This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Organ ID from piece of picture

I'm posting this here because it could really be anything.

I was just curious if anyone knows what this one is. This is all I have, taken in 1977. Belonged to the grandma of someone I know and the organ had reluctantly been sold because of lack of room to keep it.

It's obviously a spinet and looks to have waterfall keys. Looks like a possible Leslie switch on the front corner. Hammond model M maybe?
    Attached Files
    1970 Hammond T422 (for me)
    1966 Hammond L112 (for my daughter)
    1980 Kimball M75 Temptation (parts only), 1980 Kimball M70 Temptation (parts only)
    1965 Hammond L112 (probably for parts), Magnus Chord Organ (for kicks)

Definately a Leslie switch,but the keys look to have a piano type edge, and a wooden divider between the upper and lower manuals. Hammonds are 99.9% black metal panels between the upper and lower. Just my 2 cents!
    1963 C-3 147 Leslie
    1972 X-77GT 2 - 77P Leslie
    Kurzweil K 2000

Comment

Gulbransen Pacemaker 18xx series, I think. What looks like a piano edge to the keys is more likely the thin edge of the Gulbransen's overhanging keys. The upper keyboard is also tilted, another feature of the Gulbransens. The right hand edge of the cabinet seems to match the photo I have in Blue Book. The Packemakers did have that vertical wooden section behind the keys (with the rhythm box in the centre) and you can just make out the right hand edge of what I take to be the Gulbransen logo plate. The right hand cheek block has the rotary control in that position and I think you can just make out the right hand edge of one of the black coloured leslie tabs.
      It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
      Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
      Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
      Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Surely, no self-respecting Hammond player would have put the Leslie switch on the right! Not sure about the keys, though. Could actually be waterfall and that bar of light could be a crisp reflection from the curve of the waterfall section, or it could be as Tim says a piano-style overhang.

The mahogany and the squarish arm front make me think of some Hammond consoles I've seen, but the rounded-off edge of the top lid looks more like a Baldwin. If that is dark brown grille cloth wrapped around the bottom without any wood at the edge, that deepens the mystery. Perhaps Jan the historian will chime in, or you might refer to one of the other organ groups such as the electronic organ history forum.

Too bad the photo doesn't show just a few more inches, then it would probably be obvious.

- - - Updated - - -

Andy and I were apparently posting at the same time. I defer to his greater knowledge of that era's organs. In fact, I was almost inclined to mention Gulbransen, but I haven't seen enough of them to recognize the model.
        John
        ----------
        *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

Boy it looks a lot like the Gulbransen. I am seeing that the Gulbransen had a rectangular metal tag which you can just see the tip of, and if you focus on my photo just right I am seeing 3 dark capital letter that might say EMS or EMO or something like that. I wonder what that might be.

This is the only photo I have, I don't have the original either or I'd scan it at better quality.
          1980 Kimball M75 Temptation (parts only), 1980 Kimball M70 Temptation (parts only)

Comment

There was a 'fashion', for want of a better word, in the UK of putting the speed control halfmoon at the extreme left and the MEE halfmoon at the extreme right. I have no idea why, as it was a hopeless position for either. I had to play a few Hammonds with the switches like that.
            It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
            Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
            Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
            Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Too small for my old eyes! That metal tab rail kinda looks like Magnavox or Seeburg.....

. . . Jan

Comment

I looked up a pic of the Gulbransen and she said that sure looks like it and thanks! Another mystery solved.

Comment

Working...
                X