This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just to say Hi

Been lurking on the forum for a while now. Thought it about time I joined. Just a bit of background. I am a novice organist who will not see 65 again. Started piano lessons a couple of years ago and then dropped out again for a while. I continued to practice at home and on our church's piano. One morning the church's piano had a sticky key. Not wanting to mess with it I let the powers that be know, but decided to switch on the old Baldwin organ that none of our regular musicians ever want to play. It sat there just gathering dust. It is an old organ probably at least thirty years or more old but I was hooked. I have always loved the music of the baroque period and have collected a stack of organ LPs and CDs over the years.

I decided to seek out an organ teacher and found a guy in town who is music director for his church. He has proved to be an excellent teacher and I look forward to my lesson each week on a Schantz two manual pipe organ at his church. I love that organ.

I am currently looking for a good used electronic organ for home practice preferably an Allen (No offense meant to those of a Rodgers persuasion.) I just like the sounds of the Allens I have listened to so far. Our church is half an hours drive each way that is an hour I could be practicing in stead of driving.

Chose the login name Dogstar, not because I am any kind of star but maybe my Beagle thinks so.

Look forward to posting more in the days ahead most likely in this forum.

Dave
    Allen ADC 1000
    Large Beagle

Ooops! First goof. Posted in the wrong forum. Sorry about that. Thanks for moving the post, admin'.

Will try not to re-offend.
    Allen ADC 1000
    Large Beagle

Comment

Dave,

Welcome to the Forum! I hope you find your time here more rewarding than work.

If you could provide a general location, we may be able to help you find an older Allen. How old is too old for you, and what price range meets your needs? I hope we can help.

Michael
      Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
      • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
      • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
      • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 6 Pianos

Comment

Hi Michael

Thanks for the welcome.

I am about 60 miles from Atlanta Ga.

Age of an Allen - probably 20 years max. Newer the better. Hoping to remain below $5000.

Actually looked at a Rodgers C505 the other day. Dated around 1990. Biggest probelm from my perspective was that the organ console seemed very large and it also used two large external speakers. Seller wanted $8000, which I thought was maybe a bit high for this instrument.

Opinions welcome.

Dave
        Allen ADC 1000
        Large Beagle

Comment

Originally posted by Dogstar View Post
          I am about 60 miles from Atlanta Ga.
          Dave,

Just drove through there last week. How far are you willing to travel? I've seen a couple in Charlotte, NC area, and some in FL. I'll keep an eye out in my searches on eBay, CraigsList, and other sources and keep you posted. Check for a PM too.

Michael
          Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
          • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
          • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
          • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 6 Pianos

Comment

Dave,

Welcome to the organ world. I am an aged person also who is taking organ lessons. I am lucky that I only have to go as far as the living room to practice on my home pipe organ.
            Allan

My home organ
            Style D Wurlitzer pipe organ
            http://bluemoonwalkinghorses.com/Sty...tion5_rev3.htm
            Five Newfoundland dogs
            Sixteen Tennessee walking horseshoes

Comment

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Got myself an Allen ADC 1000 several weeks ago and have been really pouring on the practice. Really enjoying this organ.

The brain/finger connection seems a bit shaky in this old guy not to mention the feet. Might keep the Alzheimers away for a year or two longer.

Dave
              Allen ADC 1000
              Large Beagle

Comment

Originally posted by Dogstar View Post
                Chose the login name Dogstar, not because I am any kind of star but maybe my Beagle thinks so.

Dave
                Are you Sirius?!

David (in Dallas, Texas)

Comment

Originally posted by davidecasteel View Post
                  Are you Sirius?!

David (in Dallas, Texas)
                  You are priceless, David! LOL!!

Comment

Thanks, MS! It's so nice to be recognized in one's own lifetime! (I was wondering if anyone would catch on--shouldn't have worried.)

David

Comment

Dogstar, I hope you realized I was making a pun and a joke! You've not made another post so I hope you didn't get mad and quit on us--that was certainly not my intention.

David

Comment

No, no offense taken at all, David. Been in this old world long enough to learn not to take myself too seriously. No intention of quitting on ya'll. Mostly been real busy and putting in quite a lot of hours of practice. Currently working on "Jesu' Joy of Man's Desiring" and "Sheep may safely graze," Among hymns and some simpler stuff. Only regret is that I didn't start the organ years ago.

Other thing was that I couldn't think of some smart retort to make
                        Allen ADC 1000
                        Large Beagle

Comment

Working...
                        X