This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CD player modification

Is it theoretically possible - albeit perhaps not practical financially - to modify a beloved classic CD player to add a digital input so that it could be used as a DAC? Many classic CD players have been junked because repair parts (often the laser) are not available for their failed transports.

Please let's not address the issue of the imprudence of not simply buying a new CD player with current/superior technology.

Alternately, could a CD player with a dead transport be retrofitted with a similar transport that is still available?
    Last edited by Menschenstimme; 01-23-2013, 02:30 PM.

Second kick at the same cat!

It must be a couple years now, since I used a cd /dvd player; perhaps other than the recorder/player in my computer which I use to convert CD/DVDs to USB stick formats!!

Whether listening to music, or watching movies; everything these days is pretty much done with USB memory sticks! Even my car has a USB socket for playing MP3s; and my TV has a USB socket for playing MP3, MP4 and AVI sound and video formats! CDs and DVDs are pretty much obsolete.

I have an aging stack of blank CDs and DVDs which I will never use. Everything is now stored in playable format on hard drive or USB sticks.

Like it or not, it's time to let go of yesteryear's technology, and move into this year's world. Don't delay, 'cause it's all going to change again next year!
    2008: Phoenix III/44

Comment

You could probably find some CD experts on this on diyaudio.com, analog line level forum. To join, they let me use a fake birthdate to sign up since they are located in the UK, I'm sensitive to publishing the security information to my retirement accounts and won't participate in most social media, for example, for that reason.
      A lot of people complain about the vile sound of CD's and I'm still using a 1985 RCA CD player I purchased for $42 that doesn't bother me at all, so older CD players may be better, afterall. At some point it will need new electrolytic caps, my soldering iron is ready. Possible any transport problems are caused either by power supply sag caused by e-caps, or dirt in the lead screws, cleaning is wonderful.
      The ultra-compression record companies indulged in after 1985 is another issue, that even affected the few LP's issued after then, but Classical music recordings did not get so destroyed by the marketing department.
      Considering how vile MP3 sounds, sort of like cassette tape with less flutter but grainier, I'm a bit suspicious of digital music. There are some formats that have superior sound to the CD, but few people are distributing music in them. The whole world bought cassette Walkman's too, madness is a virus that takes decades to over come. I'm waiting. If anything replaces the CD for me, it will be the DVD or blue-ray with actual video at the same time. I'm really quite pleased with HDTV sound, allowing it has a limited signal to noise ratio.
      city Hammond H-182 organ (2 ea),A100,10-82 TC, Wurlitzer 4500, Schober Recital Organ, Steinway 40" console , Sohmer 39" pianos, Ensoniq EPS, ; country Hammond H112

Comment

Originally posted by indianajo View Post
        Considering how vile MP3 sounds, sort of like cassette tape with less flutter but grainier, I'm a bit suspicious of digital music. There are some formats that have superior sound to the CD, but few people are distributing music in them.
        Ha-a-a-ar! And coming from a guy who still hasn't clued into the fact that Hammond H-100's were initially created as instruments of torture; second only to bagpipes!! Ha-a-a-ar!

Giggle!
        <giggle!></giggle!>

Comment

Originally posted by Clarion View Post
          And coming from a guy who still hasn't clued into the fact that Hammond H-100's were initially created as instruments of torture; second only to bagpipes!! Ha-a-a-ar!
          Giggle!
          <giggle!></giggle!>
          Last week I bought a VHS tape of the Edinburgh Military Tattoo 1987. A hundred fifty bagpipes playing at once! Come in, fasten your seat belt, have a listen! Whoops, it won't come unlatched?! Let me find my tools. Maybe some day I'll find a DVD of that event I can hear with decent sound. While you're waiting, let me entertain you with some Sousa & Mancini on the H100!
          city Hammond H-182 organ (2 ea),A100,10-82 TC, Wurlitzer 4500, Schober Recital Organ, Steinway 40" console , Sohmer 39" pianos, Ensoniq EPS, ; country Hammond H112

Comment

Originally posted by indianajo View Post
            Last week I bought a VHS tape of the Edinburgh Military Tattoo 1987. A hundred fifty bagpipes playing at once! Come in, fasten your seat belt, have a listen! Whoops, it won't come unlatched?!
            I know what they sound like!! We go to the International Tattoo in Halifax, Nova Scotia on a regular basis. The most memorable performance over the years was Highland Cathedral with 250 bagpipes, six military bands, and a few hundred in the choir. Over 2000 performers! They do tend be impressive when you get enough of them together.

Comment

Will depend a lot on what's inside of it, more specifically how integrated everything is. If you have something like an I2C to the DAC then you could probably hack a digital input to it.

Putting another drive in a cd player is another problem and likely not feasible. The drive itself isn't very intelligent and needs some driving from the mainboard. Maybe better do the previous hack and use a newer drive as pure digital source.

Comment

Working...
              X