X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tdawg
    replied
    Very cool Larry, Thanks for posting that. I hope to acquire a console organ someday... Now I'm kicking myself for not taking my In-laws minivan they were trying to get rid of last year

Leave a comment:

• wagonman76
    replied
    Yes it looks like your minivan is a good setup. My Pontiac Trans Sport minivan is only 39" between the wheelwells and about 39" high at the tailgate. Slightly higher at the side door and that's how I had to get my T-422 in it.

Leave a comment:

• Larrytow
    replied
    Yeah, you need to pick the right van; not all minivans are 48" wide between wheel wells. Most all of the variations ( Chry., Plym. ) of the Dodge Grand Caravan, but not the shorter Caravan, will fit a 4' X 8' sheet of plywood on the floor with all the rear seats out. Not sure about all the other makes, but I did at one time have a Ford Windstar that was that way too. Most all home organ consoles are no higher than 40" or so usually.

Actually, the rollers are just lengths of 2" PVC pipe. They are not attached to anything; they just roll free as needed. And you only need two of them. I cut them to about 45" long so that they will fit between the wheel wheels easily, but still long enough to not get way crooked when doing the roll part of the operation. The carpeted platform is only 36" or so wide, so that you can see the rollers under it from the sides to keep them straight as you roll, if needed.

Part of the idea for this set up came from knowing how flat bed tow trucks are designed. The other influence was how hearses work, to roll coffins in and out. But unlike either of those, none of this is attached to the van, so I can remove it all, and then can haul other stuff the rest of the time.

The 4 'X 8' x 3/16th" sheet of plywood always stays in the van though, to cover the carpet and seat connectors, so other stuff ( vehicle parts, shop machinery, tools, etc ) slides in and out nice. When that gets too busticated or dirty, it's only $9 per sheet to replace it.

Leave a comment:

• OrgansR4Me
    replied
    Thanks -- recently help a man pick up my parted 950 console and his van had wheel wells inside so we had to tip to cabinet 45 degrees. I can see it is important to pick the right van as you got a perfect fit with yours. Have you made some type of side mounts where the rollers are attached? The carpet on the plank is a nice touch for both better grip and protection from scratching.

Leave a comment:

• Larrytow
    started a topic How To Move Console Organs In A Minivan

How To Move Console Organs In A Minivan

Hi everyone,

A month or so ago I made reference in a post, to my technique / method / equipment / etc. for moving reasonably large ( but not 3 manual church organs ) console organs with a minivan. Some members expressed interest in how exactly I go about that. I feel I have a pretty good system worked out, so I thought I would share it with all my fellow organists that are afflicted with OAS ( Organ Acquisition Syndrome ) !

This method has been working well for me, but enhancements and improvements are always being considered. Ideas from you all are welcome as well, to make it even better. I spent a long portion of my professional life owning a towing and recovery business, so making heavy awkward objects move without damage, as I want them to, comes pretty natural to me. Organs certainly qualify for awkward, if not always real heavy.

Now that I know better about the in's and out's of using the Gallery ( thanks Admin ! ) to put things in order and so on, I uploaded an album with captions showing the process with my latest OAS organ. Some things are better described with a photo essay than a long typed out text.

This should be the direct link to that album in my Gallery :

http://www.organforum.com/gallery/th....php?album=218

Hope this helps.
Working...
X