• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KleinErzahler
    replied
    Re: Threads

Greetings,

Wow, I wasn't aware of the thread feature. Although I must admit, having switched to the threaded feature to check it out, it doesn't look as purty as the flat view. Nevertheless, I shall make double, no, triple sure that I reply to the exact post that I intend to write about.

Up until now I must be about the worst offender in this regard! Sorry!

- Nate

Leave a comment:

• NYCFarmboy
    replied

save the personal comments on other members for the greasepit please.

Leave a comment:

• Tibia and Vox
    replied

Threads? Ummm... Polyester/tweed blend...

Leave a comment:

• LifeWithLoopy
    replied

Im none of those

Leave a comment:

• al
    replied

Remember, not everyone here is serious, intelligent, or straight, or capable of same, with or without a handfull of degrees.

Leave a comment:

• dec
    replied

It seems that what makes your day is being completely insulting.

Leave a comment:

• LifeWithLoopy
    replied

Walmart is not funny, Walmart is traumatic. Trying to cram a Grand Marquis into a parking spot at Walmart, is masochism. Although that video was funny.

Leave a comment:

• buzzyreed
    replied

That completely made my day!

That is the funniest thing I've seen all day, and I've been to Wal-Mart today.

Leave a comment:

• soundboarddude
    replied

Hahahahahahhaa

Very funny!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

This may help

Posting and You

That about says it all right there.

Leave a comment:

• Admin
    replied

As others here have observed topic drift is inherent in any conversation and is unavoidable.
    The drift from the original topic is often slow making it difficult to identify precisely where the original topic has been lost. Even if this point can be identified, software limitations prevent moderators from moving parts of the threads into a new topic.

In addition to trying to stay on topic, there are a couple of things forum members can do help with the problem.

First, when posting a reply, click the reply button on the particular message you wish to reply to rather than the last message posted. For example, I'm replying here to dec rather to buzzy even though buzzy's message happens to be the most recent posted. If I wanted to make a comment on buzzy's humor, rather than dec's complaint, then I'd click on buzzy's message to reply.

The reason for this is that the Organ Forum is fully threaded. What that means is that each reply is capable of creating a thread of it's own. You can see what I mean by changing the Display option at the top of screen from Flat to Threaded. You can use this option to avoid navigating down those sub-threads that have drifted from the main topic, but this works best only if people click the reply button for the particular message they are commenting on rather than the last one posted.

Viewing this thread in the threaded view indicates to me that most here are just clicking on the last message in the thread when they reply rather than being selective.

In addition you can change the subject header in your reply. For example, if you are reading dec's thread about left handed organists and someone asks how to build a strong left hand, by all means reply to that particular post, but also change the subject in that reply to "building a strong left hand". That helps establish the thread flow for those using the flat view.

Leave a comment:

• Tutti
    replied

I hate people who complain about this crap. Feel lucky that you have people replying.

Same thing happens in face to face conversations as well.

If you want every post to be on-topic, find an organ email list that is moderated by a fascist. Until then, quicherbichin.

Leave a comment:

• gsneide
    replied

Buzzy,
    Tell us how you REALLY feel! lol

Leave a comment:

• buzzyreed
    replied

My own grandfather tells me that the anti-nuclear demonstrators secretly send valentines to scientists. You know, the cowboys say, it's true that finite element fanatics travel far to see babes. Rush Limbaugh keeps insisting that the New Yorkers are from outer space, say the hermits. Did you see the episode of Friends where caffeine addicts shout imprecations at sanitary engineers?

Why do endocrinologists say that shepherds will someday destroy the shellfish? Rolfers maim Texaco managers. Jimmy Swaggart, with an enigmatic smile, said that the seismologists give wide berth to student senators.

At the impeachment hearings, it was generally concluded that anthropologists are all district attorneys.

I dont' know, I think my mind works pretty linearly... Now what was I saying.. oh, yes, maimed Irsihman...

Leave a comment:

• andyg
    replied

I'll repeat what I said when dec brought initially this up (off topic, I think! LOL) in another thread.

Natural conversation is not linear, and there's a lot that would be lost if we occasionally didn't go off at a tangent. Maybe dec has a point in some that some of the threads have gone W-A-Y too far away but, on the whole, I think this forum strikes a pretty good balance. We can always look back up the thread sometimes (we all do, don't we???) and get back on topic without actually being told to.

In short, if you want a BIG change of topic, sure, definitely start a new thread and post a 'link' to it in the thread you've come from. Otherwise, let's not be too rigid and go with the natural flow of our e-conversations.

Andy G

PS: dec, please don't give up on the forum, as your previous comments suggested you might. Your insight, opinions and experience are valued.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X