This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hello...

The stoptabs on the Johannus models are not moving, they light up when they are pressed. The pistons cause them to light up. So I guess they aren't stop tabs. Hmm....

Comment

Hi NYC, yes, there are a lot of organs with stoptabs that move when pistons are pressed. Just about all recent digital theatre organs do that, plus manu classical organs too.

Cost has something to do with all this lighting up business. It's simply more expensive to install the actuators (I guess that's a good word for them) to physically move the tabs or drawknobs to their on or off position than it is to simply have spring loaded switches that light up when on.

The vast majority of us will prefer to have things that work in a traditional manner, but ask yourself this though. If the organ were being invented today, with the technology available, would the designers really opt for something with lots of moving parts that could go wrong, or something where things just lit up when pressed?

I remember the Gulbransen Equinox series from the early 80's. Black lexan 'control panel' with no tabs or switches, just marked out rectangles and squares with LED's that lit up when the 'tab' was active. It got much the same reaction back then!

Andy G
      It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
      Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
      Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
      Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

WOW! GREAT! AND INDEED WELCOME TO THE ORGAN FORUM! A 13 year-old organist!
        I love it! Clarence i admire your interest in the organ and its music. At 13 and with serious
        study you will become a fine oeganist. I do wish that more young people would take up
        the profession, as we can use good organist throughout the country.
        One day go for it! Build yourself that Pipe Organ, and you will feel an accompleshment
        like no other. I for one do not want to see organist becoming a dying breed, and they wont
        if we can have more like YOU!

Diapason

Comment

yep.. im 15, played the keyboard, just for MIDI programming for 2 years and Im just getting into the organ.. I own a Baldwin Orgasonic 56R organ, it has some issues so I use my Yamaha S03 for most of my playing.

Comment

Cool. Thanks, diapson! Yeah, playing the organ makes me feel special , just becuase piano is so common...and so few young people play the organ. lol. If I'm explaining the organ to someone in my family, they're like "ohhh!! So it's an piano with two keyboards!"

Shame, shame .

Comment

Hello...

The organ came today from Burlington, and it is now in place in our living room. Yay!

Comment

Fake facade pipes

*shudder*

Other than that, it looks very nice indeed.

Comment

Fake...facade? Is there such thing? Facades are fake. There are no pipes behind it, but there are speakers. The pipes hide the speakers.

Comment

...as opposed to a facade with speaking pipes, err, "real" facade...

Comment

Ohh, I thought "facade" meant a fake or artificial cover. Sorry You don't like facades? Just curious.

Comment

Welcome to the organ forum. My son is 11 and he has been playing the organ for 1 year now. Me, I don't play anything keyboard unfortunatly, played the cornett and french horn, and a little guitar. He has been playing the piano for 4 years.

Comment

That is rrrrrrreally cool that you have a son that plays organ. I wonder if he's availble to sub yet

Do they make 'itty, bitty' organmaster shoes? Do they make them with Buzz Light Year on them? With those flashing red lights?

Maybe there' s a market I could exploit!!

Comment

Well, I like facades that at least look real. There was a link somewhere on ebay to an Allen organ, and the owner had glued wood pipes onto the speakers... yuck!

Sorry buzzy, but I don't think there are enough 7 year old organists to be able to make any money off it!

However, I'll take some flashing red lights on my shoes!

Comment

I hear that Diane Bish had those red flashy lights on her shoes as a child.

Can you tell I've been wrapping all night long? I almost spelled shoes with a 'u.'

Comment

Soundboarddude... I just came across your post from 10-30-2005 about wanting to have a Johannus and pipes. I have a Johannus digital 3-manual that also controls a mid-century Kilgen pipe organ. If you get into your "project," I would be happy to let you know how my two instruments "came together." I have been very happy, as the end results have really exceeded my expectations.

Comment

Working...
                                X