This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refrigerator Moisture

My older General Electric Monogram refrigerator is in almost-new condition, but has started to form condensation along the bottom of the freezer door, thus dripping water on to the floor. While this is minimal, it is a problem. Yes, the door heaters are kept on at all times - the dripping is worse with them off. The door gaskets look like new. However, it is possible that some loss of flexibility and softness in the gaskets over the years is allowing cold air to seep out, thus causing atmospheric moisture to condense just below the door? Perhaps most refrigerators do not last long enough for this to become a problem? Thank you!

Originally posted by Menschenstimme View Post
    My older General Electric Monogram refrigerator is in almost-new condition, but has started to form condensation along the bottom of the freezer door, thus dripping water on to the floor. While this is minimal, it is a problem. Yes, the door heaters are kept on at all times - the dripping is worse with them off. The door gaskets look like new. However, it is possible that some loss of flexibility and softness in the gaskets over the years is allowing cold air to seep out, thus causing atmospheric moisture to condense just below the door? Perhaps most refrigerators do not last long enough for this to become a problem? Thank you!
    Yes, it sounds like leaky door gaskets. Try the dollar bill test - close the door on a dollar bill at various places along the gasket, with the end hanging out, and see if it is easy to pull free, if it is then the gaskets are shot.
    Jerry in Leslie, spinning around trying to find my way

1990 Korg M1 - moved on to a new life
    1981 Lowrey MX-1 - giant box of bad connections
    1975 Lowrey TGS - gathering dust
    1973 Hammond T-524C w/mods - fun machine!
    1972 Hammond XTP - moved on
    1971 Gulbransen Premiere PR (1154) - awesome sound!
    1965 Hammond E-133 w/mods - her name is Emmanuele, and we are in love

Comment

I recently replaced the gaskets on my back-up refrigerator, a Whirlpool Gold. You can order them on-line and they're pretty easy to change out. They're not cheap though, 60-80 dollars each. It doesn't take long to get more money wrapped up in one than it's worth when they only last 10-12 years anyway. We have a 30 plus year old Sub Zero in the kitchen that going to need a set of gaskets soon too. That one is probably going to be worth spending the money on.
      "The employment of the piano is forbidden in church, as is also that of noisy frivolous instruments such as drums, cymbals, bells and the like." St. Pius X

Comment

Thank you both! The dollar bill test says that the gaskets are okay - but my guess is marginal - or becoming marginal.

Comment

I once owned a fridge which had those symptoms, yet the seals seemed to be in good condition. It turned out that the door was not completely square on the hinges allowing a tiny gap to occur. The moisture was most evident on humid days.

Another test you could try. Dry all surfaces well then smear a thin layer of Vaseline on the trouble area. If the moisture stops, there's your proof that there's a gap.
          -------

Hammond M-102 #21000.
          Leslie 147 #F7453 in the queue.
          Hammond S-6 #72421

Comment

Thank you for your interesting suggestion!

Comment

Working...
            X