Ebay Classic organs

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spinit organ (not just a keyboard) for junior high jazz bands.............

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spinit organ (not just a keyboard) for junior high jazz bands.............

Hello-
    What does anybody think of having a FULL SIZE organ as part of a junior high or high school jazz band. My son is a band director at a jr. high school. He grew up with organs ( my dad and myself both have them) but never wanted to play one. He has heard many organ recordings growing up and a variety of music from the 60's thru 90's with the organ as the prominent sound. He is 25, so I am hoping he will change his mind and add an organ to his school.
    Also, can anyone post a YOUTUBE video of a high school or jr. high band performing with a full size organ. Thank you,

Larry
    Naperville, Illinois

Please clarify your question. Spinet refers to a smaller organ with fewer pedals. Full size usually is referred to as a "console" model with 2 61 note keyboards and 25 to 32 pedals in an attached pedalboard. My college days were spent playing the organ in our music room -- a nice Hammond console organ. Didn't play during band sessions, but others did. We had a "stage" band and not a marching band.
    It would be exceptional for a junior high school to have a student play the organ but I've heard of some schools where the director plays organ. If you access to any PBS programming you'll see how Lawrence Welk made use of organ most of his television career and I read at one time that Fred Waring used a Lowrey organ.

If your son changes his mind he'll likely be able to find the instrument free. Many families are needing to donate a deceased family members organ and even some churches that are no longer using organs have one available. Best wishes in your quest to promote organ. That's why we are here!

Comment

Organ *and* piano together in a big band make for a big sound! It will take good knowledge on the part of the music director and the players to avoid playing too many notes. (Seriously, that will be the #1 problem)

Comment

Hello-
        I would like to see a band with any kind of 2-manual and foot pedals organ, console or spinit. Something more than just a keyboard. I have even offered to buy the organ and donate it to the school. In the western suburbs of Chicago, I have seen a number of nice organs and very cheap prices. I'm thinking that a kid in 5th-8th grade could become interested in the organ if you show them videos of rock bands from the 60's and the band director can make playing the organ sound like a "cool" thing. My son can play the organ, but he is just not that interested..........yet. He does like the sound of jazz bands from the 30's and 40's and is playing a couple of songs from that period. He also has added a class in the band program that teaches about the different kinds of music.......such as jazz, funk, classic, etc. because what 5th grader really knows what these are.
        Larry

Comment

Working...
        X