This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by indianajo View Post
    the 1941 Steinway I bought, sounds pretty good on only one note, the rest were way out of tune. I had to tune it 7 times to get it right, After that, 2 1/2 years later it needs tuning again.
    2 and a half years is quite a long time between tunings. Pianos should be tuned at least once a year, though some recommend every six months. I am not quite sure what you are getting at here. Are you slating Steinways for holding their tuning, or are you praising them for it? And how long do you expect a piano to stay in tune? Three years? Five perhaps?

Best wishes,
    Fettler

Comment

I'll take 2 1/2 years of stable tune over 2 months anyday. The Steinway was worth the $1000 even if it doesn't sound much different than the 1982 Sohmer when both are in tune. What is super excellent, I heat my house to 60 deg and air condition it to 80, so the piano did not have showroom conditions to maintain its state of repair.
      Piano forums are full of legends promulgated by piano tuners to maintain the mystery and superiority of the craft. I've gotten much better advice here. I don't propose the Steinway was recording ready at 2 years, but then nobody is going to record a Steinway console, anyway. Just it is now a bit annoying, time to get to tuning it if I didn't have frozen pipes to repair.
      city Hammond H-182 organ (2 ea),A100,10-82 TC, Wurlitzer 4500, Schober Recital Organ, Steinway 40" console , Sohmer 39" pianos, Ensoniq EPS, ; country Hammond H112

Comment

Depends on the environment and the use of the piano. If it is a conditioned room and regulary played (but not a couple of hours Tchaikovsky at ffff) by someone with not perfect picht it can hold a couple of years. If on the other hand you practise for concert level and have central heating part of the year you'll need 2x a year tuning. During compertitions the piano is tuned several times an evening.

Comment

Some Rodgers dealers, like Daffer, have always had a page for used organs. It used to be incredibly rare to see Allen dealers listing used organs, and if one was listed, it was an ancient MOS model for a ridiculous price. We have already discussed the ADC-8350 sold by Grafton in PA. (BTW I think the place in Texas that used to list a lot of Allens was never an official dealer.) Now comes this:

http://www.heritagechurchorgan.com/used-organs.html

I've said a copy of this page just in case - we've seen before that changes can occur due to publicity. (some of you may not know, but a web server can see where traffic is coming from)
          I find several things interesting. Mainly, that several newish and big organs are being sold...that would compete with brand new ones. Especially a newish custom Rodgers, which, quite frankly, advertises the fact that if you want a Rodgers with moving stops, you can have one. Some people who have only a passing interest in the world of digital organs might not be aware of that. Also that they are actually giving advice on which used organs to buy. In fact, when I talked to an Allen dealer in another part of the country about a used MDS-16 (which he wanted $8000 for), he asked me "how did you find out about this organ" and "we aren't supposed to advertise them". I had found out from a service person who I emailed with some esoteric technical questions. He said he knew of a used Allen for sale somewhere. Well, it looks like that policy has been relaxed. But not the one about territories.

Anecdotal, but I wonder if that ADC-3160 is the one I was negotiating to buy back in 2005. The church was slated to replace it; a dealer for another brand was trying to convince me to offer $8000 for it because he was sure he could get the congregation to move it for that price. Maybe they decided to stay with Allen and this dealership ended up with it. It had the exact same custom oak finish, which, for a smaller model in that era was kinda rare. (remember, dark wood was still the trend back then) We had several progressively hostile email exchanges. I read a couple months later that he had died of a heart attack - the news was posted on the erstwhile web site for his dealership. I ended up getting an ADC-1140 with the exact same tonal capabilities (not taking the speaker complement into account) for $1000. No 3160 ever sold for more than $5000 on ebay, and that was an incredibly rare piano black finish. And that was before the recession that started in 2008.

BTW, at least they are offering a warranty for that high price on the 3160. Also, I wonder what some of our Rodgers fans will think of what they say about their manufacturing.
          Last edited by circa1949; 03-15-2013, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Organ Stop, the Allen dealer in San Diego, has had a used organ page for as long as I can remember.http://www.organstop.com/wordpress-2.8.3/wordpress/
            -Admin

Allen 965
            Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
            Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
            Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

Dealers who advertise prices on their website always have to allow a considerable amount to the asking price in case there is a trade-in involved, and often trade-ins have almost zero value. Offer these dealers cash prices, and a deal can often be struck at a more reasonable price.

I believe dealers can offer used instruments outside their territory (I know that at least this seems OK with Allen)--but moving costs come into consideration.

Remember that a dealer has to cover overhead on used sales--just a fact of doing business.

The Heritage situation is unusual--Heritage used to be the Rodgers organ dealer for a big territory centered in Utah. But Rodgers no longer has any LDS models approved by the Church, so Heritage talked Allen into giving them the dealership, so now they sell Allen. The former Allen rep is now the Rodgers dealer. Heritage has a nice, large showroom, so they have to move a reasonable number of organs to cover overhead--I suspect the LDS organ installation stipend goes a long way in covering that.

Comment

Working...
              X