X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• circa1949
    replied
    Havoc, that's true to some degree. And kids who grow up with dogs around tend to have less immune system hyperactivity problems. But you do need the really bad bacteria dead, or not in your food at all, or you can become infected with something like E. coli 0157 that can kill you.

Leave a comment:

• Havoc
    replied
    Some people seem to think that everything need to be sterile... Then they are surprised they don't have any resistance.

Leave a comment:

• Menschenstimme
    replied
    Originally posted by circa1949 View Post
    Unfortunately, they might also agree with the boiling water hypothesis.

Not sure what you mean here. Their job is to protect you from getting sick, not from weak coffee.

I would have to say that they are not breaking any laws by being cheap.

Exactly!
    You are all correct. I am merely hoping for an interpretation of the health codes which would make it necessary to grind the coffee ONLY immediately before brewing so that it does not sit and collect dust, bugs, etc., (and lose flavor). Why don't I just contact the local Health Department office and ask them directly? Because it is just so much fun contacting "the government" for any reason (especially with staffing issues caused by budget cuts, etc. SIGH!

And all I want is a decent cup of coffee! DOUBLE SIGH!!

Leave a comment:

• circa1949
    replied
    Unfortunately, they might also agree with the boiling water hypothesis.

Not sure what you mean here. Their job is to protect you from getting sick, not from weak coffee.

I would have to say that they are not breaking any laws by being cheap.

Exactly!

Leave a comment:

• wagonman76
    replied
    I would have to say that they are not breaking any laws by being cheap. As long as people keep buying their coffee, they will keep on making it that way and saving a buck. The only way they might change is if enough people actually take their coffee business elsewhere.

All this talk about restaurant coffee makes me think of the Chris Farley SNL coffee sketch. LOL

Leave a comment:

• Menschenstimme
    replied
    The reason that I am NOT kidding has nothing to do with germs or other health issues. When the ground coffee sits out in the open, even for only a few hours, it loses flavor. I have discussed this with the manager and she apparently does not know how to handle her one employee who is doing this. The Health Department certainly will never put a stop to it if I complain to them that the coffee does not taste rich enough. They would only be interested in an actual health issue. Unfortunately, they might also agree with the boiling water hypothesis.

Side note regarding a DIFFERENT restaurant: This one is spotlessly clean and obeys all the rules, etc. But their coffee is so notoriously weak that I simply bring along little packets of Taster's Choice and add one to each cup. What is amusing about this is that they refuse to admit that their coffee is weaker than average (much weaker). I assume that this is a profit-margin issue. It is so very weak that one day a feeble little old lady shouted across the restaurant in the loudest voice she could muster: "This coffee has NO flavor!" (LOL!!) That was a few years back and nobody listened to her. (SIGH!)

Leave a comment:

• wagonman76
    replied
    Probably no worse than food sitting out at a salad bar for several hours with the general public sticking their paws into it. At least with the coffee they have a chance of it staying cleaner. Also probably no different than how Subway has all their sandwich ingredients sitting out all day. Probably the same behind the scenes in any place that makes sandwiches.

My daughter and I were just talking about stuff like that when we went to the U.P. last Saturday. The times we went to several different restaurants, one was a large local pizza chain, that were just teeming with flies everywhere like something died in there. They call it the wilderness. I call it get my dinner south of the Bridge.

Leave a comment:

• circa1949
    replied
    You are kidding, right? You do realize it's boiling water that pours through coffee beans to make the vile stuff, in a typical coffee machine? Anything from a sneeze would be deactivated at temperatures even 30F lower if done some other way like a french press. I've seen far, far more disgusting practices that are fully approved by health codes. At a deli in DC, I saw a counter top be wiped with a washcloth, then that cloth used to wipe the knife used to cut the sandwiches. I blanched in horror and said "are you supposed to do that", and the middle-eastern owner irately said "yez, iz zoaked in antibacterial!". Apparently health departments assume no bug is going to develop resistance to quaternary ammonium compounds, or that they aren't going to give me indigestion when they end up in my food. I was so hungry at ate the darn sandwich. Really, if most people saw what goes on in restaurant kitchens, they would never want to eat food prepared in one. Even some people have appalling habits in the kitchen: I once saw a woman clean the bottom of her sink with a green plastic scouring pad, then use it to clean raw meat off a knife, then use that knife to cut her salad greens! Digusting! Needless to say I skipped the salad at that dinner party! Apparently some people think hot tap water (not nearly hot enough for coffee) magically sterilizes anything.

Leave a comment:

• Menschenstimme
    replied
    You are correct about location; which is why I said "Generally speaking." The one in question is in Los Angeles County. My thoughts are that this is a health risk because insects, hair, even a sneeze might get into the coffee.

Leave a comment:

• Jan Girardot
    replied
    I guess that would depend on where the beanery is located. Most coffee vendors supply good instructions with their brewing equipment, but it's up to restaurant staff to follow the instructions.

Speaking of restaurant coffee, I had an excellent cuppa yesterday at the Redstone Inn in Colorado: kept me awake to 1:00 am!

. . . Jan
    the OrganGrinder (who grinds his own beans)

Leave a comment:

• Menschenstimme
    started a topic Restaurant Health Regulations (USA)

Restaurant Health Regulations (USA)

Generally speaking, is it compliant with Health Department regulations for a restaurant to grind coffee beans into a filter and then allow the filter to sit on the counter for several hours (or more) before actually using it?

(Of course, the coffee is suppose to be brewed immediately after being ground in order to preseve the flavor.)
Working...
X