This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MDS-1 or other organ for home...

Hi. New to the forums. Hope this post is not off topic and I can get some good feedback.

I played a 16 rank pipe organ at my home church when I was just a kid. Also played other pipe organs around the U.S. Was taught on a Hammond E series in the home. Life got cluttered and although I never once lost my love for pipe organ music, Bach etc I stopped playing long ago.

I have a Roland JunoII antiquated keyboard in my home. The only time I ever play is like when a loved one passes away I usually get nominated to play hymns at the funeral. As you know, an old single keyboard can not perform Bach and Purcell to any degree.

Anyway, I am much older now and want a real instrument in the home. It must be full keyboards and pedals, convincing pipe sounds and/or midi capable etc. Can't be a piece of !@#$ or high maint. I want to come out of retirement (at age 36?) and also pass the organ experience along to my two boys.

What do you guys think about the Allen MDS-1 coupled with the Expander-II ? Would that be a nice home setup for a person who wants to play everything from Bach to Eagles? How much would it be worth? I see it is a 1991 built organ and is probably limited in sound and capability. Tried doing research but couldn't find much. Your comments appreciated!

Re: MDS-1 or other organ for home...

bump

Comment

Ok. Well any way I bought the MDS-1 and have been playing it for weeks now. Came with expander II. Great practice instrument. People can hardly believe I have this huge organ in the dining room of my duplex...least of all the college girl neighbors.

Comment

I hear college girls LIKE big organs. Of course, not playing on that team I wouldn't know for sure.

OMG I supose this comment is going to be moved to the Grease Pit...

**dec grabs buzzy with a large, novelty vaudivillian hook and drags him off the stage...***

Comment

Buzz, you need a holiday...

Comment

Congrats on the organ. That's a nice instrument. What do mama and the kids think?
            You got it for them, right? Maybe you can add a rank or two later. That MO usually works.

Comment

Wife and kids are tolerating it really well. I have been practicing hours per day usually 1 to 3 sessions daily when possible. I'm currently working on Bach's Dorian in D minor. The cats seem to like it as well. Sam loves to sit beside me while I practice at night and Stone has learned not to venture inside the organ via expression pedal as I have been known to lay unpleasant surprises for him there!

Comment

Oh yes, cats LOVE Bach.

Comment

Specifically anything in G major. I've found that my one cat that likes to play on the keys and watch the pedals (he never crawls down there) responds well when things are played in G major.

odd.

Comment

Probably because the Bach Prelude in G major has a decent pedal solo! Nearly as bold as the B flat major pedal solo!

Comment

Working...
                    X