This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer - PDF issue(s)

For PDFs, on my computer I have only an older version of Adobe Acrobat Professional (6.0) with no recent updates. I find this software far beyond anything I need and cumbersome and sometimes even intrusive. It takes "forever" to open, etc. So, why not uninstall it and use a new version of Adobe Acrobat Reader instead?

Because, I want to be able to SAVE my PDF income tax forms and, of course, while Reader allows you to fill out the form and print it, it does not allow you to save the completed form.

Is there an "in between" version of Adobe - or some other software - that allows you to do very simple saving of fill-out PDF forms without all of the PDF creating and manipulating power of Acrobat Professional? The simpler and more basic the better.

Thank you!

You can have both the latest version of the reader installed and your copy of the professional version.
    They can coexist peacefully.

If you were using a Mac you could use the built in application Preview.
    1969 Hammond A-105, Leslie 22H, 1961 M3
    XK3-C, VK8-M, Boss RT-20, Neo Ventilator
    Roland XP-30 (3), XV-5080 (2), Various Fatar/Studiologic Weighted Contollers (SL-1100, 1176, 880)

Comment

I use a piece of freeware called PrimoPDF, available for download at primopdf.com or cnet.com. You install it as a printer under Windows, so it is available to any program you can print from. You simply select it as your printer when you want to PDF anything, it spits out a PDF file.

Comment

Originally posted by crapwonk View Post
        I use a piece of freeware called PrimoPDF, available for download at primopdf.com or cnet.com. You install it as a printer under Windows, so it is available to any program you can print from. You simply select it as your printer when you want to PDF anything, it spits out a PDF file.
        On a Mac that function is built in. You just "Print" and then select "Save as PDF" from the print window.
        1969 Hammond A-105, Leslie 22H, 1961 M3
        XK3-C, VK8-M, Boss RT-20, Neo Ventilator
        Roland XP-30 (3), XV-5080 (2), Various Fatar/Studiologic Weighted Contollers (SL-1100, 1176, 880)

Comment

I use a piece of freeware called PrimoPDF, available for download at primopdf.com or cnet.com.
          Another vote for PrimoPDF. I've used this program for years and its always produced very good results. It works very well when you want to turn scores direct from Finale or Sibelius into PDFs (I think PDF creation is a feature in newer versions of Sibelius?). There are others such as CutePDF and PDF995 but PrimoPDF has never let me down so I've had no need to try any others.

Strangely, the paid for version of PrimoPDF, Nitro PDF doesn't work well with musical scores being all garbled up.
          1971 Allen Organ TC-3S (#42904) w/sequential capture system.
          Speakers: x1 Model 100 Gyro, x1 Model 105 & x3 Model 108.

Comment

Originally posted by Menschenstimme View Post
            Because, I want to be able to SAVE my PDF income tax forms and, of course, while Reader allows you to fill out the form and print it, it does not allow you to save the completed form.
            There shouldn't be a problem filling in and saving forms from Adobe Reader X.

Here's how:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/reader/X...e1eb-7ffc.html
            -Admin

Allen 965
            Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
            Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
            Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

I third the PrimoPDF recommendation, however, I've found it only allows one to print a certain number of pages (i.e. 10 or so). Microsoft's Image Printer allows you to save in their format, then export to PDF. That came with Windows XP.

That said, it sounds like you want to be able to fill in blanks in the PDF on the computer. If that's the case, you're looking for an FDF creator that is part of Adobe Acrobat Professional (older versions). Search the sites recommended (i.e. C-NET or Tucows) for an FDF creator/editor, and that would satisfy that need.

On the other hand, doesn't your tax program allow you to save your taxes as a PDF? Mine does. My taxes are often upwards of 50 pages (with worksheets), and the program allows me to export a PDF copy of the taxes.

Hope this helps.

Michael
              Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
              • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
              • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
              • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 6 Pianos

Comment

Working...
              X