ES Reed organ will keep trucking on forever given a new tube and a Cap change. And a Hammond can survive nearly anything you spill into the keys.

I'm not quite ready myself to get into the new fads of organs, as much as they have come along, its not quite far enough for me.
      -Just a nickels worth of free advise.

Comment

Ah thank you. I wasn't looking at the drawstop organs to actually get for practice, just to look at!

Isn't the B3 a drawbar organ? I don't really understand how they work. You are right, I'm sure there are older organs that sound just as good as the Johannus.

Here are the images by the way:

Comment

Hi. I'm 13 too and I've been playing the organ for five years. I regularly play at my church both at weddings and other services.

Comment

Hey cool! Somebody else my age. I play parts of masses, and hope to become an organist full-time at a church soon.

Comment

I am AMAZED that there are so many young organists out there. I have two students who are organists and who started when they were in about 5th grade. Wow. The only way to study organ when I was a kid was to wait until your sophomore year in college. You guys have a big head start, Congrats!

Comment

Thanks. Actually, it was by luck that I started organ. I've played the piano since I was five, and each year at our school, the person who excels in piano is chosen to learn the organ (if they want). So, that person happened to be me. I learned basic organ skills, went to the Young Organists Initiative, joined the AGO and here I am. Two and a half years ago I didn't know anything about the organ.

Comment

Johannus is one of my favorite organ companies of all time actually. Although Allen and Rodgers are probably more common in the US, Johannus has become my favorite after I played a good variety of these intruments, and have installed and voiced a few of them personally as well.

The Opus series are actually of the poorest quality. They're the cheapest, for homes and chapels, not really anything more. The recordings are not as high quality. However, I have installed an Opus 5, and even THAT sounds just wonderful! I also installed a Sweelinck (the next highest model) 10 at a lutheran church nearby, and my, it sounds even better!

I'm still not sure what the point of lit anything on an organ... other than the "on" indicator of course. I've been told that it makes the congregation happy... but seriously, I think they're ugly and annoying.

Oh well.

Did you end up buying the organ?

Comment

Hey new guys, here is a web page that gives some info on the Hammond B3 organ.

http://theatreorgans.com/grounds/docs/history.html

I thought this was pretty interesting and well written. Most of the facts in this artical are common to all tonewheel. At least the theroy of opperation and general sound characteristics are the same.

Best,

Rich

Comment

The Opus five does not have a full pedalboard, which is the major downside of that model. The Opus 20, however, I thought sounded really good. We're actually moving to another part of Massachusetts, so Boston Organ is going to put the organ on hold for us until we move.

Soundboarddude, do you think Johannus' are wonderful or annoying? lol.

Hammond101, TheatreOrgans.com is not working.

Comment

You know, I didn't even notice that. Oh well, I wasn't on the console most of the time anyways! I was too busy plugging things in, moving speakers, etc.

I think Johannus' are wonderful. EXCEPT for the lighted stops. Some day I'll get a Johannus for my living room and have it custom done with some pipes (or at least a nice pipe facade), draw knobs, and NO lights!

Theatreorgans.com seems to be working fine on my computer. Try it again

Comment

"I'm still not sure what the point of lit anything on an organ... other than the "on" indicator of course. I've been told that it makes the congregation happy... but seriously, I think they're ugly and annoying. "

HUH??
                          I dont' know what you are saying, but I thiknk it's about lighted stops? I wish it were a law that the pistons had to light up when they were activated. I completly blew one of the two services today on a strange organ I was playing beucase I couldnt' tell what piston I was using. Becuase it was a new church and there was so much other stuff going on, I like to keep track of...

well.. dont' make fun of me, I have no short term memory.. I like to keep track of which stanza I'm playing by the piston I'm on. Otherwise, like to day, I end up palying an extra stanza or use the wrong resgiration for the wrong stanza that doesnt' fit the text. Hell , today I was lucky if I played int he correct key most of the time.

what were we talkinng about..

Oh yea, I like the sound of the Johnus organs, but JESUS are they ugly. I also love the sound of Cavaile colle organs but wow, they have got to be the ugliest thing on the planet next to Lady Bird Johnson.

Comment

LOL should I break it down for you buzzy?

I'm still not sure what the point of lit anything on an organ... [Lighted Stops/Pistons]

other than the "on" indicator of course. [self explanitory]

I've been told that it makes the congregation happy... [An organist at a local church told me that the lighted stops impress the congregation]

but seriously, I think they're ugly and annoying. [the lighted stops/pistons]

Lighted pistons I could go either way, but stops, I like them to just push and just stay down! Not pop back up and light up.

ANYWAYS back to Johannus organs...

Comment

Yes! Thats what I was saying before: The drawstops do not even stay out. You pull it, it springs back in and lights up. It is annoying, and it doesn't feel like a pipe organ.

But the Opus models have tabs, which are nice.

"Oh yea, I like the sound of the Johnus organs, but JESUS are they ugly."
                              How, exactly? I don't think they look much different than the Allen Proteges.

Any way, we are moving some time in the next couple of weeks. I'm leaving my school this Friday. Very exciting!

Comment

I see Buzzy has had his usual caffiene fix.

personal taste on what any organ looks like, is exactly that.. personal. Some people love drawknobs, others prefer stoptabs for ease of use etc.

As to lighted drawknobs? I personally don't care for them. But I agree that Buzzy's suggestion of a indicator light or something would be most helpful on which ..which would hold the same for piston's that would also light up..which would seem to me to be useful.

Question: I've never played a stoptab organ with pistons, would a piston being depressed also throw the stoptab down into the "on" position? On my old Rodgers 550 the drawknobs pop out when they are selected via piston.

Just curious if the stoptabs also can automatically be flipped so you know what is playing.

Comment

Working...
                                X