This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAMM Show in Anahiem

The 2013 NAMM (Nat'l Assoc of Music Merchants) show started yesterday (Thursday) and continues thru Sunday. You need to be a NAMM member, or have a NAMM member sponsor you to attend. The top organ companies are always there with their latest and greatest products. Good time to check them all out. I plan to be there this weekend.

Is anyone planning to attend?

www.namm.com

thanks,
    Jim
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Keeping (too many) old organs alive.
    Allen ADC 2110-T, Rodgers Trio 321B
    Conn 651, 713
    Hammond M-3 w/Leslie 120
    Hammond Solovox
    Mass-Rowe model 96 Carillon

Jepsound,

I hope you have a great time there, and find out about the new developments from all the organ Co.s. A report of what you saw would be really nice when you get back.
    Regards, Larry

At Home : Yamaha Electones : EX-42 ( X 3 !!! ), E-5AR, FX-1 ( X 2 !! ), FX-20, EL-25 ( X 2, 1 chopped, 1 not ). Allen 601D, ADC 6000D. Baldwin 626. Lowrey CH32-1. At Churches I play for : Allen Q325 ( with Vista ), Allen L123 ( with Navigator ). Rodgers 755.

Comment

Well, Larry - The show was somewhat of a disappointment. The only organ builder that showed up was Hammond. The Rodgers folks were on the exhibitor list but never showed up. I inquired at the Roland booth and they confirmed that Rodgers was not participating in this show. I find it strange as I usually see Rodgers and Johannus there, but I don't go to this show every year so maybe things have changed a bit.

The Hammond booth was interesting. I see you can now get new B3's already chopped. Maybe this is common knowledge to Hammond folks, but it was new to me.

The rest of the show was good as usual. Lots of guitars, band instruments, keyboards and all manner of accessories.

I've attached a few photos. One is of the chopped B# and the gentleman playing it really made it rip in the best of the B# style. He was all over those keyboards. The other photos are of Mr. Don Lewis who made, in 1974, the instrument you see him playing. It is a pre-MIDI combination of a Hammond organ, Analog synth, and other equipment. He, too, made this instrument sing. Very realistic instrument sounds and a tremendous pipe organ sound.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Don Lewis today.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	587182Click image for larger version

Name:	Young Don Lewis.jpg
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	587183Click image for larger version

Name:	Hammond.jpg
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	587184Click image for larger version

Name:	The Instrument.jpg
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	587185

Except for the lack of Organ vendors. it was a fun show to attend and like always, I came back with a car-full of goodies and literature.

Jim
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Conn 651, 713
      Hammond M-3 w/Leslie 120
      Hammond Solovox

Comment

Jim,

You missed one company that displayed an organ there...........Viscount.

Johannus stopped going to NAMM 3 or 4 years ago now. Allen was not there last year. Rodgers was absent this year. Certainly shows that the church/classical market is in decline.

Lowrey was supposed to be there. Don't know if they were. Roland likely had some organs there. Hammond had some stuff there.

But by and large the visibility of organs keeps going down year by year.

The problem going to NAMM is cost. It costs an absolute fortune to exhibit there, especially if one wants to be seen.

Even at the even bigger music trade show, the Frankfurt Musikmesse, organ displays have shrunk dramatically.

Just maybe.....maybe next year......things will be better. Hope springs eternal.

AV

Comment

Arie - I walked the whole show for two days and saw no sign of Viscount. Roland was there and they had some keyboards, but no organs.

Jim
          Conn 651, 713
          Hammond M-3 w/Leslie 120
          Hammond Solovox

Comment

NAMM isn't a great show for organ builders--presumably it would be a place to find new dealers, but Allen and Rodgers have established networks, and change dealerships not very often.

Comment

Jim,

I wasn't there, but a friend of mine was there. He saw a small Viscount church organ there. He said if you weren't looking for it, you wouldn't have seen it. I'm not sure what the booth would have been called, maybe Viscount, or Galileo, or North American Music.

AV

Comment

"NAMM isn't a great show for organ builders--presumably it would be a place to find new dealers, but Allen and Rodgers have established networks, and change dealerships not very often."

NAMM caters to more than just dealers. The idea is to get your products out there to the large number of music professionals attending the show and create a demand for your product. Then the dealers will have something to sell.
                Conn 651, 713
                Hammond M-3 w/Leslie 120
                Hammond Solovox

Comment

Originally posted by arie v View Post
                  Certainly shows that the church/classical market is in decline.

But by and large the visibility of organs keeps going down year by year.
                  It reminds me of 50 years ago, when I attended the CNE (Canadian National Exhibition). My primary focus was directed at the new pianos and organs of the year: got a chance to see them; and a chance to play them. But with the internet, that has all dryed up now; and with all the other features that have disappeared, the CNE no longer serves a useful purpose.

As for NAMM . . . same thing!
                  2008: Phoenix III/44

Comment

There's video on Youtube and discussion on the Lowrey Forum of their attendance at NAMM!

However, 'attendance' sometimes means at a nearby venue. I can remember Hammond UK and others taking space at plush London hotels to meet and greet existing and prospective dealers, rather than paying the high fees for floor space at London's Olympia exhibition centre. Even back in the 80's and 90's, when I last worked at these exhibitions, the costs were astronomic.

So it could well be that other companies, with existing dealer networks (and perhaps no desire to upset those dealers by adding more of them) chose to exhibit nearby by invitation only.
                    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
                    Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
                    Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
                    Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Working...
                    X